Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Switzerland - 299 Big Avalanches

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Article lead-in:

"A total of 299 destructive avalanches were recorded over the winter with 19 deaths, according to an end of season report. NEW

Switzerland's WSL Institute for Snow and Avalanche Research, SLF, released its figures to the end of April in its Winter Review published this week.

It counts a destructive avalanche as one which leads to loss of life, injury or damages property.

All but one of the 19 people killed were participating in winter sports in unsecured terrain, classified either as backcountry (16) or off-piste (2).

The exception was a ski patroller who died on an open ski run when a huge slide swept across a piste in Crans Montana in February."

https://www.planetski.eu/news/11769
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How does that compare with previous winters?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The article says the 20 year average was 21, so this would be a slightly better than average year (unless you were or knew one of the 19 killed)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
So, there is a 94% chance of surviving a bad slide.

Avalanches are not as dangerous as folk think.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jesus Christ...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
"Avalanches are not as dangerous as folk think."

Yeah, I'm going to say that I'd rather not find out
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whitegold wrote:
So, there is a 94% chance of surviving a bad slide.

Avalanches are not as dangerous as folk think.

Your math is wrong. Not in all of 299 avalanches people were involved, some of them just happened, with no one on it's way. Some property damaged - already destructive.

In some more than one person died.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FrediKanoute wrote:
The article says the 20 year average was 21, so this would be a slightly better than average year (unless you were or knew one of the 19 killed)

Thanks
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kosmoz wrote:
Your math is wrong. Not in all of 299 avalanches people were involved, some of them just happened, with no one on it's way.

While you are correct, it's also true looking purely statistical chances to die in avalanche are pretty small. Even if you happen to get caught in one. Not gonna search for real data, but if my memory servers me right, about 90%+ people caught in avalanches survive. But at least as I'm concerned, this doesn't mean a shi*t when I go out in backcountry. I don't want to be in that little percent of people who get caught in avalanches and even less in that even smaller percent of people that die in avis. So at least as I'm concerned I do everything not to get caught in avi and I do it same, as chances to die in avi would be 99.9%.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy