Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

best type of board for banked slalom

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm going to have a go at a banked slalom race next weekend, and won't have much opportunity to try the course or different boards on it beforehand. They are doing an over 40's race Very Happy

So question is what's the best setup to use for it? Likely to be spring conditions.

I have a Rossi XV (168w), Hovercraft (160), Jones frontier (164w), and NOW drives.

Usually ride the rossi at +22 +6, and the other two at +18 - 10 or thereabouts.

Can also get hold of a slush slasher, flagship or mountain twin instead.

So what's best - fast and carvey or something a bit softer and looser, or no tail?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You don't say if you've ridden banked turns before, but if not they feel very different at first approach.

Initially you feel a big pull up and out of the bank if you don't fully go committed to ride that angle. In effect you've got to use your normal riding plus whatever angle the banking is from flat else you'll turn up the bank. Feels dramatic but normal once you get accustomed to it.

Whether you'd need a specific change of board I'm not sure. "hooky" tip and tail may make your initial learning seem more difficult if you don't get layed into the corner quickly enough, but also what you need to keep you on chosen line if you get it right soon enough. So could be good if you nail it but potential to feel weird if you let the outside edge get engagement at all as it'll just steer you up the bank.

It's similar if you ride berms (banking) on moto-x, mtb, skis etc that getting the turn in phase quickly and concisely actioned will give you the most potential.

How you interpret that to board choice is fairly personal, I'd say you need a strong steering edge as it's going to build up centrifugal load pretty fast so you don't want something that's not going to hang on. But your technique will need to get with it fairly quickly if you've not experienced it before.

They are great fun though when you ride them well, sounds like you're soon going to find out. Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've only messed about on a few but I used softer more forgiving boards than my usual full camber board. They will get a lot of ruts and loose snow on them quite quickly, I would say take your Hovercraft.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks - I love bombing banked groomers at the local, but never tried to do that with racing in mind, and not really on something as narrow as a slalom course - so only really used my boards with the intention of getting some nice fast carves in round the corners.

I'll jump on the hovercraft and see how it goes. Might also try positive binding angles to see how that goes.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hang11 wrote:
Might also try positive binding angles to see how that goes.

Wouldn't attempt to advise on the board, but the above I don't think would be a bad idea ......... something as strange as 30/15 positive might be worth a punt .......
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy