Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kids or Adults ski's

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Our youngest & properly best skier in the family has out grown his kids Race Tigers & weird as I am I am thinking new skis for his July birthday. Thing is, do you get a 160 cm tall, 52Kg 12 year old kids or adult ski's? He is a reasonable skier & can carve reds & actually ski blacks not just gets down them. he does table of the side a fair bit & has said he wants his next set to be more all mountain.
I have these https://www.glisshop.co.uk/ski_set/rossignol/experience_80_ci_xpress_xpress_11_b83_black_orange-135611.html & I really like them but even thou they are available in 150 & he is a strong lad playing prop at rugby to a good level are they going to be to stiff?
any advise welcome.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Jonny996, given he's still growing there would only be any point in this if he's racing at club level on a regular basis or regularly skiing through the season. Why not rent and try out a variety of skis?

Skis don't know what age you are. They know what you weigh, and to an extent your height will make a difference in how you work them, but that's it. Any description of skis as being adult or for kids is either marketing guff or based on colour and graphics rather than ski performance.

Plus in a year's time having the same skis as his dad will be soooo embarrassing... Embarassed
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ousekjarr, thanks for the reply. He does get regular skiing & the fact that we would have to wait on hire shop opening every time would become a pain. He got 3 seasons (60+ days) out of his previous ski's, perhaps a bit long when we bought them & a bit short and of this year. I wasn't sure if the stiffness of adult ski's would prevent a 50Kg person from being able to carve.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I bought my daughter women's all mountain twintips when she was about 13. She was very light but technically a very good skier. They were about 155cm I think. Only less advanced, less stiff adult skis usually come in smaller sizes. Certainly did her no harm, they lasted until she was 16 and needed some new ones for her BASI1.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skis really don’t know how tall you are .,.

The ski shops we use open well before the lifts.

Renting would seem like the immediate best plan to me.

Or 2nd hand ...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Be aware that there is a difference between adult and child boots/bindings. You need to make sure they are both from the same category:

ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@altis, good point I'd forgotten that, she's 23 now Laughing And its not a good idea to put them in adult boots too early.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Jonny996,

My two (16/14) have been on adult skis for a few years and since they were 40 odd kg. Neither are built like props. Both are good skiers though - a lightweight that can deploy speed and high edge angles will bend skis just fine.

I've been buying second hand as even with handing them down they grow out of them pretty quick. VFM is excellent as you get a lot of the purchase price back when you get rid of them.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@jedster, out of interest, where do you look for second hand skis
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jonny996 wrote:

I have got our last 4 pairs from snowheads!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The boot/binding thing is only relevant up to about size 3 shoe, after that even if it's a kid's boot, it will still have the adult norm toe piece. Our boots at work are adult norm from mondo 22.
And if someone who's 164cm and 52kg can ski an adult ski (ie me!), then of course 160 and 50kg can!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Jonny996,
Quote:

I have got our last 4 pairs from snowheads!

2 pairs from snowheads! Both nearly new, good skis ~£200 a pair.

Probably worth posting a wanted ad on the board.

I've also bought a couple of pairs from hire shops in Les C. Generally you can rent a pair for the week and if your boy likes them just ask the shop how much to keep them - you may be surprised how reasonable they are. It's also really worth looking around the shops at Easter, you'll see ex-rental stuff for sale outside the shops but the reality is that they will sell you pretty much anything in their rental stock because they like to keep turning it over. Think I paid Eur 80 for one pair and Eur 100 for another and got ~6 weeks use out of each before selling them on ebay for £40. Bit of a no brainer really if you have somewhere to store them in the Alps. Oh and rental bindings are handy because they are easy to share around - we've lent them to friends and family too.

I did buy a couple of pairs from Ski Bartlett who used to buyback kids gear and resell it but I think they have stopped it now that ebay offers a good alternative.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy