Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sarlom Ski Length Question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just got back from Les 2 Alps and BUSC (where i managed to crash out of the quilifying GS Sad) While out there I started seriously thinking about buying myself a set of sarlom skis (and would have brought them out there if I had quilifyed)
Now back home I have set about searching Ebay, and have found an Austrian ski shop selling Atomic SL9s at a nice price, so I just wanted to check what sort of length I should be looking at getting.

My hight is 189cm and Weight 105Kg
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What are sarlom skis? Wink

Short. So short you might as well get snowblades. Why not get some real skis?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
parlor wrote:
Short.

Not if they're giant sarlom skis
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
the_fatadder, Slalom 165cm, GS around 180. Little Angel
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
the_fatadder, if you're serious, I understand you want the SL:11s not SL:9s...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
not really serious, its more just racing for the uni thirds at kings, and then BUSC next Easter, and Im definatly at the lower end of the ability level there...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
the_fatadder, SL:9s, notwithstanding the usual SHs caveat that you really shouldn't buy before you try, would fit the bill on paper at least...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
the_fatadder, I wouldn't think you need slalom skis at all. They can be very twitchy and nervous and react very fast. I should stay with GS or Cross skis until you're more confident with quicker and steeper turns.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PG could confirm but I believe the minimum length for slalom is 165 and GS is 185 for men for snow racing. If you are going to be racing slalom then you need slalom skis.

The SL9 is much more flexible and forgiving than the SL11, these are very stiff and quite heavy, you would use them quite short, subject obviously to the minimum racing length.

Why not visit one of the dry slope racing clubs, either in Devon or Cardiff and chat up the racers there, you will probably be able to borrow a few different pairs to try out, or come along to Pontypool on 24th / 25th June to have a go in the Celtic Cup and look at what everyone uses there? Many of the racers also race on snow.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
the_fatadder, 165 is the FIS regulation length for slalom. For less serious racing... go shorter .... snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy