Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving through Germany

Poster: A snowHead
We are going to driving through Germany to get from Salzburg to Mayrhofen next weekend. Just looking through all the info sent via Sunweb and spotted this:

Quote:
Prohibited: It is illegal in Germany to use equipment or have a car that indicates speed cameras. On your navigation speed camera alert software may not be present, even if the navigation is off.

I will be taking my TomTom which has location of speed cameras built into it. In reality, could this be a problem? I will have a look at settings to try and turn the display / warning off them off, but I would really rather use it for the drive (it was part of the reason for going for the model we have, to get one with European maps to use abroad, TBH I am not at all fussed by the speed camera aspect only European maps and traffic alerts).

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@NickyJ, we use tomtom (in iOS app guise), and drive 2-3 times a year NL-D-A/CH. In my experience the app doesn’t flag up speed cameras in D, without any settings tweaks by me, but continues to alert for cameras in the other countries. And in any case I can’t see how the police are going to know, and it seems extremely unlikely they’d be stopping folk for random checks.

Have a great trip.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The exact definition in law varies across europe. It's illegal in France to use anything that gives exact location and even having it in the car is an offence. It is illegal to use anything that tells you where a camera is in Germany although enforcement varies by region. It's illegal to use any device in Switzerland too.

For most of the rest of Europe fixed location GPS based systems are legal but detectors are not.

See here for tomtom's statement http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5560/~/tomtom-speed-camera-service-and-the-law
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@tarrantd, thanks - although I found that, it didn’t seem to agree with the quote above which was saying even if it is switched off it is still and offence (which seems a bit overkill to me!), but drove my question, as I am sure there must be many other snowhead who have done this Happy

@Inboard, thanks.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@NickyJ, Why not just go via Bichofshofen and Zell am Zee. Much nicer drive and the trip over the Gerlos Pass is lovely. Only 20 mins longer than the German route. Did it a fortnight ago.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@NickyJ, also if you take the car out of Austria you will have to declare it to the rental company and likely have to pay a cross border charge of c€30
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
holidayloverxx wrote:
@NickyJ, also if you take the car out of Austria you will have to declare it to the rental company and likely have to pay a cross border charge of c€30

I have made sure we hired througha company which doesn’t charge extra from going from Austria to Germany

Thankfully the company we hired from in Feb doesn’t seem to have noticed we accidentally entered Germany in feb, as they do charge extra. We got confused and ended up in the wrong lane. Oops.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@NickyJ, yeah...I managed to to that the first time I drove to Salzburg airport.

The charge wouldn't be applied retrospectively
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This is extremely unlikely to be an issue. As far as I am aware there are no fixed cameras between Bad Reichenhall and Kufstein. The are fixed cameras between Kufstein and Jenbach (note 100km speed limit). Unless you are driving in a very odd way you are never going to get stopped, the German police dont patrol as in the UK, they appear if there has been an incident or someone is spotted behaving suspiciously. You are more likely to come across mobile speed cameras (largely operated by private contractors) but these are not usually on the autobahns and in any case the locations are announced on the radio (the idea being to ensure people keep to speed limits not to catch them). Sometimes the overhead gantries have cameras in them but these are moved around so doubt they would show up in a nav system. Basically you dont need to worry.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I heard that the Germans have deployed a new Satellite system that is able to detect drivers that slow down at fixed camera locations. The assumption is that if you do then you probably have an illegal device. The resolution is so good that they can read your number plate and penalties can be severe if you get stopped. They send signals to the cops. I’d be careful if I was you, especially given you’ll be in Germany for at least what, 70 miles?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Bodeswell, urban myth. There are a few fixed cameras in Munich, locals, taxi drivers etc know where they are so slow down, pretty much the same as anywhere else. Dont believe what you read on the internet................
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
NickyJ wrote:
We are going to driving through Germany to get from Salzburg to Mayrhofen next weekend. Just looking through all the info sent via Sunweb and spotted this:

Quote:
Prohibited: It is illegal in Germany to use equipment or have a car that indicates speed cameras. On your navigation speed camera alert software may not be present, even if the navigation is off.

I will be taking my TomTom which has location of speed cameras built into it. In reality, could this be a problem? I will have a look at settings to try and turn the display / warning off them off, but I would really rather use it for the drive (it was part of the reason for going for the model we have, to get one with European maps to use abroad, TBH I am not at all fussed by the speed camera aspect only European maps and traffic alerts).

Thanks

I spent approximately 15 years in the military in Germany, although I last visited in 2015. However, fear not; they are more interested in the laser detection type, not what is programmed on a SatNav. Funnily enough, I remember my SatNav not having camera locations in Germany, something that was built 'out' of the program.

Germany in general are a lot more tolerant of speeding, as long as you don't kick the butt out of it, I remember being stopped and getting a €20 fine (on the spot), no points with the Policeman being more concerned I was driving in Nordrhein-Westfalen in late March with my winter tyres on - I was actually just heading to Bavaria on Adventure Training that weekend for a ski trip! The same €20 fine would have been 6 points and £100 in the UK!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@OuchMyKnee, I think that may be one reason why the road safety record in the UK is higher/better than in Germany (and in France) last time I looked. As well as the fact you see a lot of patrolling motorway police here as well. It is bound to be a deterrent.
I've just driven back from Austria and through Germany both ways, I didn't see one patrol car in either direction but I did see a lot of people driving way too fast in my opinion-speed limit in place or not.
That was what prompted me to look up the road safety stats actually as I wondered if there were more accidents in Germany or not compared to here.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 7-04-19 16:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I noticed a lot more mobile phone use in Austria too having been there 3 months and when I asked someone I was skiing with if it was illegal there to use a phone when driving they said it was illegal but the fine is only €50 so loads of people still do it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@VolklAttivaS5,
Quote:
the road safety record in the UK is lower than in Germany

Lower as in better?
snow report
HutToHut wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5,
Quote:
the road safety record in the UK is lower than in Germany

Lower as in better?

Sorry yes, as in there are a lower number of road deaths adjusted for population in the UK than Germany or France. And the UK numbers are significantly lower than France or Germany too, not just a smidge.
The only European countries with a better record than us are Norway and Sweden and that depends on which stats you look at (for Norway) but Sweden has the best road safety record in Europe regardless of which stats I looked at. I've not fully looked into why that is but one of the reasons may be that speeding fines in Sweden are €200-400 equivalent a time (of course their fines are in Swedish Kr).

https://infogram.com/_/jBS0MVyPNJ13sP1FE8Lt

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 7-04-19 16:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@NickyJ, who did you use for your rental? just interested as we were on a lat flight last time and rented from Avis with a good deal, as the local providers all finished before the last flight. FYI. We use Waze to drive F,B,D,A speed camera location is automatically turned off in the appropriate country.
snow conditions
@radar, Europcar. We are landing at 10.25am so don’t expect any issues with the desks.
latest report
@VolklAttivaS5, no idea about the statistics but here most residential areas have a 30 km / h speed limit (20 mph) which is by and large kept to. The more general limit is 50km / h (same as 30 mph). Most cameras are in these areas few on the autobahn. It is a perfectly normal sight to see 7 year olds pottering about on bikes on their own, not something you see in the UK.

I agree the autobahn can be rather intimidating if you are not used to driving at 100 mph plus (the autobahns around Munich are particular bad in this regard), though note that if you are involved in an accident and were driving at over 130 km/h you are automatically deemed to be partially at fault whatever the circumstances. In general driving in cities here is nowhere near as aggressive as in London.
snow report
@NickyJ, Thanks
snow report
If you think London is aggressive...
snow conditions
@munich_irish, interesting thanks.
Yeah I think 80 mph is plenty fast enough really, after all when you consider the increased stopping distance required when travelling at 100mph compared to 70 or 80mph and also the reduced fuel economy (as well as not really saving that much time) then is it really worth it? Probably not.

What I had noticed on the autobahns was the frequency of seeing cars doing way in excess of 100mph and with not even one car length of space left behind the car in front (both cars doing the same speed obviously).
Aggressive, dangerous and selfish in my view because if they do crash they will probably involve a fair few others. I was expecting the autobahns to be not as congested as UK motorways but to be fair I can't say I thought they were any quieter.
In France then yes, I've not seen anyone else for miles so I would agree it wasn't as busy on French autoroutes (on the way to and from the Alps anyhow) compared to UK motorways.
ski holidays
@NickyJ, I must apologise for my facetious comment earlier. I have been driving in Germany since the late 80s and I can guarantee you nobody will stop you and check your tom-tom between Salzburg and Kufstein. Don't worry about it.
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, thanks, thought that must be what you meant.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy