Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

off piste in dolomites

Poster: A snowHead
Im interested in the challenging off piste of the Dolomites mainly the Sella Ronda area,I went a few times 25-30 years ago and did the Marmolada,Arraba, some routes on the Sella Massif , the Val de Mesdi and the routes down to Passo Pordio, not the most challenging but very enjoyable skiing. The approach and route finding, with help of local knowledge of conditions etc is fairly straight forward. on the Val de Mesdi, the Valle Blanche of the Dolomites and easier routes.
I did not do the more challenging stuff Canale Holzer and Val Scura a different matter entirely a serious ski with its own type of challenges
If i remember the Sella Massif can gets lots wind and the high towers can create a circular wind vortex making potential wind slabs at the start of each route, because of the nature of these steep narrow canyons, the right snow conditions,make them highly dangerous terrain traps, Also finding the right canyon could be difficult , don,t want to find myself above a big cliff and have to walk out so a Guide would be essential.
I will be staying in Canazie in Penia 7 Mar with Neilsons so if there are any Snowheads about it would be good to have a ski or a beer ideally both.
does anybody know of good local guide. if things work out ok Im trying to fit in 4 days in february there as well
Cortina has some pretty good serious stuff I have heard, when I was there last the link up was not available, is Cortina doable on ski climb and do some routes. Ideally I would like to do the Arraba Snowheads trip I -8 feb unfortunately I don't get back from US till the I Feb after being away for 3weeks my wife although she does allow me a free reign ? especially as I have 2 more trips booked.
I know some Snowheads have quite a bit of experience of the area, would love to hear the comments and advice
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Kas507866, I don’t do off piste so can’t help directly, but you might consider this for next season;

Sat 7th - 14th Mar 2020 :: SOPiB2020
Spring Off Piste Bash 2020, Serre Chevalier/La Grave Buttons!
To come on this, you need to be happy with anything a black run throws at you. However you don't need previous off-piste experience as we will have a number of groups covering the whole spectrum of off piste skiing, from nurturing noobies off the edge of the piste to (potentially) hanging around on ropes on the way into couloirs.

This coming season is full unfortunately, although it sounds like you’re sorted. snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
During the Birthday Bash we've hired Francesco Tremolada a few times. Lovely guy - very fond of pizza - but more importantly other guides call him 'King of Dolomites freeride'. He wrote the book on it - literally!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This one too
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oh, and you could always bring you wife to Arabba.
I assume she skis?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Champoluc.

Take a helo.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Whitegold, since when was Champoluc in the Dolomites?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That @Whitegold, he does like a sauna!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Unfortunately my wife does not ski,she has no appreciation of the finer points of life like 1000 ft of pristine powder,or a nice bump field. We did try a week non sking at Obergurgl, I ski toured and she was bored stiff, so she allows me to fit in around 5 weeks in the mountains, if I play my cards right and build up some mileage I could squeeze a short break in.even though the Dolomites are probably ideal for non skiers.
I can't really complain though
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Its definitely on my list, val scura in particular, but I'm always worried about snowfall in the dolomites. If recall correctly last season it barely snowed at all for ages and I can't imagine that was good for the off piste? Anyone?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@8611, yes last year was thin. I have not done much off piste there as I have been there solo. But I was comparing photos from the Croda Negra chairlift and March 2018 was mostly white and March 2019 was mostly brown. (fyi by comparison, the pistes were just fine...great snowmaking there)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
8611 wrote:
Its definitely on my list, val scura in particular, but I'm always worried about snowfall in the dolomites. If recall correctly last season it barely snowed at all for ages and I can't imagine that was good for the off piste? Anyone?

Last winter had almost no snow in Dolomites (area around Cortina, Toblach...). It was white, but nothing useful for ski touring, and even less for freeriding. Up to something like 2000 (I didn't get higher) there was basically something like 20-30cm snow, which was sort of ok to carefully slide down between rocks, but nothing real.
But then again, it doesn't mean a thing for this year. There's no pattern so useless to think on this how it will be this year based on last year. It can be great winter or it can be even worse then it was last winter.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Found this:
https://www.skiclub.co.uk/ski-club-holidays/sella-ronda-off-piste-1 so there is a link with the local ski school for guides!

Therefore maybe worthwhile contacting the Scuola Sci Canezei

https://www.scuolascicanazei.com/en/
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Kas507866, have a look at https://wowskitours.com
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well I think its traditionally an area of low snow fall but also low temperatures, hence the snow making capability. Last year might have been particularly bad but I think it generally doesn't get that much natural snow.
snow conditions
@Whitegold,
Quote:

Take a helo.

@admin,
Quote:

That @Whitegold, he does like a sauna!

Laughing Explains excessive hot air.
snowHead
snow conditions
@primoz, Hmm, not quite sure about that - I seemed to get in a decent amount of ski touring, almost double the number of ski tour days compared to piste days. Sure it wasn't amazing, but to say there was almost no snow? Anyway, this year looks set to be different, I was skiing fairly respectable powder on Marmolada and theres lots more snow forecast over the coming weeks. I know you have to take long range forecasts with a pinch of salt, but this https://effis.jrc.ec.europa.eu/applications/seasonal-forecast/ shows above average snowfall in the early season. Here's some pics from today https://www.instagram.com/p/B4kAVITImjY/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
snow conditions
Casa Alfredino wrote:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B4kAVITImjY/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Casa Alfredino wrote:
Here's some pics from today https://www.instagram.com/p/B4kAVITImjY/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Yeew nice one!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy