Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cost of living/eating in Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

My family and I have been invited by some friends to stay with them in Geneva and go skiing in Chamonix. I have been to Chamonix a few years ago and stayed in a chalet but things are a bot tight at home (new house etc etc) and as we would be staying in Geneva I wondered if anyone knew anything about the costs of eating out and drinks in Geneva. We would have 3 children with us from 13-9 years old. My worry would be getting there and things being really expensive as I would want to treat our hosts to a meal out to say thanks for letting us stay with them.

Any advice would be very appreciated. Also does anyone know how much ski hire would cost in Chamonix?

Thanks

Nathan

Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nathanm, how long for? When? It's a bit of a schlep from Gva to Chamonix each day. The cost, plus the high cost of living in Gva might equate to the cost of a cheap apartment in Chamonix (unless it's half term then all bets are off). Skimium.com would give you some ski hire costs - and discounts.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nathanm, how long for? When? It's a bit of a schlep from Gva to Chamonix each day. The cost, plus the high cost of living in Gva might equate to the cost of a cheap apartment in Chamonix (unless it's half term then all bets are off). Skimium.com would give you some ski hire costs - and discounts.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
nathanm, the kebab house round the corner does a fine old meal for about 20 francs a head. My wife wonders about the local dogs.

On the other hand, you can buy a modest round of drinks in one of the hotels on the lake and walk off with no change from a 200chf note.

An "ordinary" restaurant, without pushing the boat out on wine etc, but for a "treat" supper I'd suggest should be around GBP35 a head...

A small Leffe in my local is CHF 4.80
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We do exactly the same due to family in Geneva and to be honest the last few trips when we've added everything up pretty much works out to the same cost as a package deal from the UK to a reasonable resort.

It does seem to add up, eg just getting a croissant and a coffee in the shopping centre is 25chfs for 2 adults and 1 child.

We picked up the tab for a food shopping run and was nearly £200 excluding booze!

We are obligated to go but I do winge to the missus its cheaper to do an all in deal from the UK.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheaper to do a package to Flaine.
Depends on what you want from it and how much you value your friendship.
Chamonix is probably 2 hours from Geneva to ski. Everyday?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Do you have to go to Chamonix to ski?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nathanm, you can get to Crozet within minutes. Other places closer than Cham, too - the Grand Massif (75 mins ish) would be my pick if you want a big ski area with lots of variety.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For real budget skiing, for a couple of days, head into the Jura, if the snow conditions are good there is plenty of skiing for the not too adventurous, Thats a big if though Smile You can hire kit relatively inexpensively in Gex and drive 20mins ish up to Col de la Faucille. I am told feeding the family up there is still a lot cheaper than most known Alpine resorts. You could also consider taking your hosts out for a meal just over the border in France?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
CaravanSkier, what a good idea! At present the snow conditions in the Jura must be terrific. Les Rousses.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nathanm, I have friends over to stay occasionally, and yes, it is expensive. I try to keep the costs down for them where possible, as it be a shock.

I'd second northernsoulboy's recommendation of grand massif - shorter journey, and cheaper in road tolls too. I'm always happy to buy food for us to eat in too, and they cook/do dishes, and bring some booze through duty free (I love making cocktails, so always appreciated).

There are cheaper places to eat, but not very nice - not somewhere you necessarily take people out for a meal, but I can give you some options if you like?

Prices above are all correct.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ianbradders, 2 hours? Cham is one hour door to door. I do it every weekend. Anywhere up in the hills is cheaper than Geneva. We just went to a new Thai next to the flat tonight. 2 beers each, 2 mains 100 chf and we thought that was bargain!
Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nathanm, not sureI was as helpful as I could be.

Www.resto-rang.ch is a reasonable guide to Geneva restaurants. The price indication is sensible.

You don't need to spend a fortune, our perception after 6 years living here is that restaurants generally fit a fairly narrow band, the quality for price is usually "correct".

Where do your friends live (pm me if you prefer) I may be able to make a recommendation...

If near the French border (any one) then the French side tends to be better value for money but more variable on quality. Oddly enough.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nathanm wrote:
Hi

My family and I have been invited by some friends to stay with them in Geneva and go skiing in Chamonix. I have been to Chamonix a few years ago and stayed in a chalet but things are a bot tight at home (new house etc etc) and as we would be staying in Geneva I wondered if anyone knew anything about the costs of eating out and drinks in Geneva. We would have 3 children with us from 13-9 years old. My worry would be getting there and things being really expensive as I would want to treat our hosts to a meal out to say thanks for letting us stay with them.

Any advice would be very appreciated. Also does anyone know how much ski hire would cost in Chamonix?

Thanks

Nathan

Smile

Yeah, you're right. In Switzerland, especially in Geneva, everything is very expensive. It is one of the most expensive countries I have visited. I think you need enough money to visit this country. For example, I visit countries that have an average cost of living, because I cannot afford everything and these trips for me is a hobby. Recently I visited the Maldives, I want to tell you that I was surprised to see that prices are lower than others said on different forums. I even compared it from the site WHOSE LINK WAS REMOVED BY THE MODERATORS where he wrote that prices are lower than I had heard with the prices I actually saw. I want to tell you that on this site the prices were about the same. I hope this site will be useful to you too.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just a thought. If you’re a little out of Geneva on the lausanne side the traffic into Geneva is a pain in the morning.

As for eating, somewhere half decent but not fine dinning cost me 200 chf for two.
snow report
jbob wrote:
Just a thought. If you’re a little out of Geneva on the lausanne side the traffic into Geneva is a pain in the morning.

As for eating, somewhere half decent but not fine dinning cost me 200 chf for two.

Look at the date of the original thread, jbob....

It's a spam bump, sadly.
snow conditions
6 year old thread.
snow conditions
Doh!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy