Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

On-line ski bargains from......

Poster: A snowHead
....... http://www.sport-conrad.com

I've bought a pair of M:EX's to compliment my b5's for under £230 shipped. Cheapest UK price I could find was £400 for what was a £500 ski at the start of the season. Only 175cm's available.

My mate's just bought a pair of Burnin' Luv's for his missus for £280 shipped. This is an absolute steal as they're sold out in most places. If you can find 'em there's certainly no discounts to be had off the £380 list price. Only the 153 & 160cm's available which I guess is what most girlies would want anyway.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
spyderjon, I thought you were after a pair of wide skis. Twisted Evil
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
marc gledhill wrote:
spyderjon, I thought you were after a pair of wide skis. Twisted Evil

And on that very subject wink Took a look and spotted Volkl Karma's(06/07)at lower price,inc shipping,than anywhere I know of in the UK.I'm not even sure anyone here even has them?Apparantly known as the 'Streetart' design Confused Talks about spraying your own graphics,but pic shows them graphed? up(anyone know anything about this?)Also choice of three binding positions:Freestyle(forget it!)Freeride or Standard(Freeride + 1.5cm)I'm assuming that standard is the mid-point do it all position?
These are looking like my all mountain ski's of choice,so thanks spyderjon Very Happy

Q-Have yours arrived yet Jon.I'm out of here in 4wks,so don't want to leave it too long.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
presumably as these guys are in the EU you don't pay VAT or import duty???
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon, shame you sold the bindings!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
gregh wrote:
presumably as these guys are in the EU you don't pay VAT or import duty???

AFAIK,its stuff from outside the EU that attracts duty etc.Within there is free movement of goods,the taxes you pay are local(German,French whatever)
What does concern me a little is,I believe,Volkl have shipped all production to China?Should this be a concern??
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
marc gledhill, I still am but that price is a no brainer for a Metron fan Cool. 84mm underfoot ain't bad though & with far better on-piste performance than the 8800's or Monster 88's. My plan is still to pick up a pair of ex rental/demo 8800 or M88's in resort next week. You got the last one's in Snowbird ya bar steward wink.

gregh, Yep, no VAT or import duty.

Wear The Fox Hat, I only sold my 110's. I bought a pair of 120's on ebay a couple of weeks ago for less than what we paid REI for our 110's NehNeh.

snowskisnow, Marc skied Karma's in Snowbird & liked them & he's about the same height/build as you. Unfortunately I followed him down on a few runs & got pebble dashed from the Karma's rooster tail Mad.

You should really mount them so that your ball of foot is over the centre of the running surface, so get them to ship them unmounted so you can spec the position properly. I've been too busy with work to get started on my Campbell Balancer & my mate is currently relocating his machine shop so it'll be a good few weeks until I get started on it. It'll probably be the summer by the time it's made it so if you can wait that long you can use it.

There's a Volkl US guy on TGR whose posted that their Karma, Mantra, Sanouk, Aura, Queen, and AC4 models are made in Straubing - all the rest in China. The TGR/Epic guys reckon the Chinese quality is excellent.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There is a great price of 399Eur on 5* volkl supersports as well, nice find, those german ski shops sure knock out some bargains.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They have great prices on 06/07 skis Shocked Shocked such as the new troublemakers in lime green Cool
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Edmundh009, I think lime green's gonna be the new orange. I've seen quite a few 06/07 jackets with plenty of lime green & I think that the new RX8's are lime green.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I wonder whether it is a purely cosmetic change to the troublemakers as they havent been changed since 04. speaking of lime green ellis-brigham is doing seth pistols at a more reasonable price.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
the 04/05 dynastar legend 8800 is only 249eur at telemark-pyrenees also. I suppose the real bargains wont kick in for at least another month or so though.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
spyderjon wrote:
The TGR/Epic guys reckon the Chinese quality is excellent.

On reflection,this makes sense.Volkl are unlikely to risk their reputation with dodgy build quality?Had read elsewhere that some ski's were still home produced,though not sure which.
marc gledhill,which length did you ski?Would have been either 177 or 185.I'm leaning toward the 185 due to the twin tip loss.I'm 178 tall and around 190lb(variable Laughing )comparable??
Have read that the 07(brown)Karma is a bit softer in the tip & tail,but essentialy the same 'feel' as the 05(grey)one.Comments?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowskisnow, I tried the 177, it was all they had to demo.

Edmundh009, but those 8800's are really short, about 167 IIRC.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I am looking for some K2 burnin luv skis in 167 length and cant find them ANYWHERE!!!!! Can anyone help?
snow report
kittycat, Welcome to snowHeads.

You're gonna struggle I think. There weren't that many 167's around to start with.

Have you demo'd the 160? The Sport Conrad price is so good you could consider going for the 160's & if you find them too short you could flip them at the start of next season (the 06/07 ski is unchanged) & get your money back.

Or maybe the 167's are just your puurrfect length Laughing.
snow conditions
Thankyou. That is not such a bad idea!!! I might just do that.
For how much can you flog skis second time round? and Where?
snow report
OK folks,having spent a good part of this evening re-visiting my wish list........I'm going with the Karma's Very Happy and from Sport Conrad Very Happy Very Happy
spyderjon, as I will have no time before my trip,I think I will take a chance on the standard binding position.My understanding is:Freeride is to the rear for tip float;Freestyle is forward for landings;Standard being errrrr between the two rolling eyes Whether that's right for me???When you get your contraption sorted,we'll give it a go?
That just leaves length Puzzled Given my dimensions above,and the fact that my usual ski's are 5* @175,I'm thinking 185(as the twin effectivly shortens the running length).This is a big ski,and I'm just a touch worried in case its a bit much for an early off pister(but I do crave a pair wink )
Thoughts,comments anyone?
latest report
Quote:
Thoughts,comments anyone?
Don't buy them till you've tried them.

You'll recall we were talking about some 'other' skis the other day snowskisnow. I tried the Karmas at MK in June and to my mind, the difference between the two is huge.

I can't say which are right for you: only that if you are seriously considering both, it seems unlikely you've skied them both.
snow conditions
kittycat, Welcome to snowHeads.

The burnin luvs have proved very popular,so you should have no problem moving them if a bit short.Given that you take good care of them,at the Sport Conrad price you should be able to get at least 75% back(if not all Very Happy )
Where? ebay is a reasonable bet.Decent ski's tend to stand out amoungst all the discontinued junk;and you're not shipping from China wink A better bet,keep the faith and put them on here for next season snowHead
ski holidays
admin wrote:
Don't buy them till you've tried them.

There's the rub,and my single biggest problem.I've demoed loads of ski's at snowdomes(mostly Tamworth)and,for me,its so un-representative of actual skiing as to be almost worthless;so I no longer bother.I accept that MK is prob better,but its too far for me to visit regulary.My Volkl 5* are a good example.Was looking for a good,solid and powerfull piste ski.Tested a few and drew no firm conclusions;so sought views on here snowHead The 5*'s were highly rated(spyderjon almost insisted I bought them!)so I did.Not regretted for a moment,fantastic piste ski.Now face the same set of problems with an off piste ski(BTW,not looking for a one ski,does it all-will take both)I never seem to find what I'm looking for in hire shops,so back to where I started.
For me,the views of the snowHead collective is as good as it gets snowHead If I get it wrong,I can always put them on ebay wink

admin,as nothing is cast in stone(yet)what difference did you feel?
snow conditions
I felt the Karmas needed much more 'precise' handling. They seemed a lot more unforgiving of little errors (or what I like to think of as elements of a 'relaxed skiing style' Wink )

I suspect that with a little getting used to or under more expert feet they would out-perform my skis in some situations - for example, I expect they hold their edge on the piste better as they are very much firmer.
I think mine are generally more generous to the rider.

I guess I just didn't like concentrating so much and so in the end it's probably more about what you're used to. But, nevertheless they are very different from mine and I suspect few people would like both.

I wonder: is there anyone out there that really likes Volkl Karmas and Salomon Pocket Rockets?
ski holidays
admin wrote:
I felt the Karmas needed much more 'precise' handling...............I think mine are generally more generous to the rider.

That seems to sum it up quite nicely.As you rightly state,two very different ski's.To be honest,any opinion will only take you so far;ski's,and their feel,are a very personel issue.There are so many that may fit the bill,there is almost too much choice Confused I think I need a lie down in a darkened room wink
ski holidays
kittycat wrote:
Thankyou. That is not such a bad idea!!! I might just do that.
For how much can you flog skis second time round? and Where?

At that price from Sport Conrad I reckon that you'd fully recover your costs via Ebay or the snowHeads 'Buy & Sell' section etc.
ski holidays
M:EX's ordered late Mon pm, despatched from Germany Tues am, delivered Nottm Thurs am by Parceline but no one home, re-delivered Fri am. Good packaging. Skis perfect. Bindings set to boot sole length I'd advised. Skis have large stickers on them with a note in German reminding the buyer to have a tech check 'em & set the forward pressure etc.

Sport Conrad highly recommended.
snow conditions
Just a quick pointer on VAT/Duty and ordering in the EU (discussed briefly earlier).

If you're buying from an EU supplier, and you're in the EU, then typically you pay the VAT that applies in the country where the seller is based. So when you look at a German website, their prices include the local sales tax (17% approx, I think) which a German would pay and which you pay. This makes things straight-forward for the seller and buyer and is the reasoning behind this rule. If the seller does lots of business into another EU country, then after a certain threshold he is supposed to register for VAT in that country too and charge buyers in that country the vat rate where the buyer is located. The overall effect is that you will only ever pay VAT once, and it may be at your local rate or at the rate applying in the seller's locality depending on the details of the seller's business.

You won't pay import duties unless you're buying from outside the EU, but if you do that, then you should be able to purchase tax-free and pay duty or local tax at importation (lots of Swiss people do this for their weekly shopping in Germany/France/Austria/Italy).

The situation is different if you're buying internationally and you're a VAT registered entity yourself. I ran into this buying stuff from Germany in university. You supply the seller with your VAT details in your own country, he doesn't charge you VAT (and provides your VAT details to his own tax authorities to show why) and you eventually pay VAT (and I don't know where, I suspect in your own country). If you're in that situation, then you probably need an accountant!

mick
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy