Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jackets without pass pockets on the sleeve

Poster: A snowHead
Robboj junior major has spotted an Arcteryx jacket for sale way less than half price that is 'allegedly' from last winters ski range.

As you may have guessed from the title it doesn't have a pass pocket on the sleeve but seems to have a little pass wallet stitched into the inside of the left had side front pocket that is sited in the middle of the front and from the look of it it will probably have the pass sitting just below his rib cage.

I once skied with someone whom had bought a good outdoor jacket that didn't have the sleeve pocket which left him contortioning at every lift to get it to read from a chest pocket or a lower front pocket and on some occasions having to take the card out to get through. Whatever way, it was much faff. I recall we discussed that the range of the scanner is presumably quite short to ensure that everybody actually has a pass on them and that they don't accidentally pick up someone else's pass etc.

That was easily 12 years ago and a lot of newer lifts or readers may have changed things. So, does anyone have such a jacket and if so does the pass work from the front pocket any better than it used to?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have mine in my pocket of trousers. I often change my jackets when on a trip so saves forgetting. However I am 6' 3" so depends how tall junior is.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Until recently I had a jacket with only a lift/map pocket just offset from the middle of the chest ( dating back to when lift passes were paper on a elasticated cord), it wasnt too big a deal with the contactless ones. Sometimes it might be a bit high so you had to stoop but shouldn’t be an issue here assuming jnr is not full adult sized.

But a 1st world problem really.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I once blindly bought a jacket with no sleeve pocket. i used the google pocket.
It was a faff trying to position my chest to read the pass.
Could always get gloves with a pocket & hope a lift pass will fit depending on hand/glove size.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Card readers have become much smarter. I wouldn't worry about it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There used to be ski gloves with a zip pocket on the back of the hand which would take a credit card size pass, don't know if they're still made
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes. have used them lots in last few years (esp after a ski pass pocket with a little window de-laminated mid run...).
I think the scanners are longer/bigger and have better range, as well as using different tech like contactless
It helps if the pocket used is on the left side (most scanner are that side)

Main issue seems to be not having your mobile phone near by to interfere
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hawkesbaynz wrote:
I have mine in my pocket of trousers. I often change my jackets when on a trip so saves forgetting. However I am 6' 3" so depends how tall junior is.

He's 6'1" so that might well work?

The phone pocket is inside on the right hand side so should be far enough away to avoid any problems?

He got new Hestra Armys last Xmas so I don't think new gloves will be on the radar.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I often ski a top layer without a pass pocket, I just carry the pass on a bit of cord around my neck, or in the zip pocket of fleece, always works fine.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've never owned a ski jacket but always bought gloves with the pass in pocket on the back of the hand.

The other option would be to buy/make some elasticated pass holders to go around your upper arm, just the ones bouncers have for their ID, and wear them inside your jacket. E.G. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIA-SECURITY-ID-CARD-HOLDER-BADGE-HOLDER-MARSHALL-DOORMAN-SKI-PASS-HOLDER/201631925161?hash=item2ef23303a9:m:mF8ynXV1126soEh7SFV5TWA

Extra faff? A tiny bit.
Extra cost? £1.98.
Less than a Arcteryx jacket WITH a pass pcket? Just a little, yes.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@robboj, I am the same height as your son, and always use the outside lower pocket or my trouser pocket.

I have never had any problems at all so buy the bargain jacket.

One of my friends placed his in the RHS pocket a few years ago and did the contortionist act for a few days until we pointed out the scanner was on the left....................
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I still have last season's Arc jacket, and mine has a little pocket in the left sleeve.

I think I use my pants pocket myself, for those types of passes (eg Whistler's card).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks all for your comments. As I said it has a little pass card sized velcroed pocket inside the left hand front pocket and on closer inspection has all the other ski jacket (as opposed to mountaineering jacket) traits so must be what its designed for?

@Mjit, Good idea!

@GreenDay, Yeah, knowing him though if its in the trouser pocket there is a high chance of loss Confused After all he's only 20 and a masters student! rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mjit wrote:
I've never owned a ski jacket but always bought gloves with the pass in pocket on the back of the hand.

The other option would be to buy/make some elasticated pass holders to go around your upper arm, just the ones bouncers have for their ID, and wear them inside your jacket. E.G. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIA-SECURITY-ID-CARD-HOLDER-BADGE-HOLDER-MARSHALL-DOORMAN-SKI-PASS-HOLDER/201631925161?hash=item2ef23303a9:m:mF8ynXV1126soEh7SFV5TWA

Extra faff? A tiny bit.
Extra cost? £1.98.
Less than a Arcteryx jacket WITH a pass pcket? Just a little, yes.

These work well.

FWIW for our kids we tape them inside their helmets, squeezed between polystyrene shell, and which places them at the right height to the sensors and passes won’t get lost.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
He'll be fine as long as the pocket is on his left and he doesn't keep a phone or other passes next to it.
snow conditions
@Mjit, have used the elasticated pass holder. Wore it on my sleeve inside my jacket so I couldn't loose it. Worked a treat.
latest report
I have hestra army Gloves as does junior. Lift pass kept in left glove between glove and lined and had no issues
snow conditions
Always keep mine in my pants pocket. 6’1” never have an issue.

Don’t usually wear a jacket unless the weather is really bad and never had a jacket with a pass pocket on the sleeve
ski holidays
@lpsmc1, now that’s a smart idea!
snow conditions
lpsmc1 wrote:
I have hestra army Gloves as does junior. Lift pass kept in left glove between glove and lined and had no issues

I keep mine in my Hestras, mostly as I have a couple of jackets and you only forget your pass once!
ski holidays
Ozboy wrote:
FWIW for our kids we tape them inside their helmets, squeezed between polystyrene shell, and which places them at the right height to the sensors and passes won’t get lost.

Please tell me the reality is as good as the mental image that conjures - of your children skiing up to the gate and seeming to headbutt the post Smile
ski holidays
I'm sure it won't matter but I wouldn't want to put anything in my helmet.

For Junior. Tell him to put it in his right hand chest or trouser pocket. Nothing funnier than seeing people doing the ski gate dance. Twisting, slamming chest/hip on receiver, reversing out with embarrassment etc. One day it will be me but until then it brings a smile to my face and a slight feeling of smug superiority. Until I pee in my glove hanging from my superbly designed glove leashes or something similar.
ski holidays
Back pocket and furiously twerk at the sensor/liftie. Also works for oystercard on the tube and for paying for coffee in Starbucks.
snow report
Mjit wrote:
Ozboy wrote:

Please tell me the reality is as good as the mental image that conjures - of your children skiing up to the gate and seeming to headbutt the post Smile

Just a gentle tap but normally gets picked up when in close proximity.
ski holidays
Found this guide to ski pass holders. The wrist and goggle pass holders look good while retractable lanyards are now old school.

https://thinkvail.com/best-ski-pass-holder-10-ways-to-keep-your-pass-secure-accessible
snow report
Mjit wrote:
I've never owned a ski jacket....

Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
Thanks folks for all your input. Some very useful solutions to remove the problem if indeed it exists. As for the jacket, it turns out the reason it's so cheap (£216) is because of a stain or mark the location and size of which is bad enough to make him think twice. It has never been sold and returned but was on display all last season then put into storage and just brought back out again to the sale rail.
snow conditions
Two thoughts:

1. Why not just put it in a pocket of your ski 'pants'? Incredibly easy and works perfectly.
2. Attaching it to your googles strap seems perverse. Why deliberately site the pass outside the zone of the RFID reader?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any pocket on your left seems to work: jacket, pants, upper arm, wrist, etc,. Only exception to this is when you end up in a turnstile where the RFID reader is on the righthand side, and then having the lift pass near the end of your arm such as a wrist pocket or glove pocket, makes it easier to wave the lift pass at the reader.
latest report
Bergmeister wrote:
Mjit wrote:

Shocked Shocked

Perhaps I should have said "ski jacket".

I've always skied in my Buffalo Mountain Shirt. Not in any way fashionable (the actual design has changed for about 30 years and last update was to add grey to the previous blue or green colour range!), no ski pass pocket/snow skirt/flux capacitor/other 'must have' feature that everyone managed just fine without before. It does keep me warm and dry though and I've yet to work out what I'm missing out on not having a "ski jacket".
ski holidays
Mjit wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
Mjit wrote:

Shocked Shocked

Perhaps I should have said "ski jacket".

I've always skied in my Buffalo Mountain Shirt. Not in any way fashionable (the actual design has changed for about 30 years and last update was to add grey to the previous blue or green colour range!), no ski pass pocket/snow skirt/flux capacitor/other 'must have' feature that everyone managed just fine without before. It does keep me warm and dry though and I've yet to work out what I'm missing out on not having a "ski jacket".

you've said it already: Fashion - it keeps you warm!

Mind you, Buffalo shirts are quite Ally, and allyness saves lives.... so may be balances out?

Buffalo is great - I used to use some buffalo mountain salopettes on really cold days
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy