Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Ebay Skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The grand plan... Do a month in 2020, and 3 months in 2021. This makes me want to buy a pair of skis, but I'm an agricultural, late-learning gash skier who doesn't want to spend much. Ergo, ebay. When I rent, I usually rent intermediate piste-only skis, 165 ish, about 2 up from the budget/economy ones. My question (finally!) is: What are these skis called/described as, so I can look for them when I am browsing?

Hope that makes sense. Cheers.

CG
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Charliegolf, could you make an Oktobertest?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/161-170cm-Downhill-Skis/42814/bn_18143024?LH_PrefLoc=1&rt=nc&_sop=2
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@NickyJ, Great question, and ... maybe! Never knew it existed, but will take a good look.

@albob, Thanks for that. Can you confirm that the ones here are roughly what I should be looking for? Ta.

Apologies for the random forum page choice!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@NickyJ, after last years oktobertest a good number of the demo skis were then offered to snowheads for sale. They had only been used for demos and I bough mine from that sale. Great opportunity to find out what you like and compare different types. Was a good fun evening.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Charliegolf, there *might* be some skis that would suit you on the eBay list linked above. There are also a load that wouldn't be a good buy - old, knackered, just the wrong skis. Ski descriptions on eBay are often pretty sketchy and uninformative, particularly the cheap ones. Can you remember any skis that you've rented and liked?

You're planning a significant amount of time on snow in the next couple of years. Will this be purely on piste, or are you hoping to venture off piste at some stage? That could influence what you are looking for. Also, how big are you (weight is more important than height), and how do you ski (fast, cautious, precise, loose and all over the place)? And how much/little are you hoping to pay? Some extra info will help us make some suggestions. @NickyJ's idea of going to an Oktobertest is a good one as you could try lots of different skis in a short time. Also maybe post a wanted message on the buy/sell forum.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Charliegolf wrote:
@NickyJ, Great question, and ... maybe! Never knew it existed, but will take a good look.

@albob, Thanks for that. Can you confirm that the ones here are roughly what I should be looking for?

Not really !! I just narrowed it down to skis in the 160-170 range
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I got some bargain skis from the range spyderjon had a few months ago, I'd give him a call and see if he has any advice but also may have something in budget that will be a good fit. He also gets a fair number of people buying new skis from him so might be able to match make your need with a seller.

Worth asking in the classifieds here, my experience has been that sellers are much more honest than eBay, where often sellers aren't very clear on condition and bend the truth on amount of usage.

Getting to the tests is good advice, October often isn't a time when brands will have a lot of skis for sale, but then you only need one pair that suits you and talking to the reps might throw up an ex demo from last season or a good deal on a new ski.

I'd say you are likely to get your money's worth out of a ski, so wouldn't go for the very cheap options that might only have a few weeks life in them. You may also find after that much skiing you also might find your skiing changes quite a lot, so worth thinking about where your skiing is going rather than where it is now.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Charliegolf, Easy. Go to one of the big online ski rental companies, Skimium, Skiset, etc. choose the rental category you would normally pick then research the example models shown, read the reviews, be honest with yourself about the match between your ability, the review and where you want to progress with your skiing. Choose 2 or 3 skis, set up and save Ebay searches for those and wait and see what comes up. Ebay is full of rubbish with the occasional gem. The more research you do the better your chance of finding something suitable.

Take lessons. Watch the good skiers and try and emulate. Time on chairlifts is best spent watching the good skiers.

If you buy skis that suit you exactly now then if you progress you will grow out of them but you will then be able to make a better decision about your next set of skis because there will be another set, and another, and another. ..................

You didn't mention boots. If you don't have boots then research and buy boots first.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Charliegolf, buying ski's on ebay is a minefield.

If you are planning to ski 4 months over the next two seasons buy some new one's.

glisshop and ekosport are good online stores to buy from. Do a bit of research, get to the Oktobertest if you can and take the plunge.

Come back on here for advice on particular ski's if necessary.

You are better spending £300-400 on something new that serve you right for many weeks than spunking £100 on some old tat that is old and tired. You will still save shedloads compared to hiring.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Charliegolf, do you have your own boots?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Layne, Thanks for that. Yes, I have a pair of Atomics from new.

@Timc, Thanks, I'll have a go at that too.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
First choice is to make the October bash. But if scheduling doesn’t allow...

There’s 9 months between 2020 and 2021!

I’ll focus on getting one for next year. Chances are, you skiing skill and preference will likely change after you 1 month in 2020. It’s better to re-evaluate again at that point. By the, you’re more likely to get a pair of skis that you will keep.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy