Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cortina on the Sella Ronda...?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
Met a guy on a lift the other day, we were chatting about the Dolomites. He said he'd been to Cortina, and that he had heard the story that when they were developing the SR, Cortina had declined the chance to be linked to the main loop - because CdA was somehow snooty and wanted to remain separate - thats what this guy said.
Looking at maps, I cannot imagine how on earth this could ever be possible (Cortina linked to SR), the distance, the terrain, everything suggests this could never happen.
Interestingly though, Bergfex Cortina map does show that Cinque Torre will be linked to Cortina in 2021, so who knows...?
Cheers!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cortina is quite upmarket and exclusive. It also enjoys uncrowded slopes as many people come to see the town and views rather than to ski. Cinque Torri is part of the Cortina lift system and is linked, by a horse drawn carriage lift and a lot of poling via the hidden valley. I was skiing with the Cortina a member of the Cortina marketing dept two weeks ago, pointed up at Cinque Torri and asked if there were plans for a lift out there from the main ski area. At the moment there is not. There would also need to be a big lift from the bottom of the hidden valley back up to the Lagazuoi area.

I personally feel that Cortina is unique, special and would be better to remain that way. That said, it was always believed that the old money of Lech would never entertains lifted from testosterone charged and beer filled St Anton - and look what happened. Cortina is bidding for the Olympics again - with Milan. If that's successful then who knows what may happen.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
OK cheers. Ive not been to Cortina. Always dismissed it as too small, certainly for 5 days, especially with the gargantuan possibilities of the SR just around the corner. Yet Bergfex has it as 120km. If that includes CT and the HV - and i see there are two other small areas as well - i wonder how many kms that leaves for the 2 big main areas directly out of Cortina?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@cameronphillips2000, though the Cortina trail map here has a linking lift between Cortina and Cinque Torri marked out with a "for 2021" sign - so perhaps it is on the cards?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@shiva_71, Skiresort.info puts Cortina's home pistes at 120km, not including the hidden valley and 5 Torri which add a further 21km (and a further 9km of ski routes which are a bit of a mystery).

The figures above also exclude the smaller areas of Misurina, Auronzo and San Vito di Cadore which have 5 km, 7 km and 10 km according to the same website.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@denfinella, yep that the one I saw. It doesnt look anywhere near 120km from the piste map, interesting. May well head there for a few days after SR next year, having just come back from Lech i really like these places with a real historic ski culture.
Cheers
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@shiva_71, 120km could well be inflated - no guarantee that the skiresort.info figures are accurate.

I tend to find I ski about 60km of "claimed" pistes (i.e. going on ski resorts' km figures, which are often exaggerated, rather than actually measuring it myself) in a normal ski day given an average loft system and no queues, which would suggest allowing 2 full days for Cortina's local slopes. Does that sound about right? Looking at the piste map, it probably does. Then another full day for CT and HV, given that the latter involves a horse tow and taxi, plus a queue-prone cable car and slow lifts in the CT area.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@cameronphillips2000, He/She was being diplomatic. Your info is not correct. How long dod you spend with them?

There IS a plan to connect Cortina with a the SR but is being blocked by one politician. It is controversial and I can't divulge any more info at present.

PS I owe you lunch one day and you owe me a beer M8 Happy When you next on the BB?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I spent three days there doing a view for the Great Ski Guide which is being put together at the minute.

The ski resort has/ is changing.
The amazing run through the cliffs at Force Staunies has gone as the lift was past its useful.life, however they've opened up a new long black from the top of the cable car on the Tofana side which links things up nicely.

To be honest, on.my previous visit (only a day) thought the skiing was tame but the views, ambience and food.more than made up for it. After my visit two weeks ago, I realised that there is some.seriously epic.sloing to be had. In good conditions there are also some amazing off piste opportunities to be had too.

I'm still not sure about the benefits of a lift up to Cinque Torri. It is such and unspoilt, magical place. We spent a night at the refuge at the top of the chairlift there - an incredible experience.

I'll post a link to the video review when it's done.

Lunch and a beer would be great ....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
denfinella wrote:
@shiva_71, 120km could well be inflated - no guarantee that the skiresort.info figures are accurate.

I tend to find I ski about 60km of "claimed" pistes (i.e. going on ski resorts' km figures, which are often exaggerated, rather than actually measuring it myself) in a normal ski day given an average loft system and no queues, which would suggest allowing 2 full days for Cortina's local slopes. Does that sound about right? Looking at the piste map, it probably does. Then another full day for CT and HV, given that the latter involves a horse tow and taxi, plus a queue-prone cable car and slow lifts in the CT area.

Yes I would say 2 days would be enough, you might want to stay longer but id imaginen you could cover the area in 2 days.
Its got me thinking about not just 5 days in the SR but have a longer trip to some other areas. I really, really want to do Kronplatz - I did it before but starting from and returning to Selva and using the bus between the two lifts (Spontana - Piculin) but it was a bit stressful, and a real rush to get back iirc...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@cameronphillips2000, Can you please provide some more information on the "new long black" from the top of the Tofana cable car. I've just looked at the current lift map and the only black run I can find is no. 51, the Forcella Rossa, which is not new.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In that case I am wrong. It is the 51. But this does not appear on old maps. I assumed it was new. Or possibly reopened. When did you last ski it?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Any talk of replacing the Staunies lift? That was something that made Cortina special. We're looking to spend a day there in a couple of weeks. Coming over from Corvara. Also looking to get to Kronplatz from Corvara for a day as well. Never been there. Any lunch spot recommendations at Kronplatz?
The proposed lift on the map does effectively link Cortina to the rest of the Dolomiti lift network (assuming you can download direction Cortina from Cinque Torre base to the base of the new lift). Like Lech, they should think about the pluses and minuses of making that connection. Be careful what you wish for.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There are rumours it will be replaced. It gets people up.to the refuge at the top in the summer too. I hope it is replaced as it was probably the most dramatic piste in Europe.

The area is evolving. The world championships on 2021 is bronging changes. The new and old piste map show considerable differences. Quite few runs seemed to have changed colour too from what I can see.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
choucas wrote:
...............Also looking to get to Kronplatz from Corvara for a day as well. Never been there. Any lunch spot recommendations at Kronplatz?

It depends on what you want as ever....
We tend to go for good basic food at a sensible price, especially ones where we can get food suitable for my daughters (dairy free / vegan)
If you are coming in from Corvara then you will probably enter Kronplatz area by going up the Piculin Gondola. I like the restaurant on the right as you come off the gondola and go down some wide steps to a large outdoor sun terrace with good views. Col d l' Ancona. Food ok. Views great.
If you are going to Kronplatz summit you will go across San Vigilio on the TransBronta gondola and then up Miara gondola then Col Toron gondola and then ski down to the Costa chair. As you get off the top of the Costa chair, exit left and stay as high as you can going across the obvious piste and a track on the other side takes you to Ucia Bivacco (good food and good views).
Further on, down the Alpen piste there is a lunch spot in the middle of the piste (Huber Alm ??) just about level with a more obvious restaurant on the left side. Good food and views.
There are plenty to choose from. We tend to go for the ones NOT at the lift station but part way down on the basis that they have to try a little harder to attract custom whereas the ones at the summit have plenty of passing trade. Having said that, I also like the one at the bottom of Marchner, and also Oberegger Alm (but that piste down to Olang can get cut up later in the day especially later in the season when the snow is getting softer)
latest report
@cameronphillips2000, Re. Forcella Rossa, black run 51, the last time I skied it was three seasons ago. The first time was in 1990, then virtually every year from 1995 - 2016. Because I could see it from my hotel window, I never checked whether it had been omitted from the lift map!

With the closure of the lift serving Forcella Staunies on Cristallo, Cortina has lost a major highlight. I hope the rumoured replacement happens.
ski holidays
Quite apart from anything else, the areas outside ski areas are UNESCO protected, putting infrastructure through these areas would lose that protection, and there are enough lifts as it is what with global warming making the ski season inevitably more difficult every year... I really hope they don't want to do this, like wise I hope they don't get the new lift they want to build up Marmolada - it's an off piste paradise and should stay that way!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy