Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter tyre - TPMS

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I did my research but could not come to a conclusion how are people dealing with cars with tpms if they get a separate winter set? Just buy it too or ignore it?

I read that MOT fails if I have the warning lights on if I put tyres without the sensors
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dacia have solved that for you on the Duster 4x4.
When you push the button at the end of the stalk that cycles through: mileage, range, temperature, time, etc... you come to one that says Set TP. Just hold the button in for 5 seconds, and voila the warning light goes out for the next 10 minutes of driving.
Rinse and repeat if you can be bothered.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Gustavobs, here in Austria we change wheels twice a year. Each time you simply reset the tyre pressure sensor.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Just buy it too or ignore it?

Ignoring it. With my car you have to re-programme the car to the new sensors as it can't store more than 4 and that can only be done by a dealer (I'm told). The light can be switched off (again by the dealer) so that would in theory deal with the MoT issue, but as I'm not local to a dealership I've just left it on. When the MoT is due I'll be back on the summer tyres, which have the TPMS fitted to them, anyway so that shouldn't be an issue.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Depends which type of TPMS
Indirect - Swap tyres or tyres and centres - press reset on the TPMS - all good
Direct - Only swap the tyres and make sure centres go back on the same wheel or get a winter set of sensors and either clone the identities from the old to the new or don't clone and reprogram the car ever time you swap or put up with the warning light on for the winter.

Could well be more methods but those are what I found out when I was looking.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Before I switched to using all-season tyres I swapped between winters and summers on my Nissan Qashqui. When I bought the winter wheels/tyres I got them supplied with sensors coded to match the ones I already had. Just popped into Kwikfit one day and got them to check the codes on the summer tyres before I ordered the winters. Having done all that I later found out that the Nissan didn't care what the codes were at all, it could easily learn which sensor was in which wheel, presumably because the wheel sensors transmissions were picked up by receivers mounted close to each wheel.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Timc, makes a very valid point. There are two types of TPMS. I changed my wife's Audi to winters at the weekend, tyres and alloys as a set, and didn't even need to reset the iTPMS. Presumably this was because they were at the correct pressure.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Gustavobs

Kwik Fit fitted our winter tyres. TPMS on constantly after driving away, took car back twice but they couldn't find the problem. Eventually asked them to recheck the tyre pressures and lo and behold they had set them wrong. Much apologies later and TPMS all good
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Put the summer's in the boot. Presumably they work by some sort of wireless tech, so should possibly still work. Worth a go anyway Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
martinm wrote:
Put the summer's in the boot. Presumably they work by some sort of wireless tech, so should possibly still work. Worth a go anyway Very Happy Very Happy

It's normal these days for the sensors to 'go to sleep' if they are not rotating to reduce current drain. So anything stationary in the boot will not be transmitting. This also means that a spare also equiped with a sensor will not confuse things as a fifth wheel.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
MyKeg wrote:
martinm wrote:

It's normal these days for the sensors to 'go to sleep' if they are not rotating to reduce current drain. So anything stationary in the boot will not be transmitting. This also means that a spare also equiped with a sensor will not confuse things as a fifth wheel.

Good point! (Plus of course carrying around the size and weight of 4 summer tyres and wheels in the boot is hardly an optimum solution.... Laughing )
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hadn't thought of that! @Alastair Pink, I was only thinking of MOT time Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@martinm, Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Two types of TPMS...
Sensor based systems in each wheel. These transmit the pressure to the monitoring system. They need coding to the car (otherwise how do they know it's not a signal from another car) but most can recognise which corner they're fitted to. The kits to do the coding were circa £700 last time I checked do not all garages have them.
The second system uses the ABS wheel speed sensors to cross check and recognise the extra revs if a deflated (so smaller diameter) tyre. These shouldn't be an issue having 2 sets of wheels. Most are resettable from the dash. Set the pressures, then follow the reset procedure in the handbook but they then need to drive a short distance to verify the setting before the light goes out. There are some that are preset (some Vauxhalls have preset standard, high speed and economy pressure/diameter pre-programmed).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Gustavobs On my 2016 BMW, I've had to get a second set of TPMS sensors for the winter wheels and tyres. Whenever they are swapped or one replaced, I get them set them up to the correct pressure, then calibrate them by driving for about 10 minutes. After that, the individual tyre temperate and pressures are monitored and can be displayed while driving. Not sure what how the other systems work.

I know from owner forums that you can swap one set of sensors between two sets of tyres (as long as you don't mind the wear-and-tear involved), and you can run without them completely (as long as you don't mind an error message coming up plus no tyre pressure monitoring). I didn't think the downsides were worth it for the money I'd save on a set of sensors.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy