Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Slush Avalanche

Poster: A snowHead
Rare footage of a slush avalanche in Austria in May 2019.

Fun stuff starts around 1:45mins.

http://youtube.com/v/rG2iVSNETvU
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh my. I guess I should say something non judgemental and responsible here but that contains one of the best "oh poo-poo" moments I have ever seen. Strong, strong work all round. I congratulate them all on not dying.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmm who could possibly have know that runnels are runnels for a reason?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hmm who could possibly have known that runnels are runnels for a reason?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Hmm who could possibly have known that runnels are runnels for a reason?

for gimping around on Bigfeet obvs
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dad was more concerned about clearing his GoPro than going after his daughter.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ozboy wrote:
Darwin's theory of evolution missed an opportunity.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Haha! Figl on Nordkette in the spring (you can't get up there with skis by this point afaik). Not tried it myself, but it seems quite popular and I recognise the participants in that vid – it looked like it was heading in the direction of horrendously bad, but I'm not sure that's the case. More from them here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BxAdGWogtxE/

esaw1 wrote:
Ozboy wrote:

Darwin's theory of evolution missed an opportunity.

Bunch of students, I think...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Apparently an official Innsbruck thing so we can safely blame @clarky999 for that gimpy sh#t.

https://www.innsbruck.info/en/skiing/skiing-and-snowboarding/firngleiten.html
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Dave of the Marmottes, indeed. It's all over social media in April, which is kind of annoying when the mountains have shut to skiers despite shittons of snow.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bloody nora, surely it was just luck that it did not all end badly?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Figling looks tragic.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For me anything after 0:45 is just plain stupidity and luck... and yeah as someone wrote, Darwin's theory of evolution missed an opportunity.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
primoz wrote:
For me anything after 0:45 is just plain stupidity and luck...
I can't see what all the fuss is about. That's not an avalanche. Skiing looks really dangerous to those who don't know the numbers.
snow report
@philwig, around 0:45 you can see whole flank slides and creates some 1m wide "creavase". Sure after that nothing major happens, even though this could still end bad, but if whole flank, more then 1.5m deep to ground, sliding, even if just a bit, doesn't trigger any bells, then I have no idea what would be "fuss" for you... getting buried under 5m of snow?
snow conditions
primoz wrote:
@philwig, around 0:45 you can see whole flank slides and creates some 1m wide "creavase". Sure after that nothing major happens, even though this could still end bad, but if whole flank, more then 1.5m deep to ground, sliding, even if just a bit, doesn't trigger any bells, then I have no idea what would be "fuss" for you... getting buried under 5m of snow?

FWIW these runnels/'crevasses' are created by all the people Figlning (firngleiten) down in a line, and the whole slope is avalanche controlled (for sure hard/impossible to control for wet slides, but they close it when it's too dangerous). Doesn't look much fun to me being swept down by the slush slide, but it's not life threatening.

Never tried it personally, but it's pretty popular here. Julia Mancuso was at it last year.

Couple of blogs/video about it from friends:

ENG: https://blog.innsbruck.info/en/people-stories/figlnt-nordkette-innsbruck/
DE: https://blog.innsbruck.info/de/sport-natur/figln-der-fruhlingssport-der-innsbrucker/
ski holidays
@clarky999, I'm not saying about existing ones... check video for some 10sec starting at 0:40 (0:44). This thing just opens and goes to bottom, which I wouldn't consider "human created runnel/crevasse but at least the way it looks not really glide avalanche, but definitely pretty good option for it.
I might be wrong, as just from this video it's hard to say and be sure, but for me it certainly looks like that.
ski holidays
@primoz, you mean where they climb over the bank into a new runnel? That's definitely made by figlners - you can see the side groves from people's arms/hands. They get carved out every spring as more and more people ride them. But yeah, looks (and is!) weird for sure!

Here's another example from the 2nd blog (form a couple of years ago):

latest report
Scarlet wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, indeed. It's all over social media in April, which is kind of annoying when the mountains have shut to skiers despite shittons of snow.

I don't understand the lift is still running, are they just banning the carriage of skis? In the tourist info video there's mountain bikes in the lift and surely these are just pixie skis, what's actually stopping people skiing?
snow conditions
@clarky999, I think we are talking about same moment, and I'm sure you can be right, but for me it looked like glide that created that crack, not that they were climbing into existing runnel. It could be just cam footage and optical illusion, but for me it looked like that runnel on right actually created when they were climbing out of existing one.
ski holidays
betterinblack wrote:
Scarlet wrote:

I don't understand the lift is still running, are they just banning the carriage of skis? In the tourist info video there's mountain bikes in the lift and surely these are just pixie skis, what's actually stopping people skiing?

Lift runs all year, also for biking and to take tourists/hikers up to the top. When they close the ski area they generally stop people taking skis up, though sometimes make exceptions, especially for ski tourers who may be going off the back etc (and park skiers up to the mid-station - the lift in question is to the top). I'm not sure of all the details, but I think it's tied up with insurance and the workings of the avalanche commission.
ski holidays
@clarky999, Thanks for the info.
But it still seems bizarre if insurance and avalanche control is fine with mentalists out of control sliding down steep colours on tiny heel skis but not with standard skis.
It's a bit like a skate park closing down to skate boards for a season and only allowing heeleys.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy