Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Delaminating

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Help please, my skis started to delaminate during my trip this year, with a bit of careful peeling I managed to remove topsheet from back of ski to rear of binding where I carefully cut it off, at the rear of ski the various laminates are starting to come apart. The ski is now dry and I wondered what the forum would recommend to force into laminates before clamping up tightly. I’ve already bought a replacement ski but I would like to keep the faulty one as they are my favourite skis by a mile ( Blizzard Latigo ). I don’t think it was a manufacturing fault more an ignorant fault in lift queues, why do people have to crowd you’re not going to get there any quicker.
Thanks
Keith
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@enigma, were they not new? i.e.guaranteed?

Otherwise I believe a 2-pack epoxy would be the thing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmm not sure I'd have peeled back the topsheet all the way I'd probably have gopped in some epoxy at the place it was peeling and clamped them hard. PM spyderjon for advice on whether they are salvageable.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
+1 for contacting spyderjon.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Simple job with some 2-part 24hr epoxy and G-clamps, then use something like >these< for a belt & braces fix : my Salomon Sentinels had seriously delaminated at the tail from sticking into the snow, but refuse to wear out now Madeye-Smiley

Countersink the hole either side and pound the flat end of the rivet so it spreads out & fills the countersink hole - works a treat

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 15-06-19 14:30; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

salvageable

If it's only the top sheet, I don't (immediately) see why not? Oh, but now I see "various laminates".

Sounds dead.

Not a good look.

I cannot see how someone in a lift line can apply more forces that might damage a ski than you apply yourself while actually skiing.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@enigma, hmmmm.....this....

https://www.pugski.com/threads/can-delaminated-skis-be-skied.10263/

Various brands and models can suffer from delamination, a bit of contamination in the glue or a mistake in the timings during manufacture can induce weaknesses that the immense forces in a ski can then exploit (just look at a ski going over moguls, using slo-mo and you can see just how much punishment a ski can suck up). It’s not just ordinary 2-pack epoxy - you need the flexible type which Spyderjon stocks. There’s no harm in gluing it all up, clamping it well and seeing what happens. But bear two things in mind. It will be difficult to keep the making surfaces as clean as during initial manufacture. Secondly, when it fails it may fail big time in a condition of high stress - ie the time you least want it to. Take some photos and send them to Spyderjon.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone. The consensus is epoxy which I’ll try but I’ll buy good stuff rather than poundland kit. The skis are way beyond guarantee, the reason I blamed the shuffling in queues is only because I first noticed the problem was after an argument with a chap who kept on sliding his skis over mine. Hopefully I’ve caught the problem early the damage is barely 15mm.
Thanks again
K
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Extra thanks, just bought epoxy from Spyderjon
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@enigma, ....grief that irritates me so much when someone grinds over the rear of your skis repeatedly in the lift queue - really, it doesn’t get the impatient idiot any closer to the lift, and scratches up skis a lot. By accident once, fine. Twice, a nice smile and ‘sorry do you mind stopping...’. Three times, I glare and pointedly take my skis off or just say ‘fine....you go ahead....’. Which often confuses them quite a bit. Twits.

But most delamination at the tails occurs from whanging the skis down on to the ground when carrying them upright. Volkl had a whole series which were renowned for delaminating from the tail because of this - very brittle topsheets and no rubber end piece.....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've used flexible marine epoxy with some success.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy