Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria accommodation recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Hi snow heads

It’s that time of year to book our annual ski short break. 4 lads, mid 40’s. Like a few beers but not going mental.

Having done Tignes, Dolomites and Bansko we are looking for a new venue. Austria is on our radar but only one of has been before and it was many years ago.
We usually do a short 3 days skiing and 4 nights accommodation.
We have looked at sunweb and found a few deals, but where in Austria should we be heading mid March?
Looking for accommodation of a decent 3* or above, but not looking for luxury. Happy to do self catering. Ideally close to lifts and bars/restaurants.
All intermediate skiers. Can get down all runs but love blues and reds.

Any suggestions?
Cheers
Smag
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In many ways mid March is a really good time to go skiing, the days are longer and there is a better chance of sunny weather. The downside, in some years (last season was exceptional for its length), is that warm sunny days mean poor snow conditions especially in the afternoons. Ideally you should head for one of the higher areas like the Arlberg or Ischgl but I suspect you might prefer somewhere not so expensive, though if the sun shines you will have a great time. If the snow is good places such as Ski Amade or Saalbach Hinterglemm would be perfect but there is a risk (I know this will raise howls from the SH fan club but a significant part of the skiing there is both low and south facing) of poor snow. A couple of places with relatively high skiing (few valley runs) would be the Zillertal and the Montafon resorts. In the Zillertal, Mayrhofen or Kaltenbach would probably make good bases though Zell am Ziller is OK too. Innsbruck is the nearest airport but not so many flights, otherwise Munich and a longer transfer. For the Montafon either Gaschurn or St. Gallenkirch, Zürich is the best airport.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the info.
Yes, avoiding expensive resorts is important to us.
We can go anytime really, I mentioned mid March as that is when we normally go. We could go anytime but deffo want to avoid school hols.
Austria is appealing as apparently Apres prices are cheaper than France.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you can go anytime I would look at the end of January. Enough base should have built up by then and the cool weather should ensure the snow is in good condition. Good chance of powder too.
If you go at that time nearly everywhere will be an option. Throw a dart at a map of western Austria and go.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Here is the school holiday chart (ie. when to avoid) https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=139730. Between New Year and 8th Feb, then 29th Feb onward should be quiet in Austria. I tend to go to SH in mid Jan, Hinterglemm for Half term with the kids and various different areas in early March (based in Zell). The snow usually holds up well into mid march but you have to pick which slopes you do in the morning and which hold up better in the afternoon. Austrian lift infrastructure, beer, nightlife and skier ability are the best in Europe IMO. The lifts are a revelation compared to La Belle France in terms of capacity and niceness. Nice big, wide slopes too in most places.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 17-09-19 23:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have skied in Austria in mid-late March in each of the last five years. I'm a Yank, so its a long way to go for bad conditions of any kind, whether related to snow, weather or crowds. I've chosen that timeframe primarily to avoid crowds, and that has worked very well. The snow and weather have been as expected for March, which has meant mostly firm and fast mornings and mush in the afternoon (or sooner). Lots of sun, mostly good vis. Some exceptions of course...new snow, some rain, but mostly great spring skiing. I had avoided Austria for years because I was concerned about its relatively low elevation, but I've learned first here and now by experience that you're skiing mostly on pastureland so very little snow is required for coverage. Snowmaking coverage is also excellent at the major resorts I've visited. The Arlberg would be great for your group; you hear about royalty and swanky etc at times and its definitely there but I'm not royalty and I stay in a very modest, comfortable inn in Lech and love it so much I'm returning in March even though I'm ready to ski somewhere else...my innkeeper is so sweet I just have to go back. Nightlife in Lech is not extensive but sufficient; over in St Anton there's all anyone wants to handle. The slopes at St Anton will be more crowded and the energy level is higher than Lech, Zurs or Warth, though. Also check out Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis. SHs turned me on to SFL and I tried it last year, will return in March when I leave Lech. Love blues and reds? You're there. Don't let their focus on kids throw you. Its good for everyone: the kids go to the many great kid places, leaving the others for the grownups. At least in March!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@smagsmith, if you go a bit earlier then I would say SkiWelt, Saalbach Hinterglemm, Ski Amade would all suit. Saalbach could well be a good option especially if you like a drink or two, there is an active thread about the resort, put up a post there for more info and you will get replies. If you go to SkiWelt I would suggest Brixen as it allows good access to all the skiing and easy to get to the Kitzbühel area too, Söll is the traditional spot for Brits (it has a great toboggan run). If you can get flights in / out of Salzburg then either SH or one of the Ski Amade resorts are nearby which is important for a short trip, Flachau probably a good option in Ski Amade.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Saalbach Hinterglemm would be perfect but there is a risk (I know this will raise howls from the SH fan club but a significant part of the skiing there is both low and south facing) of poor snow

No howls from me wink , but, the point should be made that the base skiing in Saalbach (1,003m) is higher than Kitzbuehel, Soll, Mayrhofen, etc. Also the 408km of skiing available from this winter includes much north-facing skiing across the Ski Circus, in particular on the slopes of Leogang, Fieberbrunn, Zell am See, and the Schattberg and Zwoelferkogel mountains in the main Glemm valley. I would estimate that there must be around 200km of north-facing skiing. That is not to say that that the south-facing slopes won't be well worth skiing until at least early afternoon, and in fact all day if it's not warm and sunny, or if you don't mind soft snow. In the last couple of seasons, my own assessment has been that the best times to ski in Saalbach have been mid-December, mid/late January, and mid-March - great snow, cold temperatures, and relatively few people.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks guys. Plenty for us to get stuck into there.
Should also of said we are piste skiers only so not worried about off piste.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@smagsmith, Kitzbuhel, fly Jet2 from LBA to Salzburg and book a 3* Pension independently, forget tour operators for weekend breaks, look on Kitz tourist info. Stay in Kirchberg, rent a car for transfers, you'll struggle in Kitz to get weekend accom unless you stay 4* +.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@smagsmith, Ski Amade would be my tip too. Pick up a hire car at Salzburg Airport for the 45 min transfer to Flachau. Snowspace Flachau ticks the boxes for your skiing requirements and the Apres is all at the bottom of the runs in true Austria style. Have a look at our Facebook Page @theredandwhiteskicompany for more info and ideas.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@smagsmith,another vote for mid-late January from me. Even the week that ends January and begins February is still pretty quiet and if the snow is not good at that time then likely the whole winter is pretty crap.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi All

Again, thanks for the info and recommendations.
I am getting a little confused over the different resorts/ski areas/regions. I have tried googling but not very successfully.
If I give an example of how I am classifying things, Tignes is resort, espace killy is the ski area, french Rhône alps is the region.

Does anyone have a link to a site with this type of info for Austria?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If it helps, and taking Saalbach as an example: Saalbach-Hinterglemm/Leogang/Fieberbrunn are the resorts, the Ski Circus is the ski area, and Salzburgerland is the region.
The same will apply to most of the other Austrian resorts, which belong to e.g. the Ski Welt, the Ski Amade, the Ski Juwel and the Arlberg ski areas, and are in the regions of Salzburgerland, the Tirol, and Vorarlberg.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nightrace - Schladming - End of January. End of search. You're welcome Cool
snow conditions
Thank you
snow conditions
Try

https://www.saalbach.com/en

https://www.skiwelt.at/en/

https://www.snow-space.com/en/Villages/Flachau

https://www.kitzbuehel.com/en/winter-holiday

https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/winter

You can book accommodation through all of these sites.
ski holidays
smagsmith wrote:
Hi All

Again, thanks for the info and recommendations.
I am getting a little confused over the different resorts/ski areas/regions. I have tried googling but not very successfully.
If I give an example of how I am classifying things, Tignes is resort, espace killy is the ski area, french Rhône alps is the region.

Does anyone have a link to a site with this type of info for Austria?

Does this help?

https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resorts/austria/
latest report
Skiamade is superb. And you can trek up to obertauern early midweek if you want a bit more altitude for the day
ski holidays
Last 3 years booked flights Wednesday to Sunday in early March and booked accommodation via booking.com or like last year via their official tourism website.
Had to really keep checking though as the dates don;t always come up as available. This worked for us in bagging appartments in Schladming, Solden and Saalbach.
latest report
Recommendations for Saalbach, the Arlberg, etc are spot on.

Flexible accomodation for a few odd nights can be awkward though. Having fulfilled a similar brief half a dozen times, main tip is to avoid spanning the weekend/changeover. Friday-->Monday = impossible (at this stage, hoteliers are thinking that kills 2 potential full week bookings), Saturday-->Tuesday = tricky, Sunday-->Wednesday = take your pick.

When briefs are particularly awkward or comrades inflexible or strapped for cash, I fall back on one of 2 bankers:
1. Mautendorf. Small non-ski town 1.5 hours from Salzburg which we booked utterly by accident having (in the very early internet days) confused our hotel with one in a different resort (not finding out til we turned up in Austria at the other resort!). Turned out to be a total winner - we were half board for £40, and skied 1 day at st. michael (5 minutes away), 1 day at Katschberg (10 mins away) and 1 day at Obertauern (20 mins away)
2. Niederau. A ton of cheap accommodation here so you can always get something. Accessible from Munich so cheap flights and the option to ski a full day then fly home on a late flight so saving a night's accomodation and usually more importantly a day's holiday. Niederau is fine for a day or two's skiing, and is now on the pass with Auffach/Alpbach via the ski bus, or the ski welt is 20 minutes drive away.
latest report
@JimiHendrix, greetings to another Seattlite!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy