Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UCPA Les Contamines or La Plagne for family?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Daughter and family looking at Christmas. I know the skiing in LC but have no idea about the UCPA centre and it's aeons since I've been to La Plagne. They'll all be in lessons as part of the package. Kids have skied a fair bit and are competent. Les Contamines is quite a bit cheaper. Can anyone compare the centres themselves? Where is the LP centre?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
LP has a few centres of which Plagne Centre is the worst. Some of the outliers are more charming, Montachin etc. Belle Plagne is the nicest are at altitude.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@pam w, location wise the one in Plagne Centre is great as it’s right on the front de neige. Not stayed in either. Plagne Centre is a standard French purpose built altitude ski station but I don’t find anything wrong with it for that.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Location sounds excellent, thanks. The LC one involves a bus AND gondola to get up to where lessons are likely to be. And resort level snow by no means guaranteed at Christmas. My grand-daughters would prefer an ugly great building with snow outside!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
Location sounds excellent, thanks. The LC one involves a bus AND gondola to get up to where lessons are likely to be. And resort level snow by no means guaranteed at Christmas. My grand-daughters would prefer an ugly great building with snow outside!!

La Plagne certainly does ugliness well in the central spots but the views from the area are great, the best of the Tarentaise resorts in my opinion for views. The variety of both high level and tree lined skiing is also very good. Can be a bit queue ridden in high season in my limited experience but no idea what it is like at Christmas.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Gämsbock wrote:
@pam w, location wise the one in Plagne Centre is great as it’s right on the front de neige. Not stayed in either. Plagne Centre is a standard French purpose built altitude ski station but I don’t find anything wrong with it for that.

I was just about to flag the challenge of getting to the first lift from Les Contamines centre, not a real problem with older kids but for younger skiers I'd go for a centre closer to the lifts. It isn't very far but it is a minor faff in the mornings.

The centre itself we found to be good, very family orientated by comparison to some of the more party focused ucpa centres. Food was ok, nothing brilliant or terrible but we'll eat anything.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've only stayed in 2 UCPAs, Plagne Centre and Flaine. Both in the past 2 years. The UCPA in Plagne Centre spans across a piste, you couldn't get a more convenient location for access to slopes. You can also walk to the rest of Plagne Centre through covered corridors within a couple of minutes if the weather's awful.

The room we had in Plagne Centre was large and modern, with a nice big walk-in shower. The rest of the UCPA area was also recently refurbed internally. I can only compare it with UCPA Flaine, but the Plagne room was bigger, newer, cleaner and had good views too. The whole centre was significantly nicer than I'd been expecting.

Plagne Centre is not pretty, but does have access to some excellent skiing of all varieties - some of the runs through the trees around Montalbert were deserted and lovely, and there were similar runs on the way towards the Vanoise Express. I'd happily stay in Plagne Centre again.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy