Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good resort to buy a place

Poster: A snowHead
Bit of a pipe dream at the moment and don’t know if it exists but is there somewhere in Europe that is perhaps equidistant between a ski resort and the sea, so as to have year-round use? Don’t want to be up in the mountains but a view of would be nice. Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@bambionskiis, Spain, sierra nevada or catalonia. South of France, Isola
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Somewhere in france near the Mediterranean end of the Pyrenees
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Probably not what you're looking for but Trondheim (Norway) is on the coast, has some alpine and cross country skiing in the mountains just behind it. I'm sure some other Scandanavian towns/cities will have the same.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Granada Spain, served via Malaga airport and ski in mountains above.

Saying that, it's a very nice area just inland north of Malaga itself.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sierra Nevada, but even if you buy 1/2 way between the sea & mountain your an hour from either.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Much nicer in the mountains than by the sea in the summer tbh
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Much nicer in the mountains than by the sea in the summer tbh

+1 And many nice mountain places have lakes nearby.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alleghe is not too far from the Med at Venice, or if a lake would suffice, Madonna di Campiglio is pretty close to Lake Garda
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
South west France around Pau. 30 minutes from the Pyrenees resorts, an hour from the Atlantic coast.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hell, Fort William. On the beach, gondola on the edge of town. wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have often checked on onthebeach for a weeks holiday in winter by Nerja being closest beach to Sierra Nevada. Two hours by bus from Nerja to Sierra Nevada. 1 hour from Granada by bus, £5 each way.

https://www.lovegranada.com/transport/sierra-nevada-buses/
http://mynerja.com/about/nerja-bus-timetables/
http://www.map-of-spain.co.uk/large-costa-del-sol-map.htm

Some links from my searching. Holidays for a week in winter at Nerja can be as low as £150 including flights and transfers for one person. Of course it depends on accomodation and the timing.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 8-04-20 9:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cyprus Wink - Snow ski in the AM ; water ski in the Pm : Short snow season tho'
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sochi is on the coast and hosted the winter olympics so meets all your criteria.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wow thanks so much everyone for your suggestions - it’s very much appreciated. I hadn’t thought of a lake to be honest as I’m more of a sea girl myself but I do love a lake so that opens things up more.
snow conditions
Somewhere on the Limone Piemonte to Ventimiglia train line. Or on the Limone to Nice line (handy for Easyjet too). From the junction at Breil-sur-Roya you'd have a three-way choice:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/1407569289

Seems like cheap train tickets too.
latest report
I’d consider what flights to where you may be able to get in future as you look into this - routes will be restricted for sure
snow conditions
Lake Annecy is quite nice to spend time by, even in winter time. Many excellent ski resorts nearby.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Annecy

The free campervan park can be busy in summer time, but in winter there is usually plenty of spaces free. I do not know if it is still free, but it is well out of town, so a good 15 minute walk to the shopping mall in the centre of Annecy. Nice place to spend time when not skiing.
latest report
Somewhere round Nice - for lovely coast & skiing at Isola.
ski holidays
I spent some time in Nice in a campervan after skiing Serre Chevalier. Then I travelled along the French and Spanish coastline and popped up to Andorra for a ski. Stopped at a few hotspots on the way, but it was winter time so not too hot.

As a gypsy traveller in a campervan, it was the ski resorts which I was most interested in. The beach resorts were just something to do between skiing.
ski holidays
Montenegro or Corsica
snow report
Bigtipper wrote:
I spent some time in Nice in a campervan after skiing Serre Chevalier. Then I travelled along the French and Spanish coastline and popped up to Andorra for a ski. Stopped at a few hotspots on the way, but it was winter time so not too hot.

As a gypsy traveller in a campervan, it was the ski resorts which I was most interested in. The beach resorts were just something to do between skiing.

Thats teh best way to do it.
buy a nice camper van.
snow report
A nice campervan is not what I would get. In resort and the roads on the way to resorts are covered in salt and will corrode the underside of the vehicle, exhaust, brakes etc Not only that the road condition and traffic might create a high probability of a bump or two.

A second hand winterised campervan in good mechanical condition is better, as the resale value might tend to zero quickly if you drive it like I did.

I got a second hand van, and converted it to be winterised and something I could sleep in. Much cheaper, and less likely to have any resale value.

I would not recommend this kind of living to anyone over the age of 40. (I was between 33 and 37 at the time) It puts a great strain on your heart, and you need extra insulation (fat) to stay warm on the inside. Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

It puts a great strain on your heart, and you need extra insulation (fat) to stay warm on the inside.

Perhaps it was the extra fat which put a strain on your heart?
ski holidays
Last time I visited my friend who lives near Perpignan, in the foothills of the Pyrenees, it was April, and the day I arrived it was 23°C

https://i.imgur.com/2GS8M5u.jpg?1

and we had a swim in his pool, and the next day we drove up to the mountains for a day's skiing:

https://i.imgur.com/vCJxfFt.jpg?2

(4°C on piste - a bit warm, but that's April for you). Most flights from Gatwick were to nearby Montpellier and pretty cheap. Also cheap to leave his car at Montpellier airport or take the train. Just a short drive away, you have the seaside towns like Argeles-sur-Mere and Coilliure:

https://i.imgur.com/4XA94QX.jpg?1

[Sorry, the site isn't rendering my photo's for some reason, with or without the correct [img] notations]. I'm not suggesting specifically the area near Ceret and Perpignan, but just wondering if this is what you were looking for? As mentioned, one issue may be that the routes like his Gatwick<>Montpellier that made it feasible to shuttle at will between his work and relatives in the UK and SW France may disappear. Lots of Brits down there selling-up post Brexit decision so property may be chaper, but there's the complication of what post-Brext arrangements will be in place re ownership, taxes and medical care. Lots of factors to consider.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 8-04-20 11:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Åndalsnes in Norway could be a good compromise.
ski holidays
LaForet wrote:
Last time I visited my friend who lives near Perpignan, in the foothills of the Pyrenees, it was April, and the day I arrived it was 23°C

https://i.imgur.com/2GS8M5u.jpg?1

and we had a swim in his pool, and the next day we drove up to the mountains for a day's skiing:

https://i.imgur.com/vCJxfFt.jpg?2

(4°C on piste - a bit warm, but that's April for you). Most flights from Gatwick were to nearby Montpellier and pretty cheap. Also cheap to leave his car at Montpellier airport or take the train. Just a short drive away, you have the seaside towns like Argeles-sur-Mere and Coilliure:

https://i.imgur.com/4XA94QX.jpg?1

[Sorry, the site isn't rendering my photo's for some reason, with or without the correct [img] notations]. I'm not suggesting specifically the area near Ceret and Perpignan, but just wondering if this is what you were looking for? As mentioned, one issue may be that the routes like his Gatwick<>Montpellier that made it feasible to shuttle at will between his work and relatives in the UK and SW France may disappear. Lots of Brits down there selling-up post Brexit decision so property may be chaper, but there's the complication of what post-Brext arrangements will be in place re ownership, taxes and medical care. Lots of factors to consider.

My parents have a place in that area, just to the south of Perpignan. Flights in to Perpignan are obviously the nearest, but you can also easily fly into Girona, as well as Carcassonne, Montpellier, Bezier, Barcelona etc a bit further away.

Don't tell everyone though, it's nice that not too many people go there wink
ski holidays
I was going to buy a flat in Perpignan about 25 years ago; it was right that I didn't but I would have loved it
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For Sierra Nevada close to sea or seaside resorts Salobrena, Almunecar (heard a couple of good reports) and La Herradura (one good report). For character old town Salobrena is amazing but parking is probably a mare. Probably and hour and a quarter to slopes - great thing is you only go on days when the weather is good as sierra nevada can be very windy and if vis is bad there are no trees as it is in a large high bowl at 2000 metres plus
snow conditions
countryman wrote:
For Sierra Nevada close to sea or seaside resorts Salobrena, Almunecar (heard a couple of good reports) and La Herradura (one good report). For character old town Salobrena is amazing but parking is probably a mare. Probably and hour and a quarter to slopes - great thing is you only go on days when the weather is good as sierra nevada can be very windy and if vis is bad there are no trees as it is in a large high bowl at 2000 metres plus

La Herradura is my favourite place in Spain (spent the whole month of September there in 2018). All the amenities you could want but not spoiled or built up in anyway. A charming town centre (much quieter than Nerja or Almunecar). An hour or so drive to Sierra Nevada, which we did just out of interest and for future reconnaissance purposes.
ski holidays
LaForet - Removing the ?1 from the end of your links seems to be a fix : i.e. the link ends .jpg[/img]

LaForet wrote:

latest report
stevomcd wrote:
South west France around Pau. 30 minutes from the Pyrenees resorts, an hour from the Atlantic coast.

I think the timings are optimistic but yeah, somewhere within an hour of the best bit of beach holiday coastline for families in Europe, SW France, and in the shadow of the Pyrenees.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

It puts a great strain on your heart, and you need extra insulation (fat) to stay warm on the inside.

Perhaps it was the extra fat which put a strain on your heart?

Pam, I was sleeping in temperatures of -15c to -20c inside the van after drinking quite a lot of alcohol. This causes blood pressure to rise, and lowers body temperature due to vasoconstriction of periphery blood vessels. The condition of my heart at the time was worsened by the fact that I smoked and had done so intermittently since a teenager. (4 years on 4 years off kind of thing)

The extra fat probably stopped me getting hypothermia some nights. I was very active, and did many sports, yet was overweight at the time.

I have never had any heart issues, and my heart health is excellent currently. (not smoked since January 2006, drink in moderation, exercise regularly, maintained a normal BMI since 2007)

I have no doubt being overweight puts a strain on your heart, but you make it worse if you do things which put further strain on your heart. (add insult to injury so to speak)

Perhaps the best indicator of my overall health is my exercise log. A jog is about 3.5-4 miles, so I am averaging about 12 miles a week currently. I no longer get any jogging injuries in any severity. Blood pressure is lower than it has ever been since I started recording it in 1999. (I went for a health assessment in 1998 when joining a gym where I had to sit almost naked and get my fitness assessed. I was off the scale in terms of heart health (my fitness level was very good), but strangely my blood pressure was high after 3 double expressos in the morning and being assessed when I was freezing cold and my blood vessels were contracting)

My blood pressure monitor I bought in 1999 had three readings on my old computer in the attic. I was borderline hypertensive at the age of 29! Now it is normal aged over 50 no medicines other than exercise and healthy living.

Of course what you eat can also influence your overall health! snowHead
ski holidays
In Austria, the lakes region of Salzkammergut has a great mix of mountains & lake scenery. Try the Salzkammergut https://www.domus-global.com/upper-austria-resort-guide or in the southern state of Carinthia, there are beautiful lakes like the Woerthersee or Ossiachersee where you can swim and do water sports, ski in the Gerlitzen ski resort and you are only 2 hours from the Mediterranean beaches in Italy https://www.domus-global.com/carinthia-resort-overview. You can find some good property deals there as well.
latest report
@albob Thanks for that - I tried various changes to the URL but not that. It's the link address Imgur generated, and hasn't been a problem before. Cheers.
snow report
You are Welcome....
latest report
More choice than you realize for sea + ski.

1. Cyprus
2. Corsica
3. Sicily
4. Lebanon
5. Morocco
6. Pyrenees
7. Sierra Nevada (Spain)
8. Isola 2000 (France)
9. Tasmania
10. Sugarloaf (Maine)
latest report
@Whitegold, Many of these are not actually in Europe
ski holidays
@Whitegold,
You may have read somewhere on the internet that skiing is a thing in Tasmania but take it from this Aussie that it’s extremely unreliable. You may if lucky get a day or two on skis per winter and even then it’s pretty pathetic.
snow conditions
This series of reports from Greece should give you lots of inspiration
https://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=63259

For instance Mount Parnassos, skiing with sea view
https://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=63358
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy