Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Manchester T2 delays??

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone come a cross an extra hours delay at manchester T2 with Tui/Crystal??
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
V good/quick/no security queues when used T2 x2 earlier in month. But not flying Tui.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Last week in Jan we sailed through and that was with skis etc as well. They've improve the large item baggage drop. We flew about 2pm if that makes a difference.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Very quick when I got back 2 weeks ago. But by the time I’d walked to Border Control I did ask if we’d landed in Wales, its huge!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chocksaway wrote:
Very quick when I got back 2 weeks ago. But by the time I’d walked to Border Control I did ask if we’d landed in Wales, its huge!

We were on the end of one of the new piers when we came back in October and it actually says how far it is to the Border Control. It was something like 800 yards (carrying a knackered 4 year old).

It'll be good when it's all finished but it's going to be a building site for the next 10 years.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have to admit I'm relieved that this is about an airport terminal and not a shape-shifting cyborg that's tasked with obliterating humanity.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tuckin wrote:
I have to admit I'm relieved that this is about an airport terminal and not a shape-shifting cyborg that's tasked with obliterating humanity.

Given the proximity to Wythenshawe, I'm doubtful that a shape-shifting cyborg would stand a fighting chance against the locals.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We got stuck on the tarmac at Lyon for an hour or so due to Manchester having taxiway works. From the captain it was something akin to "They're having to push planes back down the runway so that they can taxi as their usual route is closed, which is why there's traffic restrictions", when we landed we then took part in a game of traffic jam as we had to join in a kind of roundabout of planes to get to our gate so that those queuing to take off could use the same area to taxi out as we'd just used to taxi in.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's just that Tui told us to be at airport 3 hours before departure!!!!! We fly at 6.30am and it's an hours drive to get there... Not much sleep
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Travelled late January with TUI from Manchester on time on the way out, 45 minutes delayed on return due to Chambery fog. Bags delivered within 40 minutes.

Did the day before bag drop off, highly recommended if you live close or are staying at a hotel the night before.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
yorkshirelad wrote:
It's just that Tui told us to be at airport 3 hours before departure!!!!! We fly at 6.30am and it's an hours drive to get there... Not much sleep

They always say 3 hours before departure. Check In and Bag Drop will close 45 minutes before departure.

All depends on how stressed you want to be getting through security then running to the gate (which might be a long way in T2).

They say 3 hours to spread out the queues.

EDIT: I'd err on the side of there being queues for a 6:30 flight in security, particularly if it's school holidays. I'd buy the Fast Track Security pass to speed that up as best you can (it's only a fiver or something).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The queue for the outsized luggage can be considerable, one of the reasons I dumped the bags the day before.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yeah - if you've got skis / board then you've got the two stage process of bag drop and that queue will be one bloke manually checking bags through the scanner.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@JeanPaulValley, All about when you are travelling maybe - never waited for more than three or four minutes for outsize bag drop at Manchester. But I'm mainly flying Jan and early Feb. (Never half term etc.)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@wiigman, @wiigman, Absolutely, midweek outside of prime ski departs (early Saturday/Sunday am) then no problems. When you get all the T/O passengers at the weekend with outsize luggage turning up at once it's a mare.

IIRC there's two outsize in T2, one in the middle and the other at the far end, near security.
latest report
We keep getting caught in the outsize/not standard luggage trap by taking big duffel bags that Manchester won't accept on their normal check in desks. It's pretty annoying at T1 which is slow, but at T2 it was pretty smooth.

I use it quite a bit for various travel and while it was really bad for a lot of folk post covid, it's no better or worse at getting you through to airside than any other UK terminal now in my experience.
snow conditions
We've suffered a few times from long luggage drop and long security queues at Manchester. These days we prefer Liverpool if it works for our destination (fine for Geneva) since the extra drive is reliably compensated for by the ease of getting through.
ski holidays
There's also a third of the check in desk area that was out of use a couple of weeks ago due to refurbishment. We had to leave the building and re-enter at the far end for the ski drop. There only appeared to be one oversized desk at that time.
latest report
@yorkshirelad, If it was me I’d go the day before, drop the bag (I believe you can do this), then go to a local hotel or airport hotel. Book fast track then have a relaxing evening and sail on through.

I used to do this often at Gatwick, Heathrow, Edinburgh, and a couple of times I’ve done it at Manchester (Radisson but others are available).
snow report
PS they may say turn up 3 hrs before but is the checkin desk open 3 hours before.
snow report
Mounta1nGoat wrote:
There's also a third of the check in desk area that was out of use a couple of weeks ago due to refurbishment. We had to leave the building and re-enter at the far end for the ski drop. There only appeared to be one oversized desk at that time.

Yeah - T2 is a building site at the minute (and will be for years). They've just started on the old bit of Departures so imagine it's pretty disjointed at the minute funnelling people from old bits that are open to new bits that are open and avoiding the closed bits).

All that said, you won't need 3 hours to get through everything. It's purely there to string out the queue.

I personally wouldn't bother with night before checkin if you're only coming from Yorkshire. Just leave enough time in case there's overnight closures on the M62 etc and don't worry about it.
latest report
At Manchester (T1) in early Jan (long haul), I possibly took it a bit far with Cathay and was welcomed as the last passenger to check in (73mins before take-off). Never been told this before. Obv everyone v keen! Anyway, sailed through, despite ski bag etc. I have found MAN v good this year, via T1 and T2...
ski holidays
JeanPaulValley wrote:
@wiigman, @wiigman, Absolutely, midweek outside of prime ski departs (early Saturday/Sunday am) then no problems. When you get all the T/O passengers at the weekend with outsize luggage turning up at once it's a mare.

IIRC there's two outsize in T2, one in the middle and the other at the far end, near security.

Too right. All about when - never weekends for me...
latest report
wiigman wrote:
At Manchester (T1) in early Jan (long haul), I possibly took it a bit far with Cathay and was welcomed as the last passenger to check in (73mins before take-off). Never been told this before. Obv everyone v keen! Anyway, sailed through, despite ski bag etc. I have found MAN v good this year, via T1 and T2...

I worked there about 15 years ago and we regularly had people on Thomson / Thomas Cook flights that were checking in 45 minutes beforehand. Plane never had to wait for them. Think the latest I ever saw was they re-opened checkin 30 minutes before to get someone through when they'd had a car crash on the way to the airport (it was quiet though so they sailed through security and made the plane).

My biggest thing with airport timings is always how far you are from the airport. If you live next door to the airport and know your travel times within a minute or two then you don't need that long (even in peak times). If you've a long journey then aim for 3 hours to give you enough leeway in case there's traffic / accident / bad weather etc.

With an hour's drive from Yorkshire (like the OP), I'd aim to be parking up 2:30 before the flight. Gives you an hour before I'd be getting stressed that I might miss the flight (even though you've probably got 1:30 delay before you'd genuinely struggle).

Also depends who's in your party. If it's just me then it's no stress. If it's me and my parents and wife & son then leave more time just for all the people wrangling you end up having to do.
ski holidays
yorkshirelad wrote:

Did exactly the same recently. (Had already checked in online and printed boarding passes.)
TUI were having one of those mornings! Check in board told us to use desks, opening at 0330. Staff refused to let us check in until, probably, they weren't sure, 0430. Eventually wandered down the hallway a bit and found a load of temporary check-in tables, who let us through and then sent us to those blinking self check in things (cue one very tired hubby venting his spleen vigorously when it wouldn't give us the right baggage allowance). Oversized luggage drop was back at the temporary tables, where it was all just loaded into a wheeled wire crate.
Anyhoos, once they actually let us tag and deposit our luggage, whilst a bit chaotic and with unusually-unhelpful staff, everything was very quick, and security were using the new scanners so that was speedy too.
snow report
On the plus side T2 have installed some of these new scanners where you don’t have to take liquids or electronics out of your bag. It’s a bloody marvel and meant we flew through security over the Christmas holidays!
snow report
@Lozza1uk, Thats good, they thought they would have them for when it opened but obviously didn't. I see the deadline of some time in the summer for all airports to have these has been delayed for supply and building strength issues.
snow report
The security line at Manchester airport is the worst of any I’ve ever used, and previously I’ve had to split a bag across as many as 5 trays because they’re so pedantic. This time just bunged the whole bag, and a coat on top into one over flowing tray and it sailed through.

All I had to deal with then was my husband moaning we’d got there too early Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Resurrecting this thread! We’re flying to INN on Saturday with Jet2 and was wondering how busy the airport is likely to be. Last time we flew from MAN the security queues were horrendous but that was a couple of years ago. Will it be worth purchasing Fasttrack tickets for security or should it be okay without them? Thanks!
latest report
paulhinch wrote:
Tuckin wrote:

Given the proximity to Wythenshawe, I'm doubtful that a shape-shifting cyborg would stand a fighting chance against the locals.

My eldest daughter has Wythenshawe on her birth certificate. My request to just have "Manchester" was denied....
latest report
Flown from MAN twice thus season and both times the security queues were so short I didn't have time to empty my pockets into my bag before I was at the front.
Hopefully this weekend will be the same but flight times make a big difference. Last 2 were at reasonable mid/late morning; Ryanair silly o'clock rush could be different.
snow report
galpinos wrote:
paulhinch wrote:
Tuckin wrote:

My eldest daughter has Wythenshawe on her birth certificate. My request to just have "Manchester" was denied....

Nothing wrong with Wythenshawe hospital. Our lad was St Mary's but Wythenshawe did a belting job of sticking my leg back together when I bust it a few years back. Some of the poshest people I know were born in Wythenshawe due to the proximity of Cheshire.
ski holidays
surferrosa wrote:
Resurrecting this thread! We’re flying to INN on Saturday with Jet2 and was wondering how busy the airport is likely to be. Last time we flew from MAN the security queues were horrendous but that was a couple of years ago. Will it be worth purchasing Fasttrack tickets for security or should it be okay without them? Thanks!

Always depends on flight times.

Slot 1 : 6am-8am departures is manically busy most days so there's always a risk you'll get stuck in security (same for most airports).

I always take thew few that Fast Track Security is £5....given everything else you're spending on holiday it's worth skipping the queues if there are any (and if there aren't you've wasted a fiver).
latest report
@paulhinch, thanks, our flight is 9am so I guess fast track might be worth it.
snow report
[quote="paulhinch"]
surferrosa wrote:

I always take thew few that Fast Track Security is £5....given everything else you're spending on holiday it's worth skipping the queues if there are any (and if there aren't you've wasted a fiver).

As my wise mate said when I complained I’d wasted my fiver - if someone offered to make sure there were no queues at security for a fiver, would you pay it?

Yup. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Yep, just booked it. Although seems to have gone up to £6 now!
snow report
surferrosa wrote:
Yep, just booked it. Although seems to have gone up to £6 now!

Inflation. They've a new terminal to pay for
snow report
Worth saying that's always been my policy and I've walked through the fast track queue before and ended to stood next to a couple who joined the normal queue at the same time.

As Andy says though, I'd pay the money to guarantee no queue
snow report
Just come through T2(Monday 0615) hand baggage only. But I walked past TUI/Jet2 checkin, no queues. Security took 6 minutes and only half the lanes were open. New scanners meant rucksack and jacket went into one tray. No need to take laptop out etc.
But you do have to remove belts, watches coins etc, unlike GVA fast track (diverted into not paid for). And they mean pockets empty, my handkerchief fell foul! Good job I didn’t have my Friday night posing pouch on!
snow conditions
As much as I dislike MAN we breezed through T1 end of Jan and T3 on Sunday, my only issue was that they were both so hot, why do they cater for the travellers in knickers and bras, rather than us skiers in heavy jackets Evil or Very Mad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy