Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Now sing this.......

Poster: A snowHead
I research in areas where new insights into brain function are yielding real benefits. This vid is extremely interesting. When engaged in DH, skiing and such, psychomotor co-ordination and visual inputs are processed by specific parts of the brain, with cognitive processes working flat out to process the information and make sure we don’t hit trees, screw up jumps etc. Meanwhile, anxiety originates in the amygdala and ‘overpowers’ the frontal cortex, affecting ability to make decisions - BAD THING. Singing seems to interrupt this process by blocking or engaging certain processing areas and preventing interruption of cognition, facilitating stress reduction and ‘unlocking’ (bad term but it will do) the natural level of performance in physical activity.

Sing...and you perform. The difference is startling. A great vid. And I am sure it transfers to skiing - why wouldn’t it? Irritatingly I have got an ear worm of ‘Money for Nothing’ which may well be my downhilling mantra. And ramp up the singing when the going gets tough....

http://youtube.com/v/vWyIG7wzgyM

And note that there is research into the ‘concentrate on breathing’ stuff which Tracy Hannah mentions in the vid:

https://qz.com/quartzy/1132986/neuroscientists-have-identified-how-exactly-a-deep-breath-changes-your-mind/

There’s plenty of psycho-babble in training processes - a lot of it is nonsense. This isn’t.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I sing a lot when I'm driving (alone.....). And often singalong to my music when skiing. Definitely helps. Money for nothing is on my playlist.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Why would anyone sane cycle at that speed through tightly packed trees?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Gordyjh, touche.....

http://youtube.com/v/xlXk49Mh7go
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
or maybe

http://youtube.com/v/_MXKN964Qrk
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dunno about singing, but I think that's the most annoying speaking voice I've ever heard. Shocked
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Gordyjh, because it's huge fun? GoPro probably makes it seem a bit quicker and narrower too.

See also

http://youtube.com/v/q-3O2utjm90
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Interesting - I do like a bit of cognition. Recall seeing something which suggested that singing and vocal harmonising has been a human trait since before speech, and singing 'lights up' the amygdala like a Christmas tree.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

singing 'lights up' the amygdala like a Christmas tree

And the ability to reproduce a melody is often one of the last cognitive abilities to be lost in dementia - when the words to the song are long gone.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
When I had to coax two very tired little girls in ski boots up the road to our apartment in a blizzard we sang - was just the natural thing to do and they (though not I) still remember what we sang. And I remember singing to keep warm on a chairlift at the Birthday Bash, a few years ago......
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I guess I do too much singing to think of singing when I'm not singing. (Hope that's clear. wink) I would only sing on a chairlift if I were learning rugby songs. wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Been singing for years.

My go to is 'So Lonely' by The Police.

Nerys has been singing 'Dreamer' by Supertramp but with these words when she skis steeper terrain

'Green run, it's nothing but a green run.
Do I put my hands in the air? Oh NO'
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mike Pow wrote:
My go to is 'So Lonely' by The Police.

You mean "Sue Lawley" ? Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gazzza, oh no ... here we go ...

Twisted lyrics.

Well ...

Get your money for nothing
And the chips are free ...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Made me think of this...

http://youtube.com/v/8N_tupPBtWQ

...and last season's OP bash.
ski holidays
Interestingly we saw a ski lesson of little kids in Åre that were all cheerfully singing as they snaked behind the instructor. It was a lovely site, but perhaps it actually helps them too? Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@thecramps, at New Year we strapped a Go-Pro to my 8 year old nephew. Watching the footage back it turns out that he sings to himself regardless of terrain or how busy it is. Funnily enough pigeondave (who joined us on the trip) sent me the video in the OP a couple weeks back wondering if it's the reason that my nephew sings.

On the opposite side, I often ski with music playing in headphones but when I need to concentrate (e.g off piste, busy, mogulled or steep) then I'll pause the music. So I guess that it's not the music itself that's important, just adjusting your brain's focus slightly.
snow report
@SnoodlesMcFlude, ...that’s right...listening to music is not the same as singing (in your head or aloud). Different brain process. The key thing is that singing appears to suppress anxiety, and it is anxiety that interferes with performance.
latest report
@valais2,
Quote:

singing appears to suppress anxiety

Sadly not when the singing is itself the performance. It would be lovely if it did - no more stage fright.
ski holidays
@Hurtle, ...very good point. You’d need to be able to sing (singing B) whilst singing (singing - A). Interesting thought. I think I need to go back to the physiological stuff on attention theory.....
latest report
A different sport, but an older acquaintance of mine who 3 Day Evented to Olympic level (and went round Badminton a few times) always sang as he went round the cross country. If he didn't then nerves prevented him breathing, so it definitely worked for him.

You could always hear him coming - he didn't sing quietly!
snow report
For years we have talked about stones just under the snow as 'sharks'. One of the French instructors in Tignes has a 20 month old who loves 'Baby Shark' made popular by Pink Fong, can't get it out of my head now even walking down the street but if singing it improves my tree skiing I may just forgive him:

Beware its horribly addictive!

http://youtube.com/v/XqZsoesa55w
latest report
There is a particularly good death metal version of 'Baby Shark'...
Do do de do de doo

http://youtube.com/v/d00uPBj1xNI
latest report
@Richard_Sideways, Aaaaaaaaaaaagh I'll never sleep
snow conditions
Brilliant @Richard_Sideways, now I know how we'll embarrass all the mini-Snowheads on the SFaB!
snow report
Had some of the kids I've taught him this season singing a re-worded Baby Shark: "Let's go ski do do do do..."
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy