Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Half term - Serre Chevalier vs Sauze d’Oulx

Poster: A snowHead
Which resort is quieter for Uk half term? Considering these for 2020 (15/16th Feb)

Many thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No brainer, all the Italian Milky Way resorts are far far quieter.

Many a Serre Che Geezonaire up sticks and leaves the valley for some or all the busy holiday periods.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I thought Sauze was really quiet for the same week this year - combination of factors... no italian 1/2 term, important linking runs closed leaving only black links back to sauce (plenty of bad press due to fatal accident), missing all the good snow dumps (although it was great on piste anyway). 10-15 minute morning queue for the slow lift out of Sauze (clotes) and nothing over 5 mins apart from that - tbh was same across whole via latea except 1 pinch point in Sestriere - nothing like the pics I've seen of queues in some fr resorts in same week.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@NickyJ, that does coincide with a Paris week, so SC will be as busy as it will get, but my half-termers this year commented on how it was not as busy as they expected it to be, and they've stayed before.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This is why it is a contender @MrBoDangles, as what I had been told by the people we are considering booking with it didn’t sound too bad. What I had read seemed to imply it was quieter than other French resorts.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nb this year that week (the main UK half term week) was not "Paris week" I think
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Wildsmith, thanks - but does next year?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@NickyJ, it does coincide next year. Paris holidays are the 2 weeks commencing Sat 8th Feb.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks just found the info next years half term coincides with ZONE B
Northern France, from the Loire Valley to Alsace, excluding Paris area, + Provence ZONE C
Greater Paris and Central southern France - Occitanie

Whereas one just gone it coincided with Zone A and Zone B.

So is Serre Chevalier a destination which having Zone C off - likely to make busier than half term just gone?

Have to say I am favouring Sauze at this point BUT concernedly the hotel hasn’t confirmed if they have availability so may be null and void
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@NickyJ, yes it will be busier, we have lots of Parisien visitors for half-term. This is the map of the areas in case you haven't seen it. https://vacances-scolaires.education/carte-2016.php
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Hells Bells, thanks, I haven’t. Very useful.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@NickyJ, Have you looked at Montgenevre? Two good ski schools and very family friendly.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowymum wrote:
@NickyJ, Have you looked at Montgenevre? Two good ski schools and very family friendly.

Can you recommend anywhere that is likely to have a good price for half term?

Hoping for catered chalet type place, looking for somewhere I can book directly (not TO ideally). Minimum of 6 of us (us and two children plus my parents) but sister may be interested as well as other friends.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nicky - I'm afraid I don't know of catered chalets in Montgenevre. There are some chalets listed on Go Montgenevre website but I suspect they are mainly self catered.

The main catered option I know of is Hotel Annova but obviously that is a hotel rather than chalet and I imagine it would be a lot more expensive than a chalet. We have always stayed in self catering residences - Le Napoleon, Chalet des Dolines and Le Hameau des Airelles. Not that we have done much catering! We order croissants etc to residence reception for breakfast, eat lunch at a mountain restaurant and in the evenings do easy meals. Eg. takeaway hot chicken from the deli, fondue, takeaway pizza!

The resort has an ice rink, Monty Express roller coaster and a recently built pool/spa - the Durancia.

It has worked very well for us self drive and self catering..i can appreciate there might be better options if the catered chalet is the important part of the holiday. Do I recall that you were also thinking of La Rosiere as that has a lot more in the way of catered chalets.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@snowymum, La Rosière is one I have toyed with in the past (mainly due to Esprit having quite a number of chalets there) but won’t touch Esprit at half term due to their prices for that week.

We have done a mixture in past of self catered and catered options. It does make it a much more relaxing holiday if I don’t have to worry about buying in supplies and cooking etc. Especially as the lions share of that and the cleaning up afterwards falls on myself. Just being lazy really but have found a couple of options that look attractive and fall within budget hence those two resorts. I wasn’t exactly inundated with suggestions to my thread asking for suggestions but did get some good options from it. I suspect there isn’t that much that meets what I am hoping for at the price I am prepared to pay Happy
latest report
@NickyJ, Ski Miquel used to have a chalet in Montgenevre.
snow report
Mate who goes to Sauze often met an English girl who manages a bunch of properties I could PM her details.

Montgenevre will be busy as well hence Via Lattea best option.

I drive through it often and see how rammed it is!
snow conditions
@Weathercam, would be good to have other options. Thanks!
ski holidays
We've done Sauze at new year, which they say is a peak week, and it's totally fine. Queue at Clotes first thing, and no other queues to speak of.
Friends who have done Sauze at half term said it was fine, and a real eye-opener vs France in terms of (lack of) busyness.
snow conditions
The Sauze place is already fully booked. Looks like it’s Serre Chevalier
ski holidays
@NickyJ, we've skied there at half-term and more recently New Year. Yes it is busy, but La Plagne in January was busier and we queued at lifts for longer.
latest report
@Hells Bells, thank you
snow report
Serre Che is a big place, well spread. You will enjoy skiing from ridge to ridge.
We've been in mid January 2018 in Briancon near the Prorel gondola, it was the only morning queue (about 10 min waiting time). I imagine others here may recommend a more suitable valley to use as a base for HT.
ski holidays
Went to Montgenevre at New Year week and found it quieter than I expected. Ski miquel is a good option for catered chalet. Zenith Holidays also have a catered chalet next to the bubble lift.
snow conditions
lottster wrote:
Went to Montgenevre at New Year week and found it quieter than I expected. Ski miquel is a good option for catered chalet. Zenith Holidays also have a catered chalet next to the bubble lift.

For Ski Miquel, Do their website prices include flights or is it just the accommodation?
ski holidays
@NickyJ, included.
snow report
@NickyJ, it's all relative, my son has been here for a couple of weeks and when my jaw dropped at the sight of a 10 minute queue for the chairlift out of Villeneuve, he said "that's not a queue" (he normally skis in Whistler Very Happy )
snow conditions
@KenX, I was astounded at the length of the queues in Canada. They were more organised though.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
KenX wrote:
@NickyJ, it's all relative, my son has been here for a couple of weeks and when my jaw dropped at the sight of a 10 minute queue for the chairlift out of Villeneuve, he said "that's not a queue" (he normally skis in Whistler Very Happy )

Similar to conversation with flangesax he was saying how busy it was and we were saying it’s fine... we did Bansko one year that has really reset our baseline Happy
ski holidays
NickyJ wrote:
KenX wrote:

Similar to conversation with flangesax he was saying how busy it was and we were saying it’s fine... we did Bansko one year that has really reset our baseline Happy

Bansko was crazy. We were getting up at 6.30am to ensure we were queuing for the gondola to open at 7.30am. Then once it opened at 8am it took another 40 minutes to get on!
latest report
We have never found Montgenvre that busy but have only been there at Christmas and Easter not half term. It is also linked to Claviere so if you found the slopes busy in Montgenevre you could ski over to claviere whilst the kids are in ski school.
snow report
@Tjhodgson_145, there is a reason we haven’t been back despite having offer of free accommodation!
snow report
We have confirmed with the company in serre Chevalier that we are going to book.
Ski Miquel are interesting and maybe another year. Thanks.
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
Mate who goes to Sauze often met an English girl who manages a bunch of properties I could PM her details.

Montgenevre will be busy as well hence Via Lattea best option.

I drive through it often and see how rammed it is!

Hi,

I am thinking of going to Sauze this winter - would love to know about accom.

Jon
Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy