Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What sort of ski jacket?

Poster: A snowHead
I have usually had a "normal" ski jacket, and by that I mean quite a bulky traditional jacket full of padding/foam/whatever they put in them.

But should I be getting a shell type and using a few layers instead?

I am well out of my depth! My current jacket is 6 years old, a Quicksliver one that I bought from TK Maxx for £30 in a sale Very Happy

But this year I need a new one, so do I go the usual michelin man type, or go for a shell and layers?

(If it makes any difference, I do about 6 weeks a year, starting with a month from the 14th Dec, so cold temps, as well as warmer temps by Easter.

Thanks all!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I used to be Michelin, but am now shell. Not planning on going back any time soon.

Make sure there is enough room under the shell for a range of insulation. Base layer only for April. Base plus merino if a bit chilly. Base, merino and Thinsulate for January. Down if seriously Arctic.

Suspect you may get a lot of opinions.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You'll definitely get many views on this. What works for you doesn't work for me or the next Joe. I personally find layering up uncomfortable and wouldn't go back. In Canada I'll wear warm base layer, mid layer and an 80g insulated jacket. The mid layer is a mid warm technical jumper nothing thick or fleeced. This was fine in -20+. For warm days a base layer and football shirt with vents opened. With crazy beach weather on the slopes normally a high wicking base layer and wind cheater hoodie/ soft shell.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I use 20k shell & wear a burton base layer depending on conditions (light, mid, arctic) & tracksuit bottoms with a fleece top as mids.
Windchill when not moving is my biggest enemy.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well I suppose everybody should state their usual level of activity and how naturally warm they are in order to qualify their choice of jacket. I'm fairly lightweight and probably average in the body heat stakes but very active when boarding as I'm generally alone and perform continuous hard turns so I'm always out of breath and a bit sweaty at the bottom.

My jacket is mid range (Colombia PowderKeg) with 60g of synthetic lining under which I normally only wear a medium/heavy base layer. Must have design features are pit zips (normally open after first few runs) and a detachable hood which means I have a snug fitting collar for lifts and cold mornings but can unzip and cool rapidly as I only have a thin layer under. Oh, and a snowskirt too. I can get a bit chilly on some lifts but that's a sacrifice worth making.

You will probably get a lot of replies from shell enthusiasts but they wouldn't work for me. My previous jacket was a better insulated Killy but was too hot most of the time. Breathability isn't a major consideration as I reckon open pitzips and collar probably have quadruple the effect of doubling the vapour transmission rating.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Philip1972, Out of curiosity, why do you need a new jacket?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@BoardieK, If you're a bit sweaty at the bottom surely it's your trousers you should be concerned about not your jacket.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@esaw1, beat me to it. Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You can get insulated ski jackets that are not bulky 'Michelin' types. That's my choice. I can't be doing with loads of layers. Firstly, you have to find somewhere to store layers when not in use (i.e. carry luggage around with you) and secondly you have to find somewhere to get changed. And you'll have more laundry to do!

Insulated jacket with vents for warmer days. Wear a warmer base layer on colder days. Simples.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/1506705?click=eyJxdWVyeSI6MzQ1MiwicGFnZSI6MSwicGFnZVNpemUiOjQyLCJwb3MiOjl9
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@esaw1, I wear shorts if the sun's out.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@foxtrotzulu, Well its 6 years old and as such the filling is about 1/10th the volume it once was. Its also moved around inside, so not all of it is in the best places!

I wouldn't change it unless absolutely necessary!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
queenie pretty please wrote:
You can get insulated ski jackets that are not bulky 'Michelin' types. That's my choice. I can't be doing with loads of layers. Firstly, you have to find somewhere to store layers when not in use (i.e. carry luggage around with you) and secondly you have to find somewhere to get changed. And you'll have more laundry to do!

Insulated jacket with vents for warmer days. Wear a warmer base layer on colder days. Simples.

But what if the weather changes suddenly and you're caught out?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@martinm, then I pop home for a change of base layer. But to be honest, that has never happened. I look at the forecast and either wear a thin base layer for warm days or a thermal one for cold days. If the weather is really horrible, I might just pop home and stay there... Toofy Grin

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 24-08-19 15:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@queenie pretty please, insulated jackets seem less breathable to me. Mind you, my main midlayer is effectively a somewhat sophisticated insulated jacket minus shell.

But, seriously, layering is the way to go.
snow conditions
@under a new name, if it's a warm day, I wear a thin base layer and open all the vents and zips on the jacket. I've never really noticed a problem with overheating.

Layering just looks like a load of faff to me. Carrying around a load of clothing that you *might* need. I only ever wear one base layer, either a thermal one for cold days, a medium one for average days or a thin T-shirt for warm days.
ski holidays
@under a new name, if it's a warm day, I wear a thin base layer and open all the vents and zips on the jacket. I've never really noticed a problem with overheating.

Layering just looks like a load of faff to me. Carrying around a load of clothing that you *might* need. I only ever wear one base layer, either a thermal one for cold days, a medium one for average days or a thin T-shirt for warm days.

You don't need to carry layers with a shell though, any more than you'd need to carry an extra fleece with an insulated jacket. You do the same as you do now - decide in the morning based on the weather - just the potential 'comfortable temperature range' is much wider as you're never forced to deal with x amount of insulation.

90% of the time I wear a single mid-weight base layer, and I almost never carry other layers in my pack if I'm riding lifts. But I can be much more comfortable on hot 20+°C spring days than if my only jacket had built in insulation.
latest report
Yep, I’m all about the layers too, though having seen what some other people wear, I don’t think I get *that* cold.

@queenie pretty please, I totally understand you not wanting to carry extra layers if you don’t normally take a bag with you. And you have the advantage of having your whole wardrobe to pick from, rather than just the contents of your suitcase Toofy Grin

I pretty much always have a bag with me, so adding a fleece (spring) or a super lightweight down jacket (winter) is no problem and there’s plenty of space under my shell. I’ll admit to returning to a softshell this spring though, having got a bit fed up of rattling like a crisp packet Confused

So yeah, unless you have a very specific use case (à la @queenie pretty please) I don’t see the point in insulated jackets. They just turn you into a dripping sweat monster Laughing
latest report
@martinm, then I pop home for a change of base layer. But to be honest, that has never happened. I look at the forecast and either wear a thin base layer for warm days or a thermal one for cold days. If the weather is really horrible, I might just pop home and stay there... Toofy Grin

Fairy nuff, but I've been out where the weather has changed very quickly - and as I carry a small rucksack anyway, a down gillet fits in quite nicely for those 'brrr' moments! I guess to some extent it depends how far you go from base.
ski holidays
For me at least, the jacket is acts as protection from wind and rain. The amount of extra warmth I have/want, comes from the layers underneath.

I doubt a Quicksilver jacket would be up to much - I always thought as a brand they didn't make technically good gear but were more of a fashion brand.
snow report
I personally don't like shells because of the feel of the material, I don't like having something like a plastic bag next to my skin or even next to my midlayer, despite what people will say about it not feeling so; every shell jacket I've picked up feels like this to me. I'm well aware this contradicts the vast majority of the "enthusiast" set but I tried what they like and it didn't work for me.

Instead I went shopping for an insulated jacket but erred to the lightest I could and made clear to the shop assistant that was what I was after and why. A fair point he made was that extreme waterproofing e.g. Gore-Tex 20K hydrostatic head is well in excess of what is necessary to repel wet snow and rain showers, and is meant for serious hikers suffering from very severe weather. Any jacket with decent waterproofing should resist alpine snow and rain and would be more breathable.

What I ended up with was the Picture [Object](https://www.ellis-brigham.com/picture-men-s-object-snowsports-jacket-346800?FT20Feed=00002763&FT20Prod=346800937MED&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o2&scid=scplp346800937MED&sc_intid=346800937MED&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwIPrBRCJARIsAFlVT89BoJrvc6XqlLLQB6VVoJNkCsTabRZ9MSqEvBgUwWVUJf6QNLEXd3gaAs06EALw_wcB)

In the field I've found this to have enough insulation to avoid my dislike of scratchy material, but it's light enough not to feel sweaty, and if anything I've felt like needing an extra layer on lifts. It's comfortable and I like the fit, but the zip doesn't engage easily and also sticks when unzipping, which is a pain and something I would count against it.
ski holidays
Shell with a lightweight puffer in the pack (like this - https://www.marmot.com/tullus-jacket-73710.html) that’s goes over the top for cold lifts or outdoor lunch. And can go under the shell if it’s wet or gets really cold.
latest report
Ski Jackets arent as bulky as your 6 year old one. I replaced my bulky 8 year old Volkl jacket and trousers with a lovely new Salomon set last season. It is just as warm, half the weight and so much easier to move in
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy