Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mid December - Resort Advices

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone.

I've been reading and learning a lot from you and would like to see your personal toughts.

I am from Brazil and have already bought flights to Milan from 10 to 24 December. Planning to ski in the week from 14-21 .
December is usually easier for me to take vacations and I found a reasonably good price on flight tickets (JFYI, EUR 450 per person Skullie ).
Last year I went to Les Arcs (Club Med) in the same period and was very lucky to get loads of snow the whole week, but I know it is not really usual.
So after lots of reading and researching I came up with these options for this next season:

1 - Cervinia: Coming from Milan is kind of easy to reach by bus. Not as cheap as Livigno or Sestriere, but not too pricey either. A little bit concerned about comments on heavy winds and closed lifts.
2 - Espace Killy: Probably one of the most "snow sure" resorts in December? Lots of accomodation options and "ok prices". Will be a hard journey from Milan or even Turin, probably would rent a car.
3 - Val Thorens: Easier to arrive than EK. There are options from Turin to Moutiers, and then the regular buses to the mountain.
4 - Les Deux Alps: also probably easier to arrive than EK, goint from Turin to Grenoble, and then bus to mountain. Not sure about snow conditions.

My main concerns are snow conditions and prices. That's why I listed only high altitude resorts and didn't include Austria or Swiss, because most are very expensive and far from Milan.
I don't really mind on apré ski/parties and am pretty sure most european resorts will fit my skiing abillities, since I mostly ski blues and reds confidently.

Prices for accomodatioin and lift tickets on all these resorts are pretty much the same. I would probably save some money with transportation and ski school in Cervinia, but not really much.

So after all, what would you pick?
Are there other places I should consider?

Thank you in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@gustavofgt, Pila would normally be open that week too.

Wouldn't really say there was any difference between Espace Killy and Val Thorens in terms of getting there.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cervina is the italian-side of the matterhorn & links into Switzerland, so you can have Swiss skiing at italian prices.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kronplatz (part of the SuperDolomiti ski area) is usually open well before then. Not "true" Dolomites scenery and not always the easiest place to get to by public transport, but it is certainly possible to do this transfer by hire car (I have done it several times from Milan) and if you have a car at your disposal for the week, that opens up other options as well. Stay at Sankt Vigilio. Try www.mareo.it or ask the Tourist Information Office for a list of available accommodation. Self cater. Eat out at least 50% of the time
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@gustavofgt, from Milan I would consider Arabba. Even if little or no natural snow, the snowmaking capability is excellent, with very good quality piste conditions.

If you are keen to try Espace Killy, which is usually good in mid December, then I would fly from Milan to Geneva, then get a transfer coach. Return flights currently £135GBP + baggage charges. As you say, it is a long journey from Milan to EK. Maybe do EK another time, with flight from home to GVA or LYS?

I would not recommend Les Deux Alpes, even though it has a glacier.

Val Thorens has great skiing and access to large 3 Valleys area. But it can be a bleak place to stay in December, not as good as Val D’Isere at that time, in my opinion. But Val Thorens is certainly snow sure.

Cervinia would be good if weather OK and links to Zermatt open. You know the risk of windy conditions but there is a similar risk everywhere in the Alps.

For example, today in Tignes, Tour de France stage disrupted by snow, hail and a landslide. In middle of summer. Shocked

snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you for your feedback.

@rjs I think Cervinia would be a better bet than Pila in Aosta Valley.

@JohnHSmith Thank you, will take a look and search for prices, transport, etc.

@PeakyB Yeah, thats it. I will just leave the French alps to another time. Let me also search for Arabba.

So from the original list I am keeping only Cervinia.

What do you think of Madonna di Campiglio?
I forgot to mention that I am going with my wife. We've been to Cortina D'ampezzo once and loved it so we would probably also enjoy Madonna right?
I read their snowmaking machines cover 95% of the terrain, which also have some three pistes and a couple high peaks.
They seem to offer "free" ski passes in the early season for affiliated accomodations. Just sent them an e-mail regarding this promotion, but they have some nice B&B in their website for EUR500-700 (a couple)... with lifts included would be very tempting.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Welcome.

Traveling so far, so early in the season, means you will need to maximize open terrain.

Of all the resorts listed above, the area mostly likely to have the most trails opened, and the most riding from summit to village, is Espace Killy.

Go to Val d'Isere or Tignes.

Forget the rest.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Whitegold, 2 years ago in 3rd week of December, all the Sella Ronda circuit was open and pistes in good condition.

Espace Killy would probably be good but, as has been said, a long way from Milan when only 6 skiing days on the trip anyway.
snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Val D’isere will have more snow but probably not more skiing than some other areas.

The Southern and eastern alps are more sheltered and generally have better weather. They do however have to rely on 90% plus snowmaking.

Enjoy wherever you end up !
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sella Ronda will be boilerplate fake snow on brown hills.

Val D is higher and will be real snow.

Fresh is best.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Whitegold, have you actually skied on the artificial snow in the Dolomites?

Have you skied in Espace Killy in mid December?
snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@gustavofgt, there is very little difference in travelling to Val Thorens or the Espace Killy. The train that goes to Moutiers then goes to Bourg St Maurice in about 20 mins where buses will take you to Tignes or Val D'Isere. Of the 2 Tignes is generally cheaper for accommodation. They are both snow sure but depending on the dates Val can be a pain if the World Cup us in town, as certain lifts and pistes close.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Re : Espace Killy. The Men's FIS competitions are scheduled for 14th-15th Dec, and the Ladies for 19th-22nd. In practice the resorts aren't mega busy due to this, but the pistes that the races are held on will either be closed, or virtually impossible for a mere mortal on rental skis to set an edge on. In particular the bottom half of The Face will probably be a sheet of boilerplate ice, and Orange/OK from the top of Belvarde down to La Daille will be fenced off. This does tend to cut off the links between Val Diz and Tignes. Both resorts still have plenty of skiing available elsewhere, but getting to the extreme ends of either from the other takes longer.

On the other hand, spending an hour or two watching the racers on The Face or OK is fascinating.

There are often University and/or Army groups that week too - but I expect Val T would be similar? We'll probably be in Tignes again from 7th-23rd Dec, 'B' word permitting.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@PeakyB, Whitetroll doesn't let facts get in the way of his opinions Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank you for your replies.

I will reconsider EK. Yeah.. saw it's really similar to go to EK or 3V and in this case I would go for EK (over Cervinia also).

Now I have only to decide if I want to spend some extra money in this trip or if I should save it and comeback in a better month (march pehaps). I could have a better planning, staying for 2 weeks, arriving in Geneva...

If I decide to save some money I would go for Madonna, Val Gardena or Arabba.. must search for accomodation and sort out transportation.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy