Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New lift in Alagna & compulsory off piste gear needed

Poster: A snowHead
Just got some tasty spam from the SCGB, it mentions this new lift, as well as new off piste rules - anyone know any more details, the new lift seems like it will open up some great off piste??

Prepare for the Off-Piste Ski Police - new rules apply

Piemonte region in Italy has stipulated that anyone skiing off-piste must carry with them the necessary off-piste safety equipment, including transceiver, shovel and probes. Off-piste skiers could be subject to spot checks. We understand fines may apply. Note this covers off-piste skiing in and around Alagna.

> Keep up to date with progress on the new Alagna lift system

The new lift system which will run from Passo Salati to Punta Indren will travel between 2970 metres and 3275 metres. The runs from Punta Indren will be OFF piste only! The lift is due to open in time for the 2010/2011 season.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hmm, some more detail from Monterosa ski

FUNIFOR PASSO DEI SALATI - INDREN

The new lift that will link Passo dei Salati to Indren will cover a distance of 1582 metres as the crow flies. It will leave the 2970 metres of Passo dei Salati, to be more precise from a side area at 2960 metres a.s.l., in order to reach in 4 minutes and 54 seconds 3275 metres, where the Indren Glacier is.
Its speed will be 10 metres per second. It will carry 740 people per hour with 2 cabins for 60 standing people each.
It will be a very modern Funifor and will allow skiers to reach the powder paradise in the heart of Monte Rosa, wild pearl in Monterosa Ski.
The lift will follow a new track, never traced before by a lift and will cover on Aosta Valley area the boundary perimeter with the Piedmont side of the skiing area.
Passo dei Salati, the historical watershed between Aosta Valley and Piedmont, flagship of the Monterosa Ski skiing area for its interregional skis on- link, will become the launch pad towards the Gotha of the free ride tracks in Monte Rosa.
This is the first Aosta Valley Funifor and the second for the Monterosa Ski skiing area.
The Indren Funifor is under construction since June 2006, a complex site, in an environment particularly sensitive to temperatures’ sudden changes and to weather variations.
The realization was entrusted to Doppelmayr Italia s.r.l. in Lana (Bolzano).
The total investment for this new lift was of € 17.224.000, which is a heavy commitment for Monterosa SpA. Monterosa SpA therefore, could have the chance to receive a regional funding for the whole amount of money.
The lift will be operated from 2 technicians in the cabin, it will not have intermediate stops and will reach the arrival station in two spans, making the most of its 800 kW of engine power. Technicians are now studying some new energy systems from a sustainable source (photovoltaic), together with a floor heating system with graphite; the water supply will be possible thanks to the snow fusion and to rainfall. The working site has been studied by ARPA VdA for the permafrost and by the Servizio Aree Protette dell’Assessorato Agricoltura e Risorse Naturali for the bird life. The ski market and the free riders can’t really wait to participate to this off-limit meeting with adventure, of course signed Monterosa Ski!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski, I'm rather more excited by the Frachey funicular.

FUNICULAR FRACHEY ALPE CIARCERIO

The works for the construction of the new lift Frachey-Alpe Ciarcerio which will replace the historical 2-seat chairlift that has been working since 1978, are well under way.
The new track will be launch during the 2009-2010 season and will represent the first Aosta Valley funicular devoted to ski (second only after the SPA Funicular in Saint Vincent).
The lift, whose building was entrust to a cooperation between Leitner s.p.a. in Vipiteno (Bolzano) and Costruzioni Stradali B.G.F. s.r.l. in Issogne (Aosta), will be equipped with 2 cable cars that can carry, each of them, 110 people, towed by a rope moved by the winches at the top station.
It will have an hour capacity of 1500 people and will be able to work at night time too, so that also romantic night travellers will have the chance to reach Alpe Ciarcerio and the area around.
Its engine power will be 900 kW, and it will carry the user from 1617 metres a.s.l. in Frachey to 1981 metres a.s.l. in Alpe Ciarcerio. The team to make it all work will be formed by two cabmen, an engine driver, and a department head.
I twill reach the maximum speed of 8 metres per second and it will be suitable for people of all ages, involving an always increasing number of visitors, who will have access to all snowy areas, without the thrill, only for skiers, of the chairlift.
The investment of Monterosa SpA for this new jewel, is 12.300.000,00 Euros and thanks to the commitments of the Aosta Valley Region, the lift will be financed for 100% with public funds.
What helped us deciding for this kind of lift is the longevity of the lift itself and the big number of people who can use it. This is a mean of transport which is far from the traditional lift transportation. It will travel on a straight track with a length of 797 metres, with no intermediate stops and with a travelling time of about 2 minutes and 30 seconds, at a cruise speed of 7 metres per second.

Sadly the Mandria bottleneck will not have been improved. Who else would design a ski system where everyone going between Champoluc and Gressoney has to use the same lift in both directions. Doh!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski, my understanding is that it takes you up to where the old punta indren lift used to go so it really just restores access to places you could get to relatively easily until the punta indren lift stopped operating

does it say anything about whether tehy have replaced the infamous lobster pot?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arno really?? Which lift used to take you there?? I've only seen/been in the cable car which took you up to about 300m at Passo Salati...

http://external.skiinfo.com/skimap/mm2/EITMONTEROSA.html
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
it was a nackered old telecabine which would probably have started near Bocchetta delle Pisse on the current map. some reminisces here:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128219

if you find an old map of the area there used to be a couple of drag lifts up around Punta Indren
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arno, cheers, maybe that's the one I remember riding, I've not been back there since 2003............
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arno, the lobster pot has gone I believe - although I have no idea whether they'll replace it - haven't heard any plans to.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The valley the lift pases over was called Stolen I believe, and the middle pylon pretty well governed the two fixing points of the cable. I doubt they could change those points without some serious engineering into the rockface anywhere else along the ridge...
Having said that... the lift costs 17mill Eu so maybe ..???

As far as I can recall, the lift height at Punta Indren was 3250 and the only way to get higher than that was by the summer drags which I never saw working.
The old lift would get you high enough to get to Altaluce but a hike was needed to go over to the next valley which ended up near Staffal....or a very long traverse, altho I am not sure you could keep the height to do this.

Might pop back there this Jan to check it out... sounds like they are replacing a lift the guides never thought they could afford to...
I can't see how the valley imagine they can finance this though.. they probably have less beds that side of the valley than Le Grave...

If they don't replace the old bucket lift out of Stolen back to the bottom of the cable car..that will commit people to walking out...no real hardship as the elevation isn't that big... or carrying on down to the valley floor..which will need some snow cover and a decent route between the trees... it isn't at all apparent how they would or could do this... to any great effect so the lift is an expensive access to one giant off-piste run...
great idea that that is... I can't see that that justifies the economics..

Might need to see the plans.
There was always talk of opening up the next valley of Monterosa, Piedmont and having a giant 4 valley system but the terrain ...from what I can recall, just doesn't lend itself to that easily. Besides, they bulldozed Olen which was almost a great crime, they can't be doing that sort of thing again, surely..
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Errr, returning from summer hols it was exciting to read in the Daily Mail Ski & Snowboard mag that the new Monterosa lift to Punta Indren 'is planned for this season and will open it up again'. 30 of us are heading there and we took it to mean it would be running and not just being built - that's not so good news !
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JT, but Alagna's a "FreeRide Paradise" so surely it's perfect and has perfect conditions most of the time? So it must also have a perfect lift system?

Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I saw it in construction last year. I was wondering if it's going to be open this year, but looks like next year now.

At least the guys who have built the new hut\cafe in the middle of that off piste area will get some decent trade soon !
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name, it's a freeride paradise where the slots on the gondolas are so small they won't even fit Salomon 1080s Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The old lift went up to 3260m at Punta Indren. From there the Indren and Roccette drag lifts (which were not just summer use but gave access to most of the off piste winter routes in that area) went up to 3554 at the Forcella Bors (Bors Col).
This was the only access, as far as I know to the Punte Vittoria couloir (48 ) which I was lucky not to be killed on (I've put that experiences on Snowheads several times). It involved a long traverse and a small scramble across a rocky ridge. It was also the main access to The Malfatta (47), the Mines Couloir (46), The Bors Couloir 45) and Bors Glacier (44). I'm not sure if these might have been accessed in other ways since the lifts changed, since I have only skied the area on one day since then during a tour around the Monte Rosa.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 7-10-09 11:09; edited 8 times in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Here are the old Indren off piste routes from my Monte Rosa book.

I will put the numbers on my last post. 43 is Pisse Couloir.
snow conditions
under a new name,

errr.... wink

snowball, great map...

Never seen those drags running..it has always been a walk AFAICS...

I can see another trip in the air tho...
latest report
I had the guides all set to ski Pisse Couloir when the blasted wind shut the top lifts....every trip I've had there has had lifts affected by the wind, which put us off returning.............
snow report
kitenski, might pop over for a few days then... to see any changes but agree the weather has always been a factror when I've been there...
snow conditions
I stayed in Alagna a few years ago when the old Punta Indren lift was open and stayed in Gressoney two seasons ago after the old lift was closed and I must say that I missed the extra options that used to be available from the top.

My understanding is that there was some kind of argument over who was going to pay for the new lift and that was why work was stopped. I think it was originally scheduled to be completed for two seasons ago.

I am thinking of going back to Gressoney in March 2010 but given the delay, I am going to wait and be sure that the new lift does actually open this season before making any booking.
ski holidays
We skied the Punta Indren - Zube Passo - San Antonio - Alagna yesterday using the new lift, which terminates 100m above the old Punta Indren. You have to traverse for about 30mins, watch out for the stones lurking just below the surface. The snow was very heavy and we triggered a small avalanche at the start of the run from Punta Indren, which was a timely reminder, that you can never be too cautious. Some good skiing none-the-less and there is enough snow to make it all the way down to Alagna. On Saturday I skiied the new "off-piste" track into Staffal, which is clearly marked, but there was no snow worth going there for... We need some fresh snow now. Hope that helps to those wondering about the new lift. It trully opens a lot of terrain. Well done to Monterosa Ski!
snow report
Big bunch of us doing Champoluc 4 weeks today - yippee. 4 or so of us will be needing a guide at least a few days so any recommendations would be very welcome. It's early but how are conditions looking just now?
Cheers
ski holidays
Cr@p last week, not very much snow - mostly windblown, the odd pocket of soft to be found.. however as I left on Friday I did have to clear 50cm of fresh off the car. As to what it will be like in March is anyones guess..!
New Punta Indren is very shiny - takes you up about 200yds left of where the old Indren used to go. To answer some of the old posts above all the old buildings/cables etc are still there from the old cable car, as are the cables etc from the 'shopping trolleys of doom', but these are no longer running, so if you head down the Balma you have to keep going all the way to Alagna via Valle bors (or poss skin out to Bocchette delle Pisse)...
snow conditions
Resurecting this old thread, hope that's acceptable...

Does anyone know for sure if the new lift to Punta Indren is actually open (or going to open) this season?

Also, is it possible to ski the route of the old black run (the one that used to start at the top of the old Indren lift)? It looks like they are no longer marking this as a piste or itinerary, and since the "lobster pots" have gone getting back to Bochetta or Pianlunga might be a bit harder...

I've tried Googling for this info but (a) my italian is none existant and (b) there seems to be some rule that any website relating to Alagna has to be rubbish (although I'd be delighted to be corrected here!)
ski holidays
Why would it (new lift) not open?

The old black, as far as I know, require skinning out,

Sorry,

Yeah, I know,

PANTS
latest report
under a new name wrote:
Why would it (new lift) not open?

The old black, as far as I know, require skinning out,

Sorry,

Yeah, I know,

PANTS

one website I found said it was closed, I assume that just means it's not opened yet for the season (like I said, my Italian isn't up to much and the site wasn't very clear) so I was just confirming that it was actually finished and will be fully operational before I plan a trip there again:-)

I suspected that the old black run would no longer be so easy... still, it will keep it in better condition if it gets less traffic I guess.
snow report
Bit of a Lazarus thing here but to settle an argument about when we first came to Gressoney does anyone know when the old Punta Indren lift ceased operating as I used it on that trip. About the only thing that I can think of to try and place the date. At least it gives me a no later than year
snow conditions
New lift opened Dec 2004.
snow conditions
@dsoutar, I'm 99% sure I was there then in Feb 2004 and skied the N face of Punta Indren, which was not possible the year after with the new cable car (as @under a new name, says, that would have been in for the 2004/5 season), so the old lift was there until at least Feb 2004. The old baskets were there too, I think they were removed when the new lift went in too.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@dsoutar, A couple of years on from the last exchange, and a bit late to settle your argument ...

Where to Ski and Snowboard 2009 records that the cable car was taken out of service in 2007. As other posts suggest, the new Indren cable car was opened for the 2009/10 season. Can't imagine where the idea of it opening in Dec 2004 can have come from.
snow report
@onapairofmissions, https://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/bdd/reportage-fuf-pianalunga-cimalegna-salati-doppelmayr-1342.html

Built 2004.

Maybe they waited a bit?

No, no they didn’t.

Last time I skied with my late father in law was spring 2004 and we skied in dreadful vis down to Pianalunga.
snow report
@onapairofmissions, one of us is confusing our lifts... I’m confused anyway.
snow conditions
@under a new name, The "New" lift did indeed open in 2010. I've used it many times. Although it is advertised as Punta Indren, it stops short and slightly west by about 100m of elevation. If you don't want to skin then there are a couple of super runs down to the mid-station on the Salati Lift.There is a hut "Gabiet" I think, off to the right which is open in winter and from there it is about an hours skin up and over into the Gressoney Valley. The easiest run down is the Canalino D'Aquilla, which peaks at about 30% and is marked with single poles. Yes, we have been checked for Off-Piste gear on numerous occasions.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@onapairofmissions, …..I’m confused anyway.....

You are confused -- so am I, took me 5 minutes to realise I was reading a 10 year old thread !!! Wink
snow report
@panaga52, I think the blue cheese gnocchi in the Albergo del Ponte is better than the Gabiet.
latest report
@under a new name, Checked my Log Book when I got home. Not the Gabiet (which does have good toasties) but the Orestes Hutte, which is skiers right at the bottom of the Canalino.
snow report
@panaga52, logbook?
Impressed. Way too organised. Happy
ski holidays
@under a new name, I was teaching that week. Very Happy
ski holidays
@under a new name, we've certainly got our cables crossed. Your 2004 cable car is the one from Pianalunga to Passo Salati. The cable car @dsoutar was asking about is the one that ran from Bocchetta to Punta Indren, which has been replaced (up to a point) by the (newer) new one from PS.
latest report
@onapairofmissions, so I noticed. not sure where my original confusion came from, clearly not paying enough attention. Ho hum. Back to the beach.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy