Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SCGB Snowsports Research 2019 - Have Your Say!

Poster: A snowHead
For anyone with an opinion on snowsports, the Ski Club of Great Britain are running their annual Consumer Research Survey: http://bit.ly/SkiClubSurvey2019
It takes about 10 mins or so to complete - and it's anonymous!

Some great prizes up for grabs if you participate.
Ends at midnight on 16th July.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
After 15 minutes I was still only 50% if the way through so I gave up.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Also, although the first question implies the survey is open to non-UK residents, subsequent questions assume UK residency and don’t provide appropriate options for those who live in a ski country.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well that's a rubbish survey - How often are "Rarely" or "Frequently"?

I go ski-ing every year for one week. Is that Rarely or Frequently

And that's just Part 1 Sad

It didn't get any better - although I did complete it rolling eyes
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The opening post beggars belief.
No one should have any confidence in "research" based on self-sampling.
My late father - Rudy Goldsmith - spent his career in market research and gave lectures on sampling to bodies such as the London School of Economics.

For those (such as 'nidski') who clearly need a primer on this ... though it's really little more than commonsense ...

"Effective sampling techniques"
[British Library]
https://www.bl.uk/business-and-ip-centre/articles/effective-sampling-techniques-for-market-research

"Why is a self selecting sample a biased sample?"
[Wikipedia: Self Selection Bias]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-selection_bias

"What is Self-Selection Bias in Market Research?"
"This type of sampling bias has become more of an issue in recent years due to the popularity of social media ... to recruit as many people as possible to participate in market research studies."
[Drive Research]
https://www.driveresearch.com/single-post/2016/09/26/What-is-Self-Selection-Bias-in-Market-Research-Online-Surveys

[end of rant]
David Goldsmith
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
"opening post beggars belief..!

Cant see anything wrong with it ??
Nidski is just informing people of the survey Puzzled

SCGB should know that 'United Kingdom' isn't a Nationality...!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Keep calm it’s only a skiing Survey @Davina Goldballs!

It’s just one way of getting some insight into the market, based on opinion which is always going to be subjective!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well I was bored. It's not bad, as far as such things go - much better done than the garbage-degree student stuff often posted here. I actually managed to finish the thing.

I didn't have any problems with the language used except for assuming "UK" is a nationality, or perhaps they're assuming their respondents may be stupid.

As a snowboarder they could have disabled the ski-only resorts from their "where have you been", but that'd be being picky. Their choice of resorts appeared slightly idiosyncratic and very main stream. I'm not the target demographic so really none of the things they do would entice me to join, but I think I was forced to tick 5 so I tried to think about stuff people here would like (arguments about winter wheels wasn't an option). I had never heard of their sponsor, but I have now.

The questions seem pretty much related to the "strategic" stuff which someone published about them some time ago.
I'd guess this "survey" will reinforce the idea that they can't really compete with the internet for their "traditional" information services, and instead will sell insurance and package holidays etc.

--
I guess I'd want to ask the creators what the possible outcomes are, in terms of how many different possible strategies do they have,
and what specific results from the survey would make them divert into any one of those particular strategies.
I suspect there's just the one strategy, and that the survey won't change that.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
35 mins.

Covered most of the bases.

Always wanted to ski Sweden.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
So a recap.
The survey takes between 10 to 35 minutes to complete!
Best for UK residents.
@Davina Goldballs, we're only the messenger. Maybe take up the approach with the Ski Club? They could use your father's knowledge for better results?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No way would that survey ever take 10 mins if done properly.

Also poorly formatted and laid out, on my browser the boxes mostly didnt line up with the headings. Ridiculously long lists to look through. It looks like one that I have seen trawled out yearly with not much changed yoy, except the new SkiStar bit. So long that you end up losing the will to live and answer any old tosh to get to the end. I don;t know what benefit they get from it apart from a few emails to market to and some dubious stats to sell.

SkiStar is usually quite slick in their on-line presence and marketing, goodness knows why they let their name be associated with this amateur stuff.

@nidski, independent of it and only the messenger, apart from SCGB happening to advertise on your site?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ster,
Quote:

So long that you end up losing the will to live and answer any old tosh to get to the end.

this
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Usual crap SKGB survey, but then they'ze all so old they have nothing better to do with their time wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Took me longer than 35 minutes Embarassed . I don't know why I think I owe them such considered replies ...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

http://youtube.com/v/G0ZZJXw4MTA

Anyway the questionnaire made me realise that I had been to lots of ski resorts but had heard of very few ski tour operators.

The words used in the questionnaire are a bit odd. Take for example "Frequently" -frequent. Use the adjective frequent to describe something done often and at regular intervals. If your family likes to read, you may be a frequent visitor to the library. ... The adjective form of frequent also means regularly and often encountered.

Since my gaps between ski trips can be 2 weeks, 3 weeks, 5 weeks, 9 months. It is not regular therefore I do not ski frequently. Since we do not know the meaning of the words no reliable answer can be derived.

Similarly the questions about how much you spend on a ski holiday are meaningless. If your usual ski trip is every weekend a season then the results would be very different than if your usual trip is 10 days.

Sorry it is not real market research or having any scientific value. It is purely advertising.

Once again refer to Humphrey and Bernard and fill it in with any understanding of the meaning of the words you choose. I doubt if anyone will ever look at the results.
latest report
Fantastic
The fewer who enter the higher my chances of winning.
I see no problem in spending 35 mins for the chance to win a trip and see what they're interested in finding out.
snow conditions
20 minutes for me.

As above, it seems like I've skied lots of resorst and mostly under my own steam (DIY trips)
snow conditions
Just finished it.

is it still 2019?
snow report
Just had another look at the questionaire. I assume if you click the button for having been in the last 3 years you must also tick the box for have visited. The questionaire allows for both to be ticked so I assume you are meant to do both.
ski holidays
poo-poo
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy