Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GoPro Hero 7 Black image stabalisation?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Toying with the idea of a new camera and really liking the look of the current 7 Black with the advanced image stabalisation, over going down the whole Gimble route... Anyone got one? The posted footage looks good but whats the real-world performance like?

Ta.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's very good, but it's not magic. It reduces small shakes, vibrations, etc to a very impressive degree, but it can't remove big movements. Works really well on a bike for removing vibrations, but won't remove major tilting or yawing type movements. It's noticeably better than the Hero 6, which itself wasn't too shabby. In low light the stabilisation performance is significantly less effective.

Depending on how rugged or weatherproof you need the camera to be, an alternative could be the DJI Osmo Pocket. Video quality on a par with the GoPro, audio marginally worse but it has a small mechanical 3-axis gimbal so the stabilisation (in all light conditions) is better than the GoPro. But it's more fragile and not waterproof.

The new 360 cameras have very impressive stabilisation in the software you use for editing the footage, but they really need to be mounted on the end of a selfie stick to get the best out of them.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was looking at a DJI gimble mount for my old Contour+2 camera which I've been using for years and still works fine although the mic is knackered. Like you say, I'd been a bit put off because of the fragility of the things although they do work well, hence the interest in the software stability.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
... hence the interest in the software stability.
3-axis gimble is better than software stabilisation, especially for removing big movements and in low light (at least as far as the GoPro 7 is concerned). But they are more fragile and not weatherproof, so you'll need to decide what is more important.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Toying with the idea of a new camera and really liking the look of the current 7 Black with the advanced image stabalisation, over going down the whole Gimble route... Anyone got one? The posted footage looks good but whats the real-world performance like?

Ta.

I've got a Firefly, it is about 100 euros, it has 6 axis optical image stabilization. To be honest, it is pretty damn good and I wouldn't faff with a gimbal and I'm not rich enough to pay GoPro prices.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@davidof, what is six axis optical image stabilisation?

The first three axis in physics are the X,Y,Z, the fourth axis is time, but what are five and six?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bar shaker wrote:
@davidof, what is six axis optical image stabilisation?

The first three axis in physics are the X,Y,Z, the fourth axis is time, but what are five and six?

That's what they call it in the industry

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2019/01/how-image-stabilization-works-in-camera-and-in-lens/

Quote:
Because cameras are a three-dimensional tool, image stabilization systems need to work on up to six different planes to properly correct camera movement. The most simple camera shake will be directional shake; horizontal, vertical and forward/back shakes. Rotational shake, or commonly referred to as pitch and yaw, control the horizontal and vertical rotational movements that can occur while handholding.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 8-04-19 14:52; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Marketting BS.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I bought a gimble to use with my phone and found it a right faff to be honest. I was constantly having to be sure it wasn't pointing off to one side or at the floor/sky. Plus the phone can be struggle to focus where you want. Sports cams are simply the right tool for the job.
Those DJI pocket ones look pretty useful but I'd be tempted by the 360 cameras or indeed the go pro black (if I could afford it).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy