Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flachau / Ski Amade with a 1 year old

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi! We've booked a group holiday in Feb to Flachau, and we'll have our (only just) 1 year old with us.

Was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of things to do with him? I know of the waterpark / pool in Altenpark, which we intend to go to at some point.

Are there any walking paths - we'll have our Osprey carrier with us so happy to do fairly decent length walks!

We're staying right by the gondola from town, so hoping to go up and meet people skiing for lunch too, is that possible?

Thanks in advance!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@npower, if you mean the achterjet then yes you can take pushchairs up...I have no idea what an osprey carrier is.

While I have a flat in Flachau near the achterjet I don't know anything about specific walking trails although I know there are some...look at the tourist info website, they will have maps
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A lot might depend on whether he is walking - easier to manage than a crawler. Mostly, I guess you'll do the same things that you do at home! I don't know Flachau but it would be an odd ski resort which didn't have some good walking options. A carrier is ideal, but make sure whoever is carrying him as good crampons for their boots. One of my grandchildren was a little bit younger - and still crawling - when they holidayed with me in my flat in the French Alps. We had carpeted most of the place and she spent most of her waking hours crawling round the floor, enjoying all sorts of push-around toys and - most successful of all - emptying all the miniature Mars Bars and similar, which I had in considerable quantity for the older kids, out of their basket and throwing them around the floor. We put them back in, in a low cupboard, with the doors closed and she did the same again and again - the magic of discovery never waned during the week. Astonishingly she never did discover what was inside, or rip the wrappers. Whichever adults were around were able to make snacks and drinks, or meals, and chat, or watch the TV, or whatever, whilst keeping an eye on her.

It would be much, much, harder in a hotel as unless they have special nursery facilities for kids you couldn't let them just racket around in public rooms.

Her tolerance for being outside was limited. Even well wrapped up she could not cope for long with crawling in snow. Hard to keep mittens on her - or sunglasses, though as it was Christmas, and dull and cloudy, that wasn't a big problem. We rented a little toboggan cum pushchair from a local ski shop and she quite enjoyed that in short doses, sliding down very gentle hill and caught by big brother/sister/cousin.

Maybe take Grandparents?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There’s a path that follows the river for quite a way. That should make a nice walk. Have a look at the Ennsradweg. It’s a cycle path, but you should be able to walk on it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@npower, There are multiple walking, running and cycling paths around the village, all marked and shown on notice boards. For a longer walk without hills, the Rundweg Altenmarkt is good 3 hour trail too. You can get free maps at the Tourist Office. You've already spotted the Therme Amade for swimming and you can hop on the free bus to and from it. There's a small petting farm at the Dorfalm on the high street, Goats and Llama type thing. Depending on the weather there is a kids play area next to the climbing tower behind the Bank. Sleigh Rides run most days around the old town if you want to spend a few bob. You'll have no issues going up the Achter Jet for lunches or if you fancy a change, hop on the bus to the Rote8 gondola and go to mid station. Nice restaurant on the piste and less crowded than those at the Achterjet which tend to be used by the Ski Schools for kids lunches. I'm sure you've already spotted the "Family Pass" option on the ticket site which enables two parents to share the same pass if one is doing childcare. You'll have a Fab time.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Huh weird, I didn't get told about any of the replies here! Thanks so much for all of your advice Smile

We're staying in a nice roomy chalet, so I imagine a lot of time will be spent there tbh!

He's really close to walking so hoping he manages to get it before we go, but preparing for not - we were considering taking our off road pram, do you think it's worthwhile or would it be easier to just stick with carriers? Mostly thinking it's handy for napping on the go etc.

The accommodation we have had passes included so should be able to pop up a gondola when the other is skiing too Eh oh!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@npower, you don't automatically get notifications. I think you can set something up I don't know how
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We took our (just turned) one year old in Feb 2020 and had a good time and we are taking her next week for her first time on skis! She wasn’t walking but it didn’t matter too much, we had a pushchair that we borrowed from the hotel but this time I’m taking our out n about nipper. Definitely check out wagrainis winter world, it’s a lovely little kids area at the middle station (as far as I remember) of the red 8 gondola from Wagrain. They have stuff happening Tuesdays and Thursdays I think but there is facilities you can use any time as well.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
npower wrote:
Huh weird, I didn't get told about any of the replies here! Thanks so much for all of your advice Smile

You get the first one and then unless you click on the link in it and go to the thread you won't get anymore. If unfortunately the message goes in your junk and you don't see it you won't get anymore! So always worth checking back from time to time.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Skimama, Welcome to Snowheads and thank you for backing up my comment on Rote 8. Just the sort of easy area for infants.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@RedandWhiteFlachau, seconded
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

we were considering taking our off road pram, do you think it's worthwhile

If you've got plenty of space, yes. It might be cold/wet/snowy and a sleeping baby in a pram is easier to cope with outside a nice restaurant than one in a sling. And you can hang so much clobber on it!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We are taking a one year old to Bad Hofgastein for a week in early March and really hope we have a good time, it will be interesting to see how the week develops. My wife(grandma) doesn't usually need much of a distraction not to
go up the hill . . . . I suspect our daughter in law is hoping this continues!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@RedandWhiteFlachau where would I find details of the free bus to the pool?

Also, is there a way of getting between Flachau & Wagrain, might be a nice mini day out if there's a bus!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
npower wrote:
@RedandWhiteFlachau where would I find details of the free bus to the pool?

Also, is there a way of getting between Flachau & Wagrain, might be a nice mini day out if there's a bus!

Bus routes on the Snowspace Page here: https://www.snow-space.com/en/winter/information-ski-resort/service/skibus-skidepots

You need to take the Post Bus No 522 to the Therme, it stops at a number of stops on Flachau High Street. The ski shuttle buses, F3 to Rote 8 (change) and then W3 from there to Wagrain.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy