Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carv

Poster: A snowHead
Article in The Sunday Times today about Carv. Motion sensor and insoles with 48 pressure sensors that send info to your phone about speed, acceleration, weight distribution, stance etc. Also gives you drills and feedback via headphones. Normally I’d be very sceptical about wearable technology, but thinking that something reminding me to keep my weight forwards can’t be bad. £199. I don’t think I’ve got room in my new boots though for the extra insoles though...

Anyone actually tried these?

http://youtube.com/v/abNZTKUbHVg
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snowheads helped out in the development actually! It might be interesting looking back at how it all came about.

Original thread here by one of the makers:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2754094

(and the even earlier call outs on here looking for test subjects, showing it started as a student project:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2678621
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2734772)

And an update here once it was a bit more developed:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2851412
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Still skeptical!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm a backer and took them up on their search for beta testers to get in some early season turns in Hintertux.

Confirm they work great and it's awesome to nerd out on the metrics after a run (in the same way I do on strava after a ride).

No issues fitting into my Freedom SLs which had a "performance fit" at Profeet a few years ago. N.b. the insole fits between the liner and the shell so didn't really notice it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fixx wrote:
Snowheads helped out in the development actually! It might be interesting looking back at how it all came about.

Thanks! Really interesting to read the threads and history. It should be great for athletes and their coaches. Question is whether it can help the average joe correct their issues without an instructor helping them with stance etc.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The drills are really good for getting the basics right: getting weight forwards, getting skis working together etc. and then there are more advanced ones which are harder to master.

I think I'm going to get an additional set for my girlfriend for our next trip this winter. She's a competant red run skier, keen to improve but is awful at taking "feedback" from me (read: she doesn't take kindly to me yelling at her while skiing). Carv will save money on an instructor and, more importantly, might save us from arguments on the slope!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
From talking to them at the ski and snowboard show I've decided to give it a go too, just waiting for confirmation from them on pricing.

Edit: Scratch that, website is working I have gone for it. All the gear .........
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Does it have to come with an annoying American in your ear?

Would be very interesting to see it in practice.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It runs off Siri so I think it's just the usual Siri American voice for now but I would imagine that there may be an option for changing this in the future.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
With the amount of American TV shows in my household I think I'f be thrown off if it wasn't

Lets hope it doesn't go ... "you're too fat, lose weight if you want to improve" Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Was looking really interesting until I read "Carv is working hard to release a great Android version early 2018." -.- hope they do actually get the android app out.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Talked to them at the ski show started off skeptical but the enthusiasm and knowledge of the person I spoke to impressed me, the background research seems to have been good and the product looks well,thought out. Very tempted.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Carv had a very good write up in the Sunday Times today.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I go skiing to get away from those nagging voices.

But interesting ...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I wonder if they are actually going to get to the general release stage, it seem to always get delayed.

I'm happy that eventually I'll get one, but they keep promising dates that get missed.
snow conditions
I have enough voices in my head already. Razz
snow conditions
Hi all,

Ross here from Carv - happy to answer any questions you may have about the product and of course if you're ever in Tirol, Austria we'd love to demo the product live to you.
ski holidays
At around 1.08 the skier is congratulated on her carving, when she's not carving. Standard piste controlled sideslip with tiny edge engagement at the end of the turn. Doesn't give me confidence.
snow report
@Dr John the video is primarily to showcase the features Carv is building. We have a team of data scientists including 2x PhDs who are working closely with top instructors, athletes and associations (e.g. PSIA) to ensure the 100+ sensors in the device are not only recording accurate date but also giving valuable real-time feedback.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 30-10-17 15:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@RossCarvDigitalSkiCoach, fair enough. Next question; what do I do with the custom footbeds I've spent time and money having fitted?
latest report
@Dr John, That's a great question. Carv fits in between your boot and your boot liner so you can utilise it alongside custom footbeds with no problem.
latest report
@RossCarvDigitalSkiCoach, Have you any release date yet for Android version ?
snow report
@deerman, we're working on Android for Q1 2018.
ski holidays
Any plans for a snowboard equivalent?
latest report
@Richard_Sideways, We'll start working on a version for snowboarding in 2018.
snow report
Hi @RossCarvDigitalSkiCoach, welcome to snowheads. I’ve gone for it and I’m very excited to try them out. Got to say the guy I spoke to at the show was very good, didn’t push the sales aspect just enthused about the device. That’s what did it for me.

Quick question. I’m sure I know the answer but since the devices are Bluetooth does that mean you need wired headphones for your phone ?
latest report
djf wrote:
Quick question. I’m sure I know the answer but since the devices are Bluetooth does that mean you need wired headphones for your phone ?

Think you can have two bluetooth devices connected at the same time, so BT headphones would work. I can use my Garmin watch to control the music on my phone when it's connected to a BT stereo, so assume it's the same.

Looks like a decent product and the marketing/feedback doesn't strike me as a 100% fluff piece (i.e the people talking about it have actual faith in it and aren't just being nice because they've got a free set and a ski holiday). £200 is too rich for what I'd spend on a ski gadget but doesn't strike me as a huge price tag.
snow conditions
Will it help if one went perhaps a little overboard at apres ski and then stagger homeward still wearing ski boots? Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
F1 Telematics comes to skiing... I'm in.

I offer £1,500 for 10% of the company.
ski holidays
Ah that’s interesting @SnoodlesMcFlude didn’t realise you could have two running paired at the same time. That’s interesting as I like the idea of wireless speakers in the helmet.

@essex, a drunk wobble mode would be a great idea. So much scope drunk dance, table climbing, jump around mode. Endless Smile
snow report
@djf, That's great news - welcome to Carv! Where are you based / where will you ski with them? We'd recommend wired headphones for now although as @SnoodlesMcFlude pointed out you can have two bluetooth devices connected at the same time.

Happy Carving!
snow report
Thanks @RossCarvDigitalSkiCoach much appreciated

Edit: just saw the other bit of your message. I’m based in Essex and although relatively new to Skiing I’m at Hemel Hempstead snow dome once or twice a week and now trying to do 2 or 3 weeks away each year. So a large part of my usage may end up being on 15 second runs down Hemel.
latest report
@RossCarvDigitalSkiCoach, any special discount codes for Snowheads? Seeing as the info from here helped develop the product, and all that... Toofy Grin snowHead
snow report
I just saw this and I really like the concept. But my cynicism lies in:

1) Can I ski and then look back at the data in my phone and get post-session advice from the phone, rather than taking real-time advice from headphones? I cannot stand having headphones in unless at rest, they take away a lot of spatial awareness and I don't like it - even when walking or running.

2) Can the insole thing work with a custom footbed? I think most of us rely on custom footbeds for our boots and for me, correct fitting boot with good footbed will come way higher in the priority list than the interactive ski coach app.
snow conditions
This is an area where AI could start playing a role - for good and bad. Lets just say when it starts giving you advice, and then starts modifying that advice upon your effort / advance / degradation etc to the previous advice, isn't that an area where Ski Instructor associations start 'believing' they're losing custom and express safety concerns on skier concentration / awareness issues.
An instructor may talk to you via a headphones setup, but that's still somebody with another pair of eye's watching out for your well being, keeping you (hopefully) on safe runs, directing your path and avoiding unnecessary risks, building confidence etc. etc. If you're listening and taking advice from this device - is that really the right advice in your present situation?

Can you really be fully 'situation aware' as all snow users are legally obliged to be and listen/think/react to this device simultaneously - i think not. As i haven't used this device, perhaps i should keep an open mind but there again i see phone users walk across roads without even looking - hmm... am i over reacting?
latest report
*technically* not AI, but an expert system - minor point but y'know.

It'd be interesting to expand the system with additional biometric sensors for heart rate, O2 etc like you'd get through fitbit etc. Assuming you're pulling accelerometer, inclinometer metrics through either the device or through the phone itself - relative speed through gps? Adding a vibration or torsion sensor to the ski itself could yield some interesting results relating to being able to offer different advice for detecting the surface conditions directly... If that took off you could start licensing the product to manufacturers for boots and skis to embed the sensors directly into their products... SmartSki SmartBoot ranges... etc.
snow report
I'm interested to see how the system interprets pressure into meaningful feedback.
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
It'd be interesting to expand the system with additional biometric sensors for heart rate, O2 etc like you'd get through fitbit etc. Assuming you're pulling accelerometer, inclinometer metrics through either the device or through the phone itself - relative speed through gps? Adding a vibration or torsion sensor to the ski itself could yield some interesting results relating to being able to offer different advice for detecting the surface conditions directly... If that took off you could start licensing the product to manufacturers for boots and skis to embed the sensors directly into their products... SmartSki SmartBoot ranges... etc.

or just, perhaps, you know, go skiing.
latest report
@red 27,

Quote:

F1 Telematics comes to skiing... I'm in.

I offer £1,500 for 10% of the company.

they won't be returning your call for that...

at the moment i suspect £ 1,500 is about 0.5~1% company value and soon 0.1% if the market agrees the device has actual advantages.

@Richard_Sideways, As for speed of developments, if there is good market adoption with positive user feedback etc., i'm sure v2 and beyond is just over the hill a little way of.

I'm hoping it can be hired for a day for a try out...
latest report
Dr John wrote:
or just, perhaps, you know, go skiing.

You're, surely, joking! I've never met a skier who wouldn't give their good right ski pole to prove - in numbers - that they are categorically better than the next guy.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy