Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which French Resorts in January

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

Currently planning my ski trip for the upcoming winter and I have a bit of a dilemma deciding which ski resort to go to.

I'm convinced I will do the Ski trip with UCPA which limits a bit my resort-options.
I have decided I'll ski for two weeks this season. For context: I'm a newbie and going to ski on-piste, probably mostly reds.

I'm fairly confident I will go on the week of 06.01-13.01 to Tignes (Val Claret)
And as for the other week; it can either be beforehand (30.12-06.01) or afterwards (13.01-20.01) though I am leaning a bit towards the former.

Currently trying to decide between Val Thorens, Flaine and Argentiere (Chamonix)

I think all resorts will offer me plenty of good skiing, and nightlife comparison is also less of a concern, I mostly wonder what should I choose in regards to the weather.
I wonder if because I chose Tignes it's best I pick a location that isn't similar to it (high altitude, above the tree line) like Val Thorens in case of extremely strong weather, or if reading every online comment to ever be written on the matter is causing me to be a bit too concerned for no reason and choosing any of the three would (most likely) be perfectly fine.

Also, do you guys think I would have a problem hitchhiking/using BlaBlaCar to reach the resorts from Geneva/Lyon (and of-course getting from one to the other)? I used BlaBlaCar last year and it didn't seem like a stroke of luck, a lot of drivers during the season it seemed, but was wondering nonetheless.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Void Argentiere unless you are into off piste skiing. Flaine last year struggled for snow in January but no season is the same. I’d consider Val Thorens but if was me I’d stay in Tignes for the two weeks. Getting from one resort to another is not easy and you will lose a days skiing travelling.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For an on piste red run skier you can't really beat the 3V, I would probably plump for 2 weeks in Val Thorens. The 3V is so big that you won't feel that you've exhausted it in 2 weeks but by week 2 you won't have to be constantly looking at the map which is nice. Tignes would also work for 2 week stay but depending on how quickly you progress you perhaps could feel that you've completed the stuff in your ability after 2 weeks
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It will be much busier in the week from 30th December. 13th January to the 20th is a no brainer
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hakko, I would stick to blablacar, but if nothing has turned up then catch the train from Geneva to bourg st Maurice and the local bus to Tignes (or blablabus to chambery on onwards from there)

As to which second week, I’d go for the 13th. New year week will be very busy. I’ve done new year in Tignes a few times and though the new year party is excellent the pistes are very very busy.

As to the resort I’d be tempted to either stay in Tignes, perhaps trying some of the other activities on offer, ice climbing or scuba diving under the ice on the lake for example. But if you do want to loose a day’s skiing with a transfer then get the bus back down to bourg st Maurice and the funicular up to les arcs and spend some time skiing in the trees.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I’d avoid new year week, it’s mega pricey and mega busy. Go 6th jan for 2 weeks.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeah okay, after reading everything it seems like the consensus is that my best bet is to head to Tignes from the 06.01 till the 20.01
Might just do that
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd do 2 weeks in Tignes, 6-20 Jan.
13 days skiing over 2 x 6 days.
A 13 day pass could be cheaper than 2 x 6 day ones (depending on your choice of 2nd resort).
You should be wanting to progress your skiing - plenty of opportunity to do that in the Espace Killy to blacks & Naturides (and the pistes in EK tend to be be undergraded).
Saturday driving to & from French ski resorts is very busy. And don't forget to add the costs of tolls, fuel, parking and (probably, as I suspect a hire car wouldn't come with them) chains.
If I were doing this I would be looking at local transport options, especially as you are doing Saturday transfers. Coach or shared private minibus would probably be cheaper and definitely more convenient than train (no changes, no transport from station to resort), with coach dropping you off in Val Claret, as would shared private (or more likely at your door).
Finally re weather - EK has plenty of tree skiing - into Boisses/1800 and Brevieres on the Tignes side and into la Daille, Val d'Isere, Laisinant and Fornet on the Val d'Isere side.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 18-07-23 17:00; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I absolutely love Tignes Val d'Isere ski area with all the challenges but 2 skiing weeks in ValTho (read 3V huge area) make more sense to me.
More mileage. More resorts. More different pistes and challenges. More apres ski. More evening fun.
And as a newbie, more decent reds to progress upon. Val d'isere reds are not to be trusted Laughing those returning to the village have a blackish hue you might not enjoy at first.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
But you can download?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I’d catch the train to Bourg and go to Les Arcs the first week. Then bus to Tignes the second week. Or vice versa.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
But you can download?

That's a statement not a question....yes you can download
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I went to the 3 Valleys for the first time in the EoSB this year and thought that the quality of skiing was excellent. It is much better than Tignes and Val D in my opinion. Certainly a great choice for piste miles and lots of good blues and reds.

Perhaps look at Les Arcs for the next week and base yourself near the Vanoise express to benefit from an easy link to La Plagne. Similar but different.

Certainly go for the 6-20 Jan rather than the New Years Eve week, which will be busy.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Klamm Franzer,
OP is using UCPA, so wouldn't have a choice of accommodation location.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Personally I'd go to Meribel for two weeks. I like skiing in early Jan but the weather can be bleak. VT in a white out in moon base alpha. I'd like better access to tree skiing for bad weather days and Courchevel has loads but is a long way from VT. If you base yourself in Mottaret you have quick access to VT and Courchevel.
snow report
@jedster, I didn’t know that there was a ucpa centre in meribel. Is it new this year?
snow report
@johnE there isn't a UCPA center in Meribel.

Appreciate the help nonetheless, the more I'm looking into it the more it seems like sticking to Tignes for two weeks between the 06.01 - 20.01 would be best for me.
snow conditions
Hitchhiking will be no problem at all, from Lyon esp easy just have a sheet of paper with your end location prepared
latest report
well I have just booked 2 weeks in Landry ....15 minutes to Montchavin and 15 to Peisey Vallandry had excelent skiing last January in Paradiski but stopped in Bourg which was a bit of a trek to get to the slopes we wanted to ski..
snow report
johnE wrote:
@jedster, I didn’t know that there was a ucpa centre in meribel. Is it new this year?

oops poor reading on my part
ski holidays
@DaveD, interesting suggestion.
Can you please add some info, did you drive a car up the mountain each morning (how were parking and road conditions) or is there a (hopefully frequent) ski bus that can be taken around 08:30-9 AM and back in the late afternoon?
snow conditions
drporat wrote:
@DaveD, interesting suggestion.
Can you please add some info, did you drive a car up the mountain each morning (how were parking and road conditions) or is there a (hopefully frequent) ski bus that can be taken around 08:30-9 AM and back in the late afternoon?

As I said last season we stopped in Bourg but the funicular died for 5 days so we had to drive ..the other end of les arcs is Val Roget so we did that for a couple of days but it a bit limited across there so for the last 3 went up to Piesey Vilandry and skied from there ..the road was no problem and there seemed like plenty of parking and it was most convenient ...I couldnt find much reasonable accommodation this year and I had noticed Landry at the bottom of the hill which gives the choice of going to Montchavin on the La Plagne side ...I think there is a bus but the hotel I found offers a shuttle https://www.maisoncaramel.com/?PGFLngID=1
snow conditions
Hakko wrote:
I'm convinced I will do the Ski trip with UCPA which limits a bit my resort-options.

I'm guessing that is because you are travelling solo right?

Are you skiing solo out of choice or because you don't have skiing buddies? Because ultimately skiing is optimal when with others - cost, safety wise, options, etc. So you may want to consider SH bashes or the board on here for hooking up with ski buddies.

Hakko wrote:
I mostly wonder what should I choose in regards to the weather.

And rightly so IMO for a January trip as it can be very bleak and the trees can be your friend. Lots of trees either side of the Vanoise Express for example. As opposed to moonscapes of Tignes, Val T.

Another thing, being a newbie and skiing piste mostly you should consider smaller places like Valmeiner. As you will get more bang for your buck. Don't know if there are UCPA there though.
latest report
If you want better value look at UCPA in Val Cenis - 2 week pass is approx €370 and also allows you to ski at the other Haute Maurienne resorts
latest report
andmelffion wrote:
If you want better value look at UCPA in Val Cenis - 2 week pass is approx €370 and also allows you to ski at the other Haute Maurienne resorts

That's weird, I can find mentions of UCPA Val Cenis but it doesn't have any google page nor does it have any upcoming programs browsing ucpa's site. Am I missing something?

Layne wrote:
I'm guessing that is because you are travelling solo right?

Are you skiing solo out of choice or because you don't have skiing buddies? Because ultimately skiing is optimal when with others - cost, safety wise, options, etc. So you may want to consider SH bashes or the board on here for hooking up with ski buddies.

And rightly so IMO for a January trip as it can be very bleak and the trees can be your friend. Lots of trees either side of the Vanoise Express for example. As opposed to moonscapes of Tignes, Val T.

Another thing, being a newbie and skiing piste mostly you should consider smaller places like Valmeiner. As you will get more bang for your buck. Don't know if there are UCPA there though.

Well, I do like travelling solo in general (though it's possible I'll go with friends this time), but I went with UCPA a few months ago to Serre Che and had an amazing experience, so for the time being I feel content with still using UCPA.

The bashes look awesome, I'll strongly consider going to one in the future! Though I am afraid all of you have been skiing for 30 years in a row and can carve snow more naturally than I can walk on my feet.

Regarding the weather, do you think if poor conditions were to happen I'd have absolutely no where to ski? It seemed like there are possibilities.
snow conditions
[quote="Hakko"]
andmelffion wrote:

That's weird, I can find mentions of UCPA Val Cenis but it doesn't have any google page nor does it have any upcoming programs browsing ucpa's site. Am I missing something?

I dont profess to know anything about UCPA but this link should take you to the Val Cenis page and they also have one in Valloire which links with Valmeinier.

https://www.ucpa.com/destination/village-sportif/val-cenis

https://www.ucpa.com/destinations/valloire
ski holidays
Hakko wrote:
Regarding the weather, do you think if poor conditions were to happen I'd have absolutely no where to ski? It seemed like there are possibilities.

Some lifts will be open. The resort knows even if they have only a couple of lifts open they won't have to give refunds. So for example one time I was in Arc 2000 Arcabulle and Saint Esprit was open but that was about it.

The problem is how much will be open and how poor visibility will be in order to have enjoyable skiing. Below the treeline is still great, even with wind and/or poor vis. But, you only get the below the treeline at a certain altitude so snow coverage can then become an issue. But in Jan I favour the former over the latter in general. A couple of years ago I was in Les Coches at Christmas and we had 2.5 days of snow and poor vis. But we had a great time on either side of the Vanoise Express.
latest report
jedster wrote:
Personally I'd go to Meribel for two weeks. I like skiing in early Jan but the weather can be bleak. VT in a white out in moon base alpha. I'd like better access to tree skiing for bad weather days and Courchevel has loads but is a long way from VT. If you base yourself in Mottaret you have quick access to VT and Courchevel.

This. Mottaret is in my opinion the best located place to stay by far to access all 3 Vallees.

OP, you won't regret 2 weeks in either EK or 3V, but I think a week in each would be even better.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The UCPA in Val Thorens is a bit bleak. It is actually outside of Val Tho in a weird (IMO) round building. Would not like to be there for 2 weeks, especially if going without a group of friends. I seem to remeber that UCPA La Plagne is a newer, more comfortable center
latest report
I think there are two UCPA centres in La Plagne. daughter and family went to the magnificently-located Belle Plagne one for a "family week" at Christmas, before Covid, and liked it very much
snow report
Listening wrote:
The UCPA in Val Thorens is a bit bleak. It is actually outside of Val Tho in a weird (IMO) round building. Would not like to be there for 2 weeks, especially if going without a group of friends.

There was a recent trip report here from someone who stayed at the Val Thorens UCPA last winter, they seemed to have enjoyed it and were there alone.
ski holidays
@rjs, the skiing is great in the 3 valleys so no doubt that people enjoy themselves. However the Val Thorens UCPA has some specific issues and being stuck 15 minutes away from anything else for 2 weeks can get quite claustrophobic IMV.
snow report
rjs wrote:
Listening wrote:
The UCPA in Val Thorens is a bit bleak. It is actually outside of Val Tho in a weird (IMO) round building. Would not like to be there for 2 weeks, especially if going without a group of friends.

There was a recent trip report here from someone who stayed at the Val Thorens UCPA last winter, they seemed to have enjoyed it and were there alone.

This one:
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5120985&highlight=ucpa#5120985
latest report
Of course, if you were thinking of staying in Tignes for both weeks, another option could be to stay in Val d'Isere at the UCPA there for one of the weeks.

That would give you a second resort experience for apres etc in the evening but mean changing between resorts would be easier. You could get a local bus or taxi

It might also help in terms of a single lift pass for the whole stay.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy