Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Some thoughts on Meribel.

Poster: A snowHead
Just returned from 10 days in Meribel, (1st to 11th March) the second time I have been there, and I have decided that I won't be going back. 3V yes, but not Meribel.

We stayed up at the Altiport, which would have been great for getting up the mountain before anyone else except the Altiport chair hardly ever opened on time, so people coming up from the lower part of the resort on the gondola usually beat us to making fresh tracks in the abundant powder.

The bus service was really, really, busy, and after twenty minutes descending that windy road, I was ready to throw up in my fondue.

The resort is just too overgrown, like they have crammed chalets into every little bit of hillside.

Hardly any sunny, pretty places to sit out and relax in the afternoon. The Rond Point was fun, but it is a bit of a zoo and I was driven a bit nuts by the 'cool' crew who find so many new and jaunty angles to wear their goggles on their heads (backwards and upside-down seems to be 'in' this season).

People go on about how pretty Meribel is, but personally I just don't see it. I like resorts where you turn a corner and catch your breath at a new and majestic view that you hadn't noticed before. Sure, the buildings are prettier than say, La Plagne, but when I am in the mountains, I want to be looking at mountains! Most of Meribel looks across the valley towards the fairly uninspiring Le Raffort sector.

While the lift system is fantastic and we hardly had to queue, we found it near impossible to find quiet areas that we could have to ourselves. We found these easily in the other valleys, above CV 1650 especially.

Getting back down the mountain in the afternoon is no fun - always busy - and the runs back into the resort are generally steep and cut up. The less experienced people in our group preferred to finish off early or catch the gondola down.

Hell, I sound like quite the moaner. I better just add that we had a fantastic 10 days, had more powder than the rest of our lives put together, and can't wait to get back to the mountains - just not Meribel
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Duvet, Having been to the 3 valleys on a few occaisions I have to say tha Meribel is my least Favourite. I would like to try St Martin de Belleville. It seems to tick all the boxes. OK there is only 1-2 runs home but they are belters Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frosty the Snowman,
Did that this half term - pleasant village that is Chef lieu for Val T and Les Menuires, (ie Mairie) and is an alpine village first and a ski station second. Friendly folk ( yes its true!), quick access to the skiing but only 2 runs down, and we were weather trapped onto 1 blue piste for our last day of the holiday. Family all say they would want to go back and I think we shall.
Good inexpensive restaurants, a real butcher, concerts weekly in the church and other unusal elements for a ski holiday. We had a lovely meal at Le Dahu, table d'hote down the hill from the resort in the converted cellar of a farm. Home made raspberry aperetif, Lamb cooked "in the hay" and an outdoor loo next to the rabbit cages. The home made Genepi was something else.
Look at Here for self catering and catered DIY holidays

PS agree about Meribel Sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Martin Nicholas, Hey thanks for that. We lunched in St Martin and spent a whole afternoon doing silly things on Jerusalem, and falling off the side of Boilley. A different world from Meribel.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've never really seen what all the fuss is about with Meribel. Almost always has worse snow that its valley neighbours and definately worse that Courchevel/la tania. Is lovely in Summer when the crowds have long gone but it feels a bit like High street Kensington (with a few chairlifts Laughing ) on a saturday during the season...french is the second language!

I mich prefer to seek out those resorts which most english people don't go to or know about which have scenic runs, local atmostphere and NO Henrietta's and Rupert's shouting at each other 3 chairs apart about what to do next rolling eyes Confused

St Martin d B./ is a lovely village lets hope it doesn't become a victim of it's quaintness
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Meribel's redeeming features are nightlife and location in the middle of the 3V. Other than that it is busy, expensive, full of tossers who don't speak any french (aka reps), row after row of identikit chalets.....
I guess it all depends on how much you value nightlife - it is streets ahead of anywhere else in the 3V in that respect. I wouldn't rush back, but I wouldn't avoid it either, at least not in low-season. I bet the high-season lift Qs are bad.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In my 8 years of skiing over the Alps I would say Meribel is the busiest place that I have even experienced, especially at the end of the day.

I lost the wife there once because the amount of confusions by the skiers passing through. It is 10 times worse than going through Tesco on Saturday.

In recent years I found Austria, Swiss, Italian and even German resorts more enjoyable simply because there are far less skiers there, the pistes are less spoiled and everybody can afford to (even if not naturally act up to) behave in an orderly fashsion.

To be fair 3 Vallees isn't a bad place for skiing. It is just the number of skiers frantically competing for space that puts people off.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
saikee, I hope you found her again - I did notice a couple of ladies wondering around outside Pub Doran in a 'disorientated' state...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I lost the wife there once because the amount of confusions by the skiers passing through

Perhaps I'll give it a 2nd chance.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing I take it that Mrs FtS doesn't read sH then? rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Do it at mid term break, Meribel, blue run next to Plattieres Gondola lift, time to about 4:30pm, act naturally, use the word "Need to move fast to catch the last Pas Du Lac Gondola back to Courcheval so follow me closely" and then ski like hell

Best place to ditch your partner. Abandon this scheme if your partner is a better skier than you!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
saikee, Laughing I can seer it now. " wait for me my dear"
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My wife learns fast.

She makes me wear a Personal Mobile Radio (PMR or modern walkie talkie with a 5 mile range, yes an American version as UK sets are only good for 3 miles!) after that incident.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I can't see any redeeming features about Meribel - dreadful place! Don't think that much of the skiing either. Razz
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski, agree, but at least it means the hoorays are concentrated in only a couple of locations.
latest report
Try Meribel-Mottarret - much quieter & only up the road from Meribel Little Angel
latest report
Quote:

Try Meribel-Mottarret - much quieter & only up the road from Meribel

Do you like ice skating skiologist, ?! wink
ski holidays
Lorraine, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Duvet I hear ya. I originally swallowed the image of Meribel was the ideal pad as it's the apex of one of France's biggest ski networks.

True, the 3V network has great snow and great infrastructure. But having stayed in Meribel twice I wouldn't stay there again if you paid me (well, actually, if you paid me, I might reconsider....)

But sadly the well-known villages in the 3V, like in any other large resort, suffer badly from overcrowding especially mid-season. Best thing is to stay in the smaller villages and "commute" into the network - for example, as Frosty points out St Martin is gorgeous and doesn't suffer from the same problems as Meribel, but still gives access to the whole of the 3V!
snow report
Stayed in C1850 last week. Only queues seen were in Meribel/ Mottaret , Mount Vallon bubble and Cimee Caron cable car in Val Thoren. Otherwise very little time spent queuing and none at all in C1850.
latest report
Quote:

Don't think that much of the skiing either.

You don't think much of the Three Valleys??? Puzzled

O-kaaaay.... Other than the odd lift Q in Meribel, what is wrong with it?! Good lift system, loads of terrain for all standards, what is not to like? You might have reservations about Meribel's clientele but I am not sure what you want from a ski-area if the 3V can't supply it!
latest report
Depends whether Easiski's comments are limited to Meribel or 3 Vallees generally. I think the better skiing is Courchevel and Les Menuires.VT rather than Meribel. This is obviously a personal view and I know others that deride 3 Valleys generally, which I actually think is a great skiing area.
ski holidays
In my opinion the 3V is a great ski area, if a bit busy - my original post was about Meribel and its local slopes. I think Easiski was commenting on the same.
latest report
I would agree that the best skiing generally seems to be in the Courchevel and Belleville valleys. Poor old Meribel and Mottaret are used too much simply as a way of getting from one to the other. Having stayed in all three valleys, the Belleville is my favourite by a long way, with the Courchevel valley coming second. When the snow conditions are really good there is much fun to be had in the Meribel valley - but that isn't often enough. By the way, I gather it rained in Mottaret today. Queues? Only in Meribel/Mottaret and the Cime Caron, as dan100 points out. IMHO, the area of the 3Vs that is most neglected is Les Menuires - horrible resort (and miserable doctors) but with some really good skiing.
ski holidays
From a purely skiing point of view Mottaret has to be the best for getting all over the 3V. I think there are just as many good runs in the Meribel valley as the rest, trouble is that most people don't notice because they feel the need to get straight over the top in the morning and then only see those runs again on the way back, when they're crowded and beaten up. Best piste areas are Mont Vallon, Masse in Menuires and the long runs to La Tania and Le Praz.
latest report
Lorraine? - where you comin from ? - ice-skating? - ain't no ice in Mottarret (t's & r's yes!) - are you talking about ice-rinks cos there's one near me. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
skiologist, the runs into Meribel-Mottarret are notorious for getting skiied out and icy unless there have been mega dumps of snow. It is almost a spectator sport in the evening watching the ice-skating!
ski holidays
I second Lorraine's view. My early post was related to Meribel-Mottarret. The bottom section did not have snow when we went down. It couldn't have for the number of skiers passing through. If there was any snow the crowd would scrap it away immediately. It was really that bad and there was ocean of skiers at the bottom too waiting to re-group with missing friends. I have met less people in a typical French market day, say in Chamonix, Salanche or Cluses..
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ok Lorraine , you're right . -but is there ANYWHERE in Meribel that is the ideal place to stay? Puzzled
snow report
If you want basic self catering, then Mottaret at the Pierres et Vacances appts. Ski in and out, and it has it's own 24hr baby gondola lift thingy, straight to the restaurants and bars below. Nowhere near as rowdy as Meribel centre, but none the worse for it.
latest report
We have only stayed in one place in Meribel, Le Pub. B&B it was fine, we were on the top floor so noise was ok. Not sure what lower levels are like. We only needed a bolt hole to sleep (no sitting room etc). as we were visiting our son who was a punter bashing seasonnaire ( Twisted Evil ).

We usually stayed in Courchevel 1850 and once in VT, thats how we know how bad Meribel-Mottarret is 'cause we skiied over almost everyday (and skiied through quite a few times en route, when number 2 daughter did a season in Courchevel)
snow report
"number 2 daughter"

...what an unfortunate name Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy