Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bindings for a Heavy Skier with 2019 Volkl M5 Mantras

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I recently purchased a pair of 2019 Volkl Mantras (191cm) and now need a pair of new bindings. I've been looking at Marker Royal Family, Salomon and even Look. I'm aiming for higher end bindings mainly because I'm a bigger skier. I'm a little over 195cm in height and weigh approximately 132kg. As it stands, I'd be happy to go with Marker Griffon, which seem to be popular, but I exceed their weight limit according to the Marker site.

I guess I should add I'm an Intermediate-Advanced skier who prefers on piste, but is looking for more off-piste adventure in the coming season.

Any thoughts on bindings for bigger dudes?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't worry about that per se. You just want bindings with plenty of metal in them. Griffons are fine though an acquired taste like all Royal family bindings for stepping in.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
monkbeer, If worried about the Griffons, just look for some Jesters instead, higher metal content and a solid binding.

Luckily picked mine up on sale Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
A well established solution, evidenced by my late father in law, would simply to nail your boot to your skis. It should be admitted that his skis were old barrel staves, so wood screws may be more effective.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oh, and I previously had a pair of Marker pro race bindings that went up to 20 DIN but Scarpa got em. I might have something similar grumbling at the back of the garage...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It's been many a year since I bought a ski system. There is a lot more terminology involved these days. If I could nail some boots to barrel staves, I'd save a lot of time and money. Cool

What's the general opinion of the downhill/alpine touring hybrid bindings like the Marker Dukes and Barons? From what I've read they're not proper backcountry bindings. Is their one real advantage you can walk more easily uphill?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@monkbeer, yes. But rather heavy. And a bit of a compromise.

Mind you, the Mantras aren’t exactly touring light either.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
monkbeer wrote:
......What's the general opinion of the downhill/alpine touring hybrid bindings like the Marker Dukes and Barons? From what I've read they're not proper backcountry bindings. Is their one real advantage you can walk more easily uphill?

The Duke is a Jester toe/heel mounted on a skinning frame and the Baron is a Griffon toe/heel mounted on the same frame. Both are solid downhill bindings that you can skin with them and your boots don't have to have tech inserts. If you've got tech inserts in your boot then the latest generation of freeride touring tech bindings are in a different class (ie greatly reduced overall weight, natural stride, lower, you're not lifting the weight of the heel/frame on every stride & all din certification/elasticity). Problem is that none of these bindings are really designed for someone of your height/weight.

I'd be putting someone of your stats on an all metal Look Pivot 18 and if you wanted a touring option you can combine the P18's with the CAST Freetour system but you'll need boots with tech inserts in the toe for that, although CAST will install toe inserts for you in you're in the US.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 20-05-19 18:11; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the knowledgeable responses. What consideration would you give for a skier's age? I will be 50 this Winter. I'm in fine shape and will probably be in better shape than most in their 30's & 40's when the 19/20 season starts.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hey @spyderjon, I've checked out the Look Pivot 18. They're definitely well-regarded. The 2019 Mantra is 96mm in width. The Look website site recommends the B115 bindings for skis between 95-115mm. This seems too wide, with an extra 19mm on my skis. Do you think it would workable, if not better, to go with the B95? They're at 75-95mm.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The 95mm brake might just need a tad of a tweak but that's what I'd go with.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy