Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl v Mayrhofen Xmas 2019

Poster: A snowHead
Trying to decide between the two for two adults and a 12 and 15 year old. All competent red run skiers and fairly incompetent black run skiers. Both resorts as snowsure as you can get, both lively for apres . Both have other resorts within an easy bus ride for change of scenery if required . Broadbrush cost of the same sort of package deal is about £200 a head cheaper in Mayrhofen.Is Ishgl worth the extra £800 in terms of the skiing on offer, please?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@muddewater, having been to both resorts a few times pre Christmas and during Christmas itself I'd go for Mayrhofen and save yourself the £800.
There's more skiing on offer in the Zillertal and the train is covered on the lift pass.
Hintertux is worth going to even if the bus is about 40 mins.
Plenty in the Zillertal to keep you and your family occupied it's one of my favourite places in the Alps.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ischgl probably more snowsure than Mayrhofen early season.

However, the Ziller Valley (though not Mayrhofen itself) also has more tree skiing than Ischgl, which would be handy in stormy / snowy weather (relatively likely at that time of year).

I'd say the two points above cancel each other out, so go with Mayrhofen given it's cheaper.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
For a much higher chance of snow and Christmas atmosphere in village: Ischgl
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mayrhofen is very pretty at Christmas. Snow that time of year is always a chance of course but very good snowmaking on hand. I think for a family Zillertal is a lot nicer (less of a saussage fest) but Ischgl is a great area so difficult one.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've been to Mayrhofen about 6 times in early to mid December and there's been good skiing on and off piste every time apart from one year when all the pistes were open but there was no off piste.
It snowed the day after I left though so that must have been 27th Dec as I never do new year week.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ischgl possibly has a better skiing area but the "village" is expensive and does not appeal to me at all. The Zillertal has lots of potential Christmas atmosphere, though the skiing is spread out around the valley. It is less snow sure than Ischgl (Christmas snow conditions are always something of a lottery) though it does have the Hintertux glacier.

If I was booking for the family I think I would probably choose Ischgl, the snow sure and varied skiing would outweigh my dislike of the cluster of flashy hotels and brash bars around the bottom of the lifts. If it was from January to the end of March then I would go with the Zillertal
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Zillertal. Done NY 5 times in Mayrhofen, never had a shortage of snow, more skiiing and definitely cheaper.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Was in Mayrhofen once - never again. Pistes on Eggalm side icy and not prepared well, nobody even bothered fixing them after a day, found them exactly same condition as left the night before. There was a lack of snow during my visit (middle of Jan 2015) , temperatures -5 - -8c and all snow cannons were silent. Also not the best for beginners, since there are a lot of flatspots. My girlfriend didn't have problems with flatspots in Val Thorens and Les Arcs years before, but struggled a lot in Mayrhofen.

And in whole Mayrhofen-ZIllertal you'll find only local beer, which all 3 or 4 sorts are sour.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
.......and yet Mayrhofen is a fav with snowboarders. Must be all those flat spots.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
And yet, all those top list are worth of poo-poo, who pays more/buys more ads gets a spot in top list. Mayrhofen has a very good park, hats of, but not all snowboarders goes to park.

We were a group of 17, 5 skiers 12 snowboarders, none of us were impressed with it and would like to go there again.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Zillertaler bier is superb!!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Really for snow security, and charm, Ischgl wins.
Although it will be slightly more expensive than Mayrhofen.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ischgl here too, but i am a sucker for the area. Snowsure as f@!%, and the best liftsystem in the alps. Interconnected area, and a really nice village - Mayrhofen not so much to me:-)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If someone offered to pay for me to go to either of them, I'd choose Ischgl. Huge area, high, excellent lift system, attractive town and absolutely cracking apres.
snow conditions
Ghost Dog wrote:
Zillertaler bier is superb!!!

Agreed wholeheartedly.
snow conditions
The OP said "Is Ishgl worth the extra £800 in terms of the skiing on offer, please?"

Far family skiing, probably not.
snow conditions
JimboS wrote:
The OP said "Is Ishgl worth the extra £800 in terms of the skiing on offer, please?"

It is to me..

my kids love Ischgl, and in fact the whole Paznaun valley, as well as being able to get down to switzerland.
latest report
For snow security I would pay the extra and go to Ishgl. But with a family I wouldn’t want to stay in the centre. The apres is not very family friendly in my view are more male dominated compared to Mayrhofen, much more rowdy/bad behaviour. I would probably stay in Kappl (great mountain as well).
latest report
We stayed in Galtur earlier this year, very quiet...
ski holidays
JimboS wrote:

1600 pound Sterling plus, and it would still be okay with me - especially early season! Plenty of places suited for families in town!
ski holidays
I've done Christmas at both resorts and I prefer Ischgl. Advantage there is that although it's a big ski area it's easy to get from one bit to another quickly. Zillertal is bigger but only if you include the whole valley, so less easy for the family to meet up if you're skiing different bits.

I really don't get the comments about Ischgl town being rowdy. We stayed in a very central hotel (Hotel Arnika), 5 minutes walk from the underground access to the gondola, and there was no noise or rowdiness at all. More Lech than St Anton.
snow report
@Valkyrie,

http://youtube.com/v/grAkxBZ_Aks

http://youtube.com/v/cgjbKc0ETzk

There are lots more both around the Silvrettabahn and Pradatschbahn, the centre of St Anton is quiet by comparison, though Ischgl does not have the idiots "skiing" back down from the KK and Moser in the dark.
snow conditions
Ischgl can be rowdy - but only from about 16:30 to 19:00 and even then only really inside the apres ski bars. Step outside a rowdy bar and it will all be civilized on the street. Step back in the same bar at 19:30 and there's a good chance it will now be a very civilized restaurant.

Hell, they even have a local bylaw that makes walking in ski boots/carrying skis after 8pm a no-no, so people aren't disturbed by the sound of someone clumping home/falling over in ski boots late at night.
latest report
@muddewater, did you end up booking somewhere? Interested in your final decision.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy