Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer Skiing - Australia?

Poster: A snowHead
Summer skiing in France now so unreliable (Tignes closed this year) is it a safer bet to head to Australia and combine the summer skiing trip with a trip to see the rellies?
If so where is best to go in Aus?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NZ
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@hang11, No relatives in NZ Sad

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 3-08-19 7:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
That is as broad a question as asking where best to go in France! It all depends on what you want from your ski trip and whether you want to combine it with some sight-seeing.

The major resorts in Victoria are Mt Buller, Falls Creek, and Mt Hotham. Mt Buller is about 3 ½ hour drive from Melbourne, while the other 2 are closer to 5 hours. The latter are generally more snow-sure than Mt Buller. That said, they are all having a low season so far.

In NSW, the major resorts are Perisher, Thredbo, Charlotte Pass and Selwyn. I know less about them, being from Melbourne. Perisher is apparently the largest in the southern hemisphere? I believe they all around 6 - 7 hours drive from Sydney.

Australian resorts are low by European standards - they top out at 1800m, give or take. With the reliable snow line being around 1500m, it results in rather short runs. That said, skiing here is a fantastic and unique experience. Very different to Europe. I am lucky to enjoy both and the differences they offer.

High season is August to early-Sept. The season opens in June, but that is like December in Europe: you may get skiable snow, but you may not. The season finishes at the end of Sept or first week of Oct.

Fire away with any specific questions.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ford wrote:
@hang11, No relatives in NZ Sad

It's a couple of hundred bux and a 3 hour flight from the east coast. Often quicker and cheaper from main cities in Oz to fly to Queenstown or Christchurch.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@ulmerhutte, Thanks! Vague plan is to take in a Wedding in August up towards the mines at Mackay, Queensland and then go skiing. May also go and see Melbourne relatives but they may come to us...

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 3-08-19 7:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@hang11, ah, another option vaguely I thought NZ skiing was better than Aus.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
One big difference between NZ and skiing in Australia is that with the latter you can stay in villages in the snow, ie on the mountain. Apart from some minor exceptions, accommodation in NZ is at the base of the mountain, meaning a drive up each day.

NZ does offer mountains that look more like the Alps, the scenery is stunning, and heli-skiing is possible.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is there no heli in Oz? Why's that?

@Ford, generally NZ is a fair bit less money than oz I think as well. Probably worth doing both Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
How about Argentina?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hang11 wrote:
Is there no heli in Oz? Why's that?

Apparently it will put some endangered species off their food or reproduction, or some such rot.

On a more practical level, there is probably not the vertical to make it worthwhile. Around 1500m you are also in the tree line in many places, complicating pick up.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just landed back at Manchester this morning from a trip to NZ, where we skied a day each at Coronet Peak, The Remarkables, Treble Cone and Mount Hutt.

Also did some mountain biking, hiking, jet boating, via ferrata and general sightseeing/touristy things (eg boat trip on the incredible Milford Sound) - so had an absolutely amazing time. Very Happy NZ is just so beautiful.

Although no fresh snow for some time, grooming was excellent and conditions were pretty decent - despite some horror reports from locals in Queenstown - eg Coronet Peak was referred to as 'Concrete Peak' by one. Conditions were similar (ie very firm to hardpacked) at C.Peak, The Remarkables and Cardrona.

We then skied fresh snow amid variable conditions and pockets of powder at Treble Cone and finished the trip on Thursday with perfect winter snow conditions at Mt Hutt.

In general, the ski areas are very small, with only 2 or 3 lifts and verticals are short - at typically around 400m top to bottom. Treble Cone has a vertical getting on for 600m so much longer runs there.

All the areas are very different but all are worth a visit. There's some pretty decent off piste - e.g. some nice bowls/steeps at The Remarkables and some good steeps at Treble Cone. The steep areas of My Hutt looked good but were shut due to avalanche danger.

On a general note:
- Lift tickets are pretty pricey - up to $150 (£7Cool a day (e.g. Treble Cone).
- Kit hire is cheap. We didn't want to lug all our gear there as we were also visiting Singapore and Australia and got skis and boots for $25 a day in Queenstown.
- Except for Coronet Peak, road access to the skiing is via unmade, 10-15km hairpin, dirt tracks - often with no barriers. We needed snow chains for access to Mt Hutt and Treble Cone. Certainly an interesting driving experience which is not for the faint hearted. The Remarkables is a tricky mountain road which is at least tarmacked until the last few km.

We skied Thredbo & Perisher in Oz four years ago. As our visit there coincided with the best snow they'd had in years, we had a fantastic time. I seem to recall that lift pass prices were extortionate though. However, road access to the resorts was pretty straightforward - particularly compared to NZ.

I will post some pics when I can.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 3-08-19 16:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In Victoria, Buller is great when the snow is good but Hotham and Falls Creek generally get about 50% more snow. Staying on the mountain is good and adds to the apres ski atmosphere. Season for almost guaranteed snow is very short. Basically August.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Beautiful Saturday sunscreen day out here .. Very Happy Very Happy

http://laslenas.com/es/camaras?cam=15afc70b-ad33-4cbc-aea0-f59b6d1c1d33
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Did a season in Hotham in 2001. Fun times.

Got the helicopter over to Falls Creek at the end of the season. Sadly very little snow left, but worth it for the helicopter ride.
ski holidays
I’m from Oz.
I’ve skied in both Australia and NZ in a variety of resorts in each country. Ski conditions are certainly not as reliable as Europe or North America or Japan. The best skiing I’ve experienced in either of the two was a few days mid August in Thredbo (New South Wales) a couple of years ago. We managed to score fresh snow that stayed cold and dry. Getting conditions like that both here and NZ is a complete lottery though.
A unique feature of skiing in Australia is the Snow Gums. They’re quiet pretty and very different to the conifers and Aspens you find in the Northern Hemisphere.
Oh and the ski hills in NZ are completely devoid of trees. The scenery generally is better than the scenery in Oz ski resorts.
I encourage you to check out either - you’ll have a ball.
snow conditions
If you're going to ski NZ and go to Coronet, remarks and Mt Hutt, it is so worth planning ahead and buying a season pass at early bird rates - before the end of February usually. It breaks even in about 3 days. Think I paid $350 this year for a Hutt only season pass, no restrictions or black outs. All three hills is about $600 - 300 quid or thereabouts. You can do it in 6 monthly installments as well - www.nzski.com

TC is really expensive. Being a bit of a dirt bag cheapskate, I like to do it for as little cash as possible. TC can be done by hiring a car off Juicy rentals, and they run a promo where you get a free day pass for each hire day - you can swing it for about $50 a day on that deal. When I go down there, I just drive down, hire a car at the airport, park it round the corner and get the cheap pass Very Happy

Corona (beer) sometimes do deals on passes for Cardrona, and it's not that hard to drink your way to a free day there Very Happy

If you want to hit the club fields, disabled snowsports canterbury do voucher books as a fundraiser on their website, cost $100 ish and they usually have 2 for 1 deals at all the clubbies and smaller hills, which usually aren't that expensive anyway.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy