Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Queenstown/Southern Lakes 2020

Poster: A snowHead
With a view like this from home this morning i thought that it was time to start this seasons snow report thread

It is still a couple of months until the first lifts are due to open and we have the uncertainty of the Covid pandemic to work through but lets be hopeful that at least we will have a domestic season even if no international visitors are allowed in. Not much to report on new developments over the summer except for the installation of the new Sugar Bowl lift at the Remarkables. Rumors around town are that the European cable splicing team have been unable to travel here to do their important part of the job but with two months to go we could still be in luck. After last nights snow it was nice to get out for a walk along the Shotover river especially with the Autumn colours in fine form. Usually it's a busy place with the jet boat business in full operation and bus loads of tourists coming and going but it was so quiet and peaceful with only the sounds of the river and the bird song.

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice! Takes me back a few years.

My mum & dad just made it back to Scotland having got stuck in the NZ lock-down. They've been there since February!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@stevomcd, They should have stayed here. Yesterday's new Covid case number for the whole country was just nine.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great pictures, I was in that exact spot a year ago, indeed my niece is still there (well, in lockdown a few miles along the road).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good to see the first snow of winter - evoking happy memories from an amazing trip to NZ last season Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Loads up here this morning as well, just walked the hound on the beach, and the alps have snow down to about 1000m.

Was hoping to get my split out soon for a play, but Cinders sent me back to work yesterday.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tomorrow NZ is changing from our level 3 to level 2. New covid cases are only one or two per day with a few days of no new cases. This is a major freeing up of our lockdown rules and opens the way for our ski operators to commit to opening this season. Estimates of numbers of skiers and boarders expected in Queenstown this winter range from 25 to 50 percent of normal. A lot depends on how many New Zealanders have the money to spend on a snow holiday. Lots of rumors around town about what is planned by our two local ski area owners. NZSki has Coronet Peak and The Remarkables and Real Journeys/Wayfarer group has Mt Cardrona and Treble Cone. There is talk of each of them only opening one mountain at least to start with. Neither of them are recruiting staff for the season as yet but with scheduled openings only four or five weeks away I'm sure that will be changing soon. As they usually employ between 40 and 60 percent international staff there should be some more jobs for locals. Which would be great as most tourist businesses are shut down and lots of people out of work.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Sarge McSarge, Got an NZ trip planned for Sep 20 inbound from S. Korea so I'm hoping those two countries get their act together and agree to International Arrivals on a bilateral basis.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looks like there will be no general opening of the border for many many months. The Govt is talking about a gradual opening for countries that have covid totally under control and also have closed borders. So that is likely to be Australia first then selected Pacific island states. I can't see anything greater than that before a vaccine or an effective set of cure/control drugs.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
NZSki has announced its plans for the coming NZ season. Pretty much good news in hard times. Coronet Peak will open late June with all lifts etc operating. The Remakables opening in early July for school holidays and after that open for weekends only. There will be measures in place to comply with govt mandated distancing rules. The slightly delayed opening date allows for pre season maintenance to be carried out. So as long as we get snow it's looking good for the locals.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
5 days a week at Hutt based on weather, Dobson, porters, ohau all go, broken river confirmed they are doing accommodation and Craigieburn open to season pass holders only.

Looking like some interesting options open and hopefully some cheap places to stay in the Mackenzie

I heard Hutt will be not doing much snowmaking and grooming, but I’m hoping they will allow touring up there on the closed days.

Methven heli also operating so crossing fingers for the government to drop a stimulus payment over winter Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
https://www.snowsbest.com/new-zealand-announce-no-limit-to-daily-skier-numbers-in-2020/

No limit to numbers on the ski area announced. Good news.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Coronet Peak have been testing their snow making system this morning just to get us in the mood. Cardrona and Treble Cone will both be open in late June so that is all the local areas open at some level this winter. It could be father quiet with no Aussies and possibly reduced numbers of New Zealanders due to the economic consequences of the pandemic.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Finally we have some snow to report. Over the last couple of days we have had a few light snow falls with about 20cm in total. Also snow making has been going strong for the last day or two Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sarge McSarge,

Sadly, your management of the pandemic belittles that of the UK. Your numbers (and those of your neighbours) are just incredible.

Not to worry, though. Boris is proud of his achievements. After all, we are top of the league. rolling eyes
snow report
@Bergmeister, Thanks for your support. Very likely that some time in the next week we will drop to level 1 which is pretty much life ae usual but still maintaining strict boarder controls and movement tracking.
Cold temps and light snow continue as well as snow making keeping our hopes up for a good start to the season.
ski holidays
@Sarge McSarge, Keeping control of boarders seems a good idea.
snow report
rjs,

Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Another 20cm + of snow on the mountains and snow making overnight has got the locals excited. One week until lifts are open in this part of New Zealand but the weather is due to be a bit warm and dry for the next few days.
As I have not been skiing yet a bit of work has been keeping me out of trouble. Three days cruising on the boat in Doubtful Sound down in Fiordland. A few photos to give you an idea of the area.

A perfect U shaped glacial valley in Bradshaw Sound

Sunset on the Southern Alps

Looking into Hall Arm

Looking past the Nee Islands out to the Tasman Sea

snow conditions
Great pics Sarge McSarge - happy memories of fiord land last summer - and in weather like that too Very Happy

I was surprised to hear about those two covid-infected Kiwis being allowed to slip into the country from the UK... Shocked Bet there's Hell to pay over that one Puzzled
snow conditions
Major drama. They were allowed out of quarantine without a test, which was apparently against policy. Not sure who is to blame but lots of finger pointing from all sides. Better get things sorted otherwise more infections and way more problems
snow report
Local season is starting tomorrow with both Cardrona and Coronet Peak opening some of their lifts then Treble cone on Saturday. Unfortunately no new snow here lately but there has been some snow making. There could be a bit of snow on Sunday and then some more on Tuesday. Fingers crossed rolling eyes
ski holidays
Some avvy action in the backcountry last week.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/419380/avalanche-warning-for-south-island-peaks
snow conditions
Would love to know what the crowds are like - been way busier than normal up this way
ski holidays
A busy day at Coronet Peak for opening today. Snow surface was nice but limited to the groomed runs where the snow making has built a reasonable base. I only skied a couple of hours as it was getting very busy. The snow forecast for Sunday and Monday is now showing somewhat less than previously Sad

A few photos for you addiction.

ski holidays
Nice pics Sarge McSarge! Looks pretty decent Very Happy We've had a heatwave here in the UK (though back to wet & unseasonably windy weather last couple of days...) - which makes snow even more enticing wink

I love mountain biking & hiking in the summer....but would really love to get some turns in! Still, midsummer's day has passed, so winter is on its way Laughing
snow conditions
We have had a couple of light snow falls and some snow making in the last couple of days which gave us a nice fresh surface for this morning. Good visibility with some interesting clouds to enhance the photos. A few more cm's forecast latter today so tomorrow should be more of the same. The ungroomed (off piste for the europeans) is starting to fill in a bit with a few more lines becoming skiable each day so bit by bit we are getting there. Still only about half the lifts open but as it was a quiet day no problem wilt waiting for the lifts.

A few photos to give you a bit of a feel for the weather.

latest report
@Sarge McSarge, Maybe next year Crying or Very sad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@RedandWhiteFlachau, Hopefully. If we get this Covid under control come on down.

A nice sunny day on the mountain today unlike yesterday when there was cloud over the mountain and problems with getting lifts running due to ice issues. Last evening was the first night skiing of the season and I heard they had about 3000 people turn up. So much for no one in town. Groomed runs a bit firm under the top surface this morning but more and more of the ungroomed is becoming nicer as it gets a bit of ski packing but still soft and fun.

Sun rise on The Remarkables

And Cecil Peak

Here comes the sun

A little valley cloud to start the day

ski holidays
Nice.
latest report
Friday started with clear conditions and nice groomed surface but high cloud developed as the day went on. Saturday and Sunday have both been grey and cloudy with some fresh snow overnight. Coronet and the Remarkables both reported about 15cm's at the top or the lifts with lesser amounts lower down. A little more has fallen during the day. Similar at Cardrona and Treble Cone reports 50 cm's at the top and rain at the base area. It should be cooling down and ongoing snow showers forecast through the coming week.
ski holidays
25 to 30 cm's reported over the last 48hrs and ongoing snow to low level this morning. So we have pretty good cover on a most of the mountains which is great as we are in the first week of the school holidays. Even the Remarkables with it's very rocky terrain is looking good. Total havoc on the Coronet road this morning with fresh snow and enough muppets to block the road due to poor driving, badly fitted chains, and all the general stupidity that comes with a little bit of fresh snow. rolling eyes Crying or Very sad Confused
snow conditions
Best investment I made when I lived in Methven was my little Subaru Leone with snow tyres and chains. Made it up and down that road all hours of day and night and conditions, including some rescue missions. Best car ever that one.
latest report
Subaru is the standard car for many of our ski community. Road not so crazy today and with some better visibility the skiing was really nice although the crowd was building as it got closer to midday. Not an issue for me as I have work for the afternoon.
ski holidays
Sarge McSarge wrote:
Subaru is the standard car for many of our ski community. Road not so crazy today and with some better visibility the skiing was really nice although the crowd was building as it got closer to midday. Not an issue for me as I have work for the afternoon.

Any photos? Skied there in 2005. Would love to go back to NZ...
latest report
+1 for the subie. Unstoppable Happy

Heading to Hutt in the morning, expecting it to be packed again, really need a few more places to get open.
ski holidays
I had planned to get a few hours on the snow this morning as the snow conditions are good and the weather was nice. Unfortunately everybody else had the same idea. Despite leaving home early I was caught in a huge tail back on the access road. The 11 kms from home to coronet peak took me 35 minutes instead of the usual 15 and the road surface was clear and dry. When I made it to the parking area it was already 95% full and there was a never ending line of cars still on the way up. No way the lifts will be able to handle these numbers so it was an about turn and home for coffee. The tail back was about 5 kms long as I went down with a steady stream of cars heading up to join in. I can't recall it being this busy so early in the day. I have heard that it's the same at the Remarkables. So much for a nice quiet locals only season season. With the closed boarders the cost of accommodation here has dropped by a reasonable amount so lots of people from the big city's have decided to come down for the school holidays. Great for the towns economy after the serious hit during the previous few months. Still some idiots calling for a quick relaxing of the boarder restrictions but with what we see in the Australian sate of Victoria with a second wave of Covid and return of lock down we have to be cautious. Our internal economy is up and running with no restrictions for our people and no cases outside of the isolation facilities for overseas arrivals.
snow conditions
Crowds were huge up here too. Not going to bother again until school hols are over.
snow report
Looks great
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCdizylIdUg/?igshid=1wx04jbpptzwb
snow report
@BobinCH, And getting better. New snow in the last 24hrs continues to build the snow base. Reported falls are; Treble Cone 30cms, Cardrona 10cms, Coronet Peak 20cms, The Remarkables 15cms. These reports are usually from the top of the lifts and I know that at the bottom of the lowest lifts there was a mix of rain, sleet and snow so not much actual snow build up. Colder overnight temps have allowed the snow making to get to work to get a fresh coating on the main runs. All in all things are looking pretty good in this part of the country. I think I will follow @hang11, and not bother fighting the crowds until the school holidays are over at the end of this week.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy