Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Black Crows... but...

Poster: A snowHead
Last year I spent a week in Chamonix and I had a blast skiing on Black Crows Orb skis. Really enjoyed them.

So, I'm thinking of ordering a pair but we always have to fly to go skiing. Consider that we typically go from the US to Europe to ski so how much of a pain in the back bottom is it to bring your own skis with you? I haven't done it in years and years and that was flying to/from Colorado. Thoughts?

Context - we typically rent a car and drive ourselves... ex: Fly into Munich, drive to Obergurgl or fly into Geneva, drive to Saas-Fee. Family of four with two youngish kids in tow... young enough that they're too lazy to help, that is Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We Brits on the forum fly with skis all the time. Geneva airport is well used to them as luggage and have dedicated conveyor in the baggage hall for you to collect them. As you probably know, in Geneva the walk from the arrivals area to car hire and then the car hire free bus is about 100 yards max. Are you still in Colorado - I’d guess the airlines and airports in Colorado will also be well used to dealing with them. If you can get a bag with wheels that helps, and you should also be able to stuff lots more bits and bobs in the bag too. There is often a cost to add them to your baggage allowance-best check with the airline as to cost and maximum weight of a ski bag. The physical transporting of them in the car can be a faff if you have back seat passengers. You can buy magnetic ski racks for the roof, but with 2 small kids, as long as you hire a decent sized car -possibly an estate car (Station wagon) with split folding rear seats, the skis should fit in the car with one seat down.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quite often transatlantic flights have a big enough baggage allowance that you can include skis without paying extra.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've flown as family of four with skis and kids since they were 5yo many times and never found it much hassle, admittedly not long haul but I'm assuming you're not going to have the skis on the seat next to you or in the overhead bins?

At what age do kids become helpful?

Make sure you hire an estate car (station wagon) and you'll be fine. I very much enjoy owning my own skis and have saved a lot of money over several years vs rentals but I have never paid to bring them with me.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On recent trips in Europe I have been reunited with my skis before the rest of my party had got their hold luggage.

Whist I use a Snowkart case if I am on a transfer bus or taxi, I use a soft ski bag and bubble wrap if their are others in a hire car, it is easier to push the skis to one side of the headrests if the car does not have split seats. At Geneva I got upgraded for free to a Volvo XC60 because they could not supply the cheaper estate car that I had booked to take my skis.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I live in Texas... right in the middle of prime ski country... mountains as far as the laptop can see. My reference was to many years ago when I would bring a pair of old straight 190s to the mountain.

We typically rent an estate car since my wife has not captured the essence of "we're skiing... just rewear the same crap over and over again". I think that's because I like to ski drastically more than she does. Next year thinking of either going to Alta Badia or Val Gardena which probably leaves me with Venice and Verona as logical options unless we're stuck with Malpensa. Geneva definitely had the skiers vibe to it and you could see lots of people dealing with their equipment there.. Yes, even with that walk.

If I go ahead and get a pair of the Black Crows, I'll just cope with a bit of the hassle.

"At what age do kids become helpful? " - 25? Will be a while before I know.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would not count on them being useful at 25....
The sweetspot is about 14 to 15
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Feeling like I'm in trouble with the wife this morning. Surely getting a pair of skis wouldn't exacerbate the situation?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Feeling like I'm in trouble with the wife this morning. Surely getting a pair of skis wouldn't exacerbate the situation?

When I bought mine, I bought the wife a pair as well and hid them in plain sight in the shed - which she goes into every day to get her bike out - until her birthday (5 months later!) - can't honestly say that was the most rapturously received birthday present I've ever given her however she does now admit she much prefers having her own skis over renting them.

Pull the trigger on the Crows - you won't often find them for hire outside of Cham!

Lots of skiers come and go through both Verona and Venice so you won't have a problem at either with ski equipment although hire cars more of a lottery in Italy - especially in terms of winter tyres as they're not yet compulsory there.

I've got similar dilemma about how to get to Val Gardena for 1/2 term next year as cost of flights seem to have gone through the roof - we used to do a 2-leg flight to Innsbruck via either Frankfurt or Vienna but that's well over £2k this year & BA via Verona already sold out - even thinking of going via Bologna - but will probably plump for Munich as even though 4 hour drive, will definitely get a car with winters on it...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good point as there does seem to be some confusion on Black Crows skis once you start getting further away from Cham. They were great and the Head all-mountain skis I rented this past season just didn't come close. That said, buying a pair of skis for my wife would go over as well as buying her a bowling ball or vacuum cleaner. BUT... if she can buy purses........

Verona is convenient although I've found that sometimes airlines like Lufthansa decide to cancel your flight months in advance and then you have to reorient yourself. Happened this past summer when we had to fly into Venice instead of Verona to go to Garda. Bologna is an option... further but an option. Its also a crap airport. Mind you, I'm from there... for going to the Adriatic, Bologna is the best option but it tends to suck logistically. The gate areas are awful, even after the redo a few years ago.

I'm going to look again at the prices... it looks like I can get them for under 400 Euro.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ordered the skis - included a pair of Tyrolia Attack bindings. Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jma wrote:
At what age do kids become helpful?

Mine are 20 and 18 - and I'm still waiting. Hopefully get back to you with an answer in the near future ... but don't hold your breath !
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ItaloSkier wrote:

Well, if she doesn't find out then I think you are absolutely fine. Remember the eleventh commandment ... "Thou shalt not get caught".

My partner, who likes skiing but rather less than I do, didn't notice that I'd changed my skis until I told her and I went from multicoloured Factions to all black Heads !
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As long as my guitars are some shade of red, and irrespective of shape, butbare kelt in different rooms, I tend to get away with new purchases Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I’ve also got a friend who “wins” quite a few golf clubs in “competitions”
snow conditions
Yeah so the funny thing is that she suggested that by buying skis, I would save on rentals in the long-term since I normally rent expensive/demo skis. Who am I to disagree? So, of course, I should get boots using that same rationale, right?
latest report
Your own boots are the answer to .... almost everything (except perhaps what age do kids become helpful).

I've had my own boots for almost 20 years now, can't imagine skiing in anything else. Am dreading the time one becomes irreparably damaged. They will (should*) be fitted better than any other pair of boots as they should be moulded to for your feet alone.

- Womble

* Mrs Womble excepting... ended up buying an ex rental pair after she had used them for a week, no complaints since, despite 3 previous bought pairs.
snow conditions
I have some Orbs they are great Skis!
latest report
@ItaloSkier, I fly from the States to Europe every year and I've always taken my skis/board with me. There is never any problem in the transportation, just the physical drag of manhandling the things around and hiring a car large enough to fit them. If it wasn't for the fact that I ski in telemark boots I might consider hiring.
One big thing to remember!!!!! DON'T BOOK THEIR CARRIAGE AS A SECOND BAG !!!! With American Airlines as sports equipment they are $30 extra when you check in and not $100 second bag and with United Airlines they are an 'exception item' for $0 Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Watch the menu on the self check-in booth as it's a bit obscure and you will need the assistant to come and verify that you are booking in a ski bag. Neither of them weighed mine but on one leg they did come back with a big yellow warning sticker about being more than 23kg.
Lastly, ski bags get treated with little if any respect by baggage handlers so buy the toughest you can find or better yet the tougher 'ski tubes' are pretty indestructible. . . . Oh, and be prepared to go hunting in baggage reclaim for whatever obscure part of the airport is home to the 'oversize bag' delivery point.
ski holidays
I tend to fly United or Star Alliance airlines. I know that with United I get access to a pretty generous policy since I have status. Last I checked, here is what they have posted...

Quote:
"United accepts one item of ski or snowboard equipment per customer as checked baggage. Equipment must be securely encased in a suitable container. An item of ski equipment consists of:

Water skis
Up to two snowboards in one bag and one snow boot bag
Up to two pairs of snow skis and associated equipment in one bag and one ski boot bag
If the combined weight of the ski bag and boot bag is over 50 pounds (23 kg), applicable overweight charges apply.
A boot bag without an accompanied ski bag is considered one bag and normal baggage fees apply.
First or second checked bag service charges may apply.

Ski equipment in addition to the baggage allowance will be assessed at the current excess baggage charge for a single piece, whether or not it is presented as a single piece.

Ski and boot bags weighing more than 50 pounds (23 kg) or that contain other items in addition to appropriate ski equipment will be subject to the applicable overweight checked baggage service charge. Ski and boot bags that do not contain ski-related items will be subject to any applicable oversize and overweight checked baggage service charges.

United is not liable for damage to water ski, snow ski, or snowboard equipment."

I'll make it a point to get a good quality bag and then wrap sensitive bits with towels or layers or something that can help protect them.

As to boots, that's the next purchase... the skis should arrive today and I'll go to a local ski shop with the skis and bindings so I can buy boots and have them mount the bindings. Then I'll stare at them for months on end.
snow conditions
@ItaloSkier, if the bindings are 'rail type' then take them off the skis. If they are directly screwed, have them mounted with 'quiver killer' inserts that will allow you to take them on and off as you please. It makes packing and storage safer and easier and much less chance of damage in transit. If you get a wheeled bag, you can get pretty much all you need in one bag (plus boot bag). Note, all the heavy stuff goes down by the wheels wink

NB. Do not dribble or fondle your skis, both saliva and finger grease are corrosive Shocked
ski holidays
These are the exact bindings...

https://www.freezeproshop.com/tyrolia-attack2-13-gw-ski-bindings-2019/colour:162771/size:162769

What I may do with the boots is get a bag I can carry on so I can put my helmet and some other items (gloves, knee brace) in there, as well.
latest report
@ItaloSkier, yup, use https://quiverkiller.com/products inserts to mount them. It makes life much easier and gives you far more room in your ski bag to pack more stuff and without the need to wrap or pad vulnerable equipment.
snow conditions
By the way, I never even bothered to think about having purchased GW bindings which means I need to factor that in when buying boots. May be a good thing, though. Since blowing my ACL, I am less concerned about how skiing will torch my knee vs how walking in boots may torch my knee (slippage)
snow conditions
@Masque and others. Maybe here is a better question to ask...

I live in Texas. You can guess how many quality ski shops there are in town. There are two shops... how good are they at mounting bindings, tuning skis, etc? I don't know. SO... would it make more sense to leave the bindings off and wait until I get to Val Gardena or Bormio or wherever we end up going next year and pay a local shop to mount the bindings and do a proper boot fitting?
ski holidays
@ItaloSkier, I keep looking at a pair of BC in local ski shop, and don't even own them! Having replaced my skis two years ago can't yet justify another pair.

On protection in transit though, they are generally pretty tough to cope with service life in what they do but always think they are most vulnerable dropped dead on their ends from structural viewpoint.

Suggestion if using soft ski bag, to cover ends with something like a 5ltr plastic oil container (or similar) . Bubble wrap ski ends and push cut off container over top to keep in place, should be minimal weight for flying but would be pretty resilient to impact.

Recycling too, very woke Very Happy
latest report
ski3 wrote:
@ItaloSkier, I keep looking at a pair of BC in local ski shop, and don't even own them! Having replaced my skis two years ago can't yet justify another pair.

On protection in transit though, they are generally pretty tough to cope with service life in what they do but always think they are most vulnerable dropped dead on their ends from structural viewpoint.

Suggestion if using soft ski bag, to cover ends with something like a 5ltr plastic oil container (or similar) . Bubble wrap ski ends and push cut off container over top to keep in place, should be minimal weight for flying but would be pretty resilient to impact.

Recycling too, very woke Very Happy

Equally clothes in black bags work well or tube/pipe installation.
ski holidays
@ItaloSkier, where in Texas ?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque wrote:
@ItaloSkier, where in Texas ?

Houston
ski holidays
@ItaloSkier, give https://www.sunandski.com/tx a call. They have a number of shops around Dallas/FW and one in Houston and they should have a suitably qualified tech in tow. I still recommend using inserts rather than direct screwing. It makes life far less traumatic in transportation wink
latest report
Masque wrote:
@ItaloSkier, give https://www.sunandski.com/tx a call. They have a number of shops around Dallas/FW and one in Houston and they should have a suitably qualified tech in tow. I still recommend using inserts rather than direct screwing. It makes life far less traumatic in transportation wink

Know them well... I was recommended someone locally at one of their shops. They are pretty much the only game in town.
snow conditions
Allllright... skis are all set up with bindings, got a pair of boots and poles.

Decided I couldn't wait until next ski season so going to Arapahoe Basin in mid-May!!! Haven't been there in years. Excited.
ski holidays
Brilliant!

Read the thread title so dropped in to see what it's about. I love my Camox. Rad skis. Just got my wife some Captis Birdie in the sales. They have pink sidewalls so I also treated her to some pink BC poles to match. They will probably sit in my ski bag until her birthday which is ages away, but suitably close to next season. Hopefully she'll appreciate them as much as I do! It's great buying kit this time of year, keeps the stoke going until next season. Glad you are getting out again this year!

I picked up a Dakine padded ski sleeve half price. It's a questionable pattern on the fabric, which is why it was cheap and also very easy to find at baggage reclaim. Nice simple tough bag, I like it.
latest report
I just ordered a Dakine bag, as well. I can't remember if it had a silly pattern or not but if it makes it easier to spot at luggage claim, so be it. All kinds of great deals this time of year...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy