Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pierre et vacances - check out and cleaning

Poster: A snowHead
We are able to go away the week after Easter for a few days ski trip so looking for accommodation in a high resort as so late in the season. Bellecote apartments with P&V in La Plagne seem good but then I noticed that end of stay cleaning is an optional extra. Whilst I would be happy to pay for this, presumably the cleanliness of the apartment on arrival is based on whether or not the previous occupants have paid for this. If they choose not to pay this we are at the mercy of whether they clean the apartment to a reasonable standard or not.

There is an end of stay check out but when I've stayed in apartments before this has been a cursory look round so probably wouldn't pick up an apartment made to look clean but not actually very clean. I'm guessing a really dirty apartment wouldn't pass and would be cleaned by P&V but self cleaners may just do the visible basics so it passes the inspection but isn't really clean for the next occupant.

Has anyone any experience with the check out in this place (or in any other P&V property with cleaning as an optional paid for extra rather than included)? Is it more than a cursory look around? We will be arriving late (after reception closed) with two children so I don't want to have to start cleaning the moment we arrive but if reception shut and apartment grubby no other option . . .

Thanks

PS Bellecote look good partly due to price but also because the bedroom is a twin so kids can sleep in there meaning we can stay up a bit later with the lights on in the lounge. And a decent size compared to some of the tiny apartments on offer. However, any other recommendations in a high resort reached from Geneva, not too expensive and no vague cleaning arrangements welcome. And not Airbnb as they can cancel at short notice.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've used them in Les Arcs 1800 this february, at Le Belmont.
We were supposed to take off the trash and clean the kitchen area only, including dishes. This could be done by them at an extra price but it was to easily done by us. The flat was clean enough,including the bathroom.
Best to check TripAdvisor/Google reviews
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@bastathecat, you have to leave them a damage deposit using a credit card which they take on arrival. From what I remember, if the apartment then needed extra cleaning, it would be deducted from that deposit before it was returned to you but it is a while ago. Apartments were always spotlessly clean when we arrived. I think that the apartments are always cleaned between lets.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@bastathecat, I'm a P&V owner. They're a very professional company and you won't have any issue unless you go looking for faults. All high usage areas of the apartments are cleaned between guests by P&V. Nothing to do with the previous occupant. As above, the end of week cleaning is the charge if you can't be bothered to empty the dishwasher.

Deep cleans are done between seasons so particularly towards the end of a season if you're going to run your fingers along the top of window frames and check the skirting boards behind the sofa you'll probably find fault. But you would in 90% of 4 star hotels too so I guess it depends what you're expecting!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for all the replies. Not looking for faults or super picky but equally don't want to have to start cleaning the moment I get there. I'm happy to pay the cleaning fee but that will benefit the next occupants, not me.

To Raceplate - that is good to know. However, I'm still confused. Most P&V apartments say end of stay cleaning is included in the description (and to be fair I would expect this!). This one specifically says not included unless extra (optional) fee paid. Which makes me wonder if the previous occupant can opt out of this, claim to do it themselves and leave me with a grubby apartment that superficially looks clean. And if P&V cleaning between occupants anyway as a matter of routine, why bother to pay the extra fee if all I have to do is leave the apartment tidy which it would be once all our stuff gone! It is the optional nature of the cleaning charge rather than it being included as a matter of course that is confusing me.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@bastathecat, I've looked at the website and I can't see anywhere where it says it's not included - can you post the link? It's compulsory for you to clean the kitchen area, nothing else - the extra charge is for the kitchen area only. This has been their standard practice for about 8 years. The end of stay cleaning included also refers to everything EXCEPT the kitchen. A free mini cleaning kit is provided for you to do the kitchen.

Basically, they expect you to strip the beds and put the sheets and towels in the baskets in the hall. Empty the trash and put away all pots, pans, crockery and cutlery. Empty the fridge. If you don't want to do any of this, you pay the cleaning fee.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi Raceplate. It is in the property description - Activities and Services - Extras - Take advantage of our end of stay housekeeping. This says it is not included but for all other properties I have looked at the orange 'on demand' banner is green indicating that this is included hence the confusion as it is not clear to me what exactly they mean by this.

Also, on the info tab it doesn't say anything about cleaning but all other properties I have looked at say end of stay cleaning is included suggesting that this is not included (because if it is included surely they would highlight this not put it as an optional extra as above).

I would expect to put the bins out, strip beds etc.

Not trying to make a mountain out of a molehill here but the apartment otherwise looks good but I don't want to run the risk of booking then turning up with kids after a long day to somewhere that might need cleaning due to unusual cleaning rules.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's not uncommon to have an optional cleaning fee.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I’ve stayed in plenty of ski apartments where we’ve had to clean at the end of the stay, and we’ve also had to rely on others cleaning before us.

In both cases it’s always been fine - we’ve cleaned to a high standard and left the place spotless. And the previous occupants must have done the same as the apartment has always been of a high standard when we arrived.

I’m not sure what the issue is to be honest?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ps.. and stated by @pam w we always had the choice to pay an extra fee for cleaning if we didn’t want to do it ourselves.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@bastathecat, you're right, it is there although you have to look really hard to find it. That building used to be the Maeva brand which is their lowest level so maybe it's on the old policy of guests doing their own cleaning still?

Just ring reception and ask them.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
When we stayed in a place through SkiStar in Sweden the end of stay clean was optional (we paid for it but I was surprised how me we still had to do before leaving which wasn’t great when we had to leave at about 4:30am to get to airport for flight). However in the stuff in the cabin was massive list of what you had to do if you were doing the cleaning and it said that if it wasn’t upto standard the end of stay cleaning fee would be taken from your deposit / credit card. I would expect same for this, ie and inspection between guests and that they would do the cleaning if not upto scratch.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Never had a problem with the cleaning in the 3 or so P&V places I’ve stayed over the last few years, including one up the hill in Belle Plagne. All of them had end of stay clean as an optional extra.

As raceplate says, they send through cleaners anyway, the ‘self clean’ bit is just something to try and reduce their workload I think.

However, you seem like a bit of a worrier from your posts and I wonder if your idea of a clean apartment is different to mine.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Stayed with them 3 x in La Plagne 1800. It is not a chore really. Make sure the kitchen area is clean. Strip your beds and leave all linen and towels in the bath and take out your rubbish. That was the deal in their accommodation at Plagne Lauze in 1800. You get most of it done when you are packing on the last night. I presume if you did not leave it as they asked and had not booked for a clean they would take it out of your deposit.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As someone who has done end-of-stay cleaning from time to time (for friends with apartments in the same complex as ours) I would say it takes a fair bit of work - and on a holiday costing thousands of pounds, would always pay for somebody else to do it! It could sometimes take the best part of 2 hours especially if the oven was a mess (though professional cleaners would do it quicker). One irritation was the finger and nose marks always left by small kids on glass doors. One blessing of cleaning in the French place was that soft water didn't leave showers etc covered in limescale. So cleaning the bathroom was pretty easy. But tasks like checking that there are no crumbs in the cutlery drawer and that all the fridge shelves are clean (not just empty) do take time.
ski holidays
We have stayed with them loads. After once staying in a very dusty appartment we now give it a good clean when we arrive (there will be a hoover and we take antibac wipes for surfaces). On leaving day it's an easy clean of the kitchen and put the bins out.
latest report
Quote:

As someone who has done end-of-stay cleaning from time to time (for friends with apartments in the same complex as ours) I would say it takes a fair bit of work - and on a holiday costing thousands of pounds, would always pay for somebody else to do it! It could sometimes take the best part of 2 hours especially if the oven was a mess (though professional cleaners would do it quicker). One irritation was the finger and nose marks always left by small kids on glass doors. One blessing of cleaning in the French place was that soft water didn't leave showers etc covered in limescale. So cleaning the bathroom was pretty easy. But tasks like checking that there are no crumbs in the cutlery drawer and that all the fridge shelves are clean (not just empty) do take time.

We are not letting our place at the moment but we took that attitude not to make cleaning an option but to bake it in to the rent explicitly. We just never wanted to have a discussion about whether the guests had cleaned it well enough.

Even now when we let friends and family use it (free) we ask them to pay for laundry and cleaning at cost. Same logic.
latest report
I always wonder if the blankets are cleaned between people? We always take duvet covers to put the blankets in, just in case
ski holidays
@NE1, I would be amazed if they are. I don't use them
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:

How do you keep warm then?
ski holidays
Last time we stayed in P&V we had duvets and duvet covers, not blankets.

There is a compulsory cleaning charge built into the rent in our apartment. Everyone including us pays it whether it is part of the rent (if you book direct), or as a separate charge (with Booking dot com or Air BNB). Even if I leave the place spotless, as we have our dogs with us, there are always hairs that settle after we've left.
latest report
We rented somewhere in 17/18 season and there were duvets with covers and then sheets under the duvets. I can’t remember now whether we took our own sheets or if they were provided, but I had read about this sheet business on the website so took our own duvet covers as I didn’t like the thought of duvets having covers that were not changed each let. And on thinking a bit more I might well as stuck our own duvet itself in the car so we didn’t use the one provided at all. We have been in six different rented apartments this winter and have all been very clean and bed linen and towels provided everywhere. Some of the towels were quite exfoliating!
snow report
NE1 wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

Duvet...it's plenty
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
NE1 wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

Duvet...it's plenty

Do you take a duvet with you? Puzzled
snow conditions
@NE1, i can't remember ever staying anywhere that didn't have duvets...we not in the last 30 years
ski holidays
Can't remember the last time I had blankets on a bed.
latest report
We have had duvets on the beds all winter but I think there were also blankets available in most of the places we stayed either in cupboards with extra pillows or in baskets in the room. When we had our chalet I provided duvets (appropriate Wright for winter or summer) and then there were blankets packed in poly bags in all the rooms in case of extreme cold or heating breakdown
snow conditions
@Pamski, yes, we have spare blankets too, and there's usually one in a wardrobe if we stay somewhere else.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes...blankets in a cupboard not on the bed. If I was cold enough I would just put one on the top.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy