Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance including off piste and touring

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
That old chestnut! Hoping I'm not being too optimistic. I was going to renew with MPI but they are currently unable to offer new policies.
Who else do you recommend? It needs to be multitrip and include off piste and touring-not necessarily with a guide.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Perty, BMC or Snowcard for full, all-in annual travel insurance with those activities covered. Alternatively Austrian Alpine Club membership gives you rescue/ repatriation cover for the activities you seek - and I think Club Alpin Francais does too - but you’d need to have a standard travel insurance alongside it (we use the Nationwide Flex+ cover that comes with our bank account). Not sure about geographical extent of AAC/ CAF cover but it is at least all of the European ranges and possibly further afield too. AAC(UK) website will give you the details (in English).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Perty, What max duration? SCGB do an annual multi trip covering what you want with 31 day max IIRC. There's a discount of you are a member (ducks for cover wink )
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Austrian Alpine club if you are UK based, else CAF
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just sorted my son out with Big Cat Travel Insurance. Multi-trip with max length of a single trip being 70 days. Winter sports option included off-piste either with a guide or in a group of at least 3 carrying communications equipment (i.e. a mobile phone) - son has had it well and truly drummed into him to not go off-piste without beacon/shovel/probe, and to practise using them before he does
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've had good experiences with Snowcard and, when I got hurt, the claim went through without any issues. They offer higher levels of rescue and medical cover vs AAC. Specifically £100,000 on rescue and £10m on medical. AAC offers 25k EUR for rescue and 10k for medically necessary hospital treatment, including transport to a hospital. See:

https://www.alpenverein.at/portal/service/mitgliedschaft/mitgliedervorteile/membership-english-version/0100_insured-worldwide.php

Depends whether you think AAC offers enough cover to handle a serious accident. I concluded "no" but that's a personal choice re risk appetite.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd also add that it depends where you screw up. If you get hauled off the mountain in France by the PGHM then the rescue is not chargeable. Conversely, my experience of Switzerland is that it costs a fortune just to get the helicopter in the air and then they bill you roughly 100CHF a minute. As I understand it, there's further technical complexity here around whether it's a rescue (they think you might die) and medical transportation (which is more expensive).

I'd think about what you are doing, where you are doing it and, say, what it would cost to fly up onto a glacier with a team and yank you out of a crevasse.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Idris, think CAF now only works if you are a French resident, that's the reason why last year we went with AAC but now we have residents cards we'll go back to CAF I think
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If in CH just buy a subscription to REGA for circa 40chf and you’re covered for heli evacuation
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks all. It’s for France. I’ll look at Snowcard and BMC. SCGB (yes I am a member) was £273, and I’m sure I didn’t pay anything like that for 2 people last time through MPI. IF (maybe now a big IF) we get away on Boxing Day, we might exceed the 31 days for the one trip.
Mr P is heading to France tomorrow for a week (not me..boo) and I need to insure him in case he gets a bit carried away on Saturday on opening day in Les Menuires, and in particular if he gets to ride the new Masse lift…Much as I remind him that the OP off the side is unlikely to be v deep, he has form for ignoring me… rolling eyes.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I usually use AAC, but decided with Covid the cover wasn't enough. I need insurance for unguided alpine climbing and unguided ski touring throughout the year. I think the AAC used to rely on use of EHIC once you were rescued. With the current difficulties with France, I decided not to risk it, and paid for BMC insurance.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy