Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good service from Salomon to fix Z12Ti mounting plate snapped in two

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So here's something I've never seen before... just my luck it's on my own bloody skis!

Went off to test out my dodgy knee and foot at Gloucester ski centre for a bit this afternoon; nothing adventurous, just short turns down the fall line. Packed up, took my skis off and the brake fell off one of them. No problem thought I, the screw must have worked loose - I'll borrow a screwdriver and put it back on. Borrow the screwdriver, go to put the brake on and realise it's come off because the mounting plate has snapped in two down the line of the hole for the brake screw! Sad

#

Anyone got a view on how this can happen? Any ideas if/how to fix it? It looks to me that the plate is an integral part of the heel binding so I can't just replace the metal mounting section? Think I've got a warranty/goodwill case? The bindings are 3 years old but only skied about 12 weeks. I can only assume it's metal fatigue and surely they should last longer than that? Skis were bought direct from Salomon via BASI but they couldn't supply bindings at the time (no stock) so I bought the bindings from Intersport in Albertville. Not exactly practical to take them back there and I doubt I have the receipt anymore anyway.

I've seen brakes come off skis many times but never because the mounting plate has snapped. Good job it was only a dry slope because it would have been very dangerous on a mountain - it effectively means there's only the two rear screws still holding the heel piece on. I hate to think how many pieces I could be in if that had pulled out when I was hard carving on a mountain.

Any nice Salomon dealer willing to take up my case or advise me, please?

EDIT - have changed thread title to reflect that Salomon are sending me replacement parts FOC without any hassle. Very Happy

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 23-01-13 14:39; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've seen quite a few of those. You'll be lucky to get a warranty deal but you could try calling Salomon on 01276 404858. My theory is that the torsionally weak three-screw toe piece & plasticy heelpiece twists under load & that's the weak spot that takes the load.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, Jon. Interesting but disappointing to hear I'm not the only one. Guess I'll give them a call and see what they say. Do you know if they have a serial number somewhere on them, in case they ask?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have a set of those bindings and have had three failures of the same part, each time I have called saloman and they have asked for a photo which I sent and they have sent a new "pair" of plates.

I think it is caused by over thightening the break screw!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have a set of those bindings and have had three failures of the same part, each time I have called saloman and they have asked for a photo which I sent and they have sent a new "pair" of plates.

I think it is caused by over thightening the break screw!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think when you get the new parts and fit them you'll be a lot more concerned. The heal isn't "screwed" on, it clips in to the peice that is broken that then slots in to the plastic part which is screwed / fixed to the ski. I only know because mine came out mid mountain!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks spyderjon and Hillsie - all sorted! I gave them a call and they're sending out replacement binding tracks FOC today. No need to send a photo. I asked the guy who I spoke to if it was a common problem and he said not (but then he would, wouldn't he!) and in his opinion it was caused by the brake screw being too tight - but he was suggesting that the brake screw might be is screwed all the way into the ski which in this case at least, it isn't.

I've now pulled them apart properly and I think it's this that causes the problem:
Hillsie wrote:
The heal isn't "screwed" on, it clips in to the peice that is broken that then slots in to the plastic part which is screwed / fixed to the ski.

The 2 rear screws don't go directly through the track so it's difficult to get them as tight as the front screws and to guarantee that there's no play under the heel. If there's any leverage there, then over time that would cause metal fatigue and the hole for the brake screw is the stress/weak point.

spyderjon this is a job I can easily fit myself; just a quick question - the bindings are on a Powertrak metal plate, do I still need to put some kind of threadlock in even though it's metal to metal? If so, I have some Loctite 'Titen' that I use for the buckle screws on my boots - is that suitable? I seem to remember reading somewhere that certain threadlock brands were not suitable for binding screws...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just a quick update on this - the new mounting tracks arrived this morning and are clearly a heavier grade of steel. They are also silver in colour rather than black. I took the other binding apart and the original track on that was also cracking in the same place, but from the outside in - so nothing at all to do with the brake screw.

I'd advise anyone else with a Salomon Z series binding with a 4 hole screw-in heel mounting to take their brake off and have a look to be sure theirs isn't cracking.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I wish I had seen this earlier... mine have just cracked.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ElBandito, Crying or Very sad but the warning has been there for a while Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
last week my friend had the same failure, track and rail snapped on one ski and the other was badley cracked. Our local ski shop in resort ordered the parts 16euros and fitted them for free said he had seen several failures exactly the same.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy