Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nassfeld

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just returned from a week's holiday in Nassfeld, and as it's so little known by the Brits I thought I'd post a quick review.

There was a party of 13 of us, mixed ability, staying from 24th Jan to 31st.

First off, the snow conditions were fantastic, among the most snow I've ever had. They weren't lying about the 3 metres at the top! Pics to follow.

Nassfeld isn't a resort for people who like massive mileage - for that you need the 3 Valleys/Milky Way/Paradiski etc. There are 110kms of piste, so you get to know it pretty well by the end of a week. However there's plenty of variation and nearly all of the runs are marked red. They vary in difficulty though so it's a great playground for intermediates of any standard.

It's not really a resort for beginners, there is really no variety of easy runs at all - although there were two beginners in our party and they got on ok. They pretty much did the same run all week! There isn't much in the way of blacks either, only two I think and they're both short. I didn't venture off piste so I can't report on that but what I could see was pretty tracked out.

The longest run is the 7.6k Carnia red run back to the bottom of the main gondola - and it quickly got the nickname 'carnage'. The top section is fairly steep and of course, being the main run back, 2nd-weekers are giving it a go and finding it a bit much. It also got VERY crowded from 3pm onwards. As the run is so long, after the top section the numbers thin out, but the last steep(ish) pitch to the bottom was always pretty busy. Most of the run is just a long cruise.

The main/only way up in the morning is the Millennium Express gondola. On some days there was a huge queue and on others it was quieter, even though we were always there between 9 and 9.30. It's a highly efficient people-mover though so the queue moves along fairly quickly. Once at the top, everyone dissipates and if you pick your runs carefully you can find some wonderfully quiet pistes.

The lift system in general is excellent (especially the 'warm up' heated chairlift!!). There is just one T-bar which is a pain because you HAVE to take it to get back to the top of the 80 Carnia run. I can't understand why they haven't put in a chair there.

Mountain restaurants are in good supply and prices are markedly cheaper than France. You can even go and eat just over the border in Italy, there's a very nice restaurant which does great pizza called the Apres Ski Kabrio (marked number 10 on the piste map). The piste map's great by the way, it lists all the restaurants on the back with pictures and details so you can choose.

Apres ski is actually a bit limited. We were in the Barenhutte every day which played a lot of crap Austrian music very loud! They play English stuff too though - and respond to requests! Some afternoons did involve a lot of singing/dancing and were a pretty good laugh!

Eveningwise there's even less choice. The Cube is about the best bet - the bar above is quite good and has a terrace with patio heaters for the smokers, so it's not smoky inside. Don't bother with the Alpina, it has no atmosphere.

On the last night (Friday) the Barenhutte was the watering hole of choice and it was packed! Was the best night of the week, apart from the snowman festival in Hermagor but that's another story.

As for accommodation, we were staying in the Pension Sonnetlein, which is in a small village called Jenig, about a 20 minute bus ride away. It's run by a very friendly and helpful British couple called Craig and Catherine. I can't recommend it enough. Not expensive, great food and the owners are fantastic hosts. The only slight downside is the morning walk to the bus stop, then the ride to the gondola station and the fact you need a taxi to go out at night.

All in all, I can't understand why Nassfeld's not been picked up by the Brits. There were a few about, but it seemed to be mostly Austrians, Germans and Danes in the resort. I'd say it's definitely worth a go, but stay as close to the gondola/Cube as you can. Or, go for the hotel we did, you'll definitely enjoy your stay there.

Here are the pics (sorry if they come out huge):

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 25-10-12 22:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Picadilly, great report. Was only looking at Nassfeld today after seeing something about the Cube.

It looks like there's a fair old treeline that you could board through - did you try any of it? Also, what was the transfer like? You can fly to Llujbiana if I'm told rightly - is that where you went to?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No, I wasn't insured for off piste - there was a group of Brit boarders in our hotel though and they were LOVING it. Saw a few people going though the trees but they were mostly on their backsides!

We flew from Stansted to Klagenfurt with Ryanair. That way means you get the best part of an extra day's skiing on the Saturday because you don't need to leave the resort until 5pm for the flight home. It was an hour and a half transfer and Klagenfurt is tiny so we whizzed through when we arrived.

The only downside to Ryanair is there's a 15kg weight limit for boots AND case which is a struggle. I ended up with half of my stuff in my ski bag!

Oh I meant to put mountain RESTAURANTS, not resorts!!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Picadilly wrote:
The lift system in general is excellent (especially the 'warm up' heated chairlift!!). There is just one T-bar which is a pain because you HAVE to take it to get back to the top of the 80 Carnia run. I can't understand why they haven't put in a chair there.

I just read in the local papers that seven million euros would be spent to replace that T-bar (I guess you mean No. 21 - Rudnig-Alm) with a chairlift next year.
Another good news, the Italian side has reserved a large sum to build another link between the two sides.
But everyone is sceptical about this lift which has been planned and discussed for over 10 years.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kerekip wrote:

I just read in the local papers that seven million euros would be spent to replace that T-bar (I guess you mean No. 21 - Rudnig-Alm) with a chairlift next year.

Well it'll certainly make a difference, I hate T-bars and we took that one a LOT Evil or Very Mad - and yes that is the one.

Quote:
Another good news, the Italian side has reserved a large sum to build another link between the two sides.
But everyone is sceptical about this lift which has been planned and discussed for over 10 years.

Yes there's definitely room for expansion. Some more life down in the village would be good as well, I have no idea where everyone disappears to at night.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nice report, I was thinking of going there this year
but happy to wait for them to replace this T-bar
it really put me off as it looked like it has to be used to get around the resort
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Great report. I have been thinking of going to nassfeld for awhile and now it is definately on the list. I have a couple of questions though.

1) Accommodation: Is Hermagor a good base? I don't mind being a little away from the lifts and I was thinking that they have more services etc. like a grocery store, cafes bars etc. How far is it to the lifts?

2) Skiing into Italy. You mentioned that you went to Italy for apres. Did you ski there or just drive over? What's it like on that side?

3) What part of the mountain is across the way in that first picture? It looks like some tasty off piste.
thanks!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tom W wrote:
Nice report, I was thinking of going there this year
but happy to wait for them to replace this T-bar it really put me off as it looked like it has to be used to get around the resort

It's not that bad, there are plenty of other runs and lifts, it's just a lift you have to take if you want to ski the long 80 run back to the bottom.

j wrote:
Great report. I have been thinking of going to nassfeld for awhile and now it is definately on the list. I have a couple of questions though.

1) Accommodation: Is Hermagor a good base? I don't mind being a little away from the lifts and I was thinking that they have more services etc. like a grocery store, cafes bars etc. How far is it to the lifts?

2) Skiing into Italy. You mentioned that you went to Italy for apres. Did you ski there or just drive over? What's it like on that side?

3) What part of the mountain is across the way in that first picture? It looks like some tasty off piste.
thanks!

OK to answer your questions..

1) I would think Hermagor would work as a base. It's about the same distance from the Millennium Express as we were in Jenig, so I'd guess a 15-min bus ride. Not walkable at night though, there are no pavements! The last buses go back at about 5.20pm-ish, after that it's taxis. We only went there once in the evening for a snowman festival, so I didn't see how big it was or what was there. It didn't seem far though. It's a fairly quiet area in general though with small villages so I'm not sure what there would be in the way of shops/bars in Hermagor. Most of the action is at the gondola base.

2) You can only ski a tiny way into Italy, literally just to a couple of restaurants. Yes there is apres there but I wouldn't risk it as a taxi back would be the only way and it would cost a fortune! We only went there for lunch. The frozen lake in the second pic is just near the Italian restaurants (there are 3 I think) and you just take a button lift to go back to the main ski area.

3) I'm pretty sure the lift you can see in the distance is the number 20 "warm up" chairlift which takes you up back to the top of the Millennium Gondola. There are two itineries that come down beneath it, one black and the other red/black. The photo was taken from near the top entrance to the Rudnigalm restaurant on the 70 red piste.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the reply, That place looks awesome. I'm definately going to there next year. If you have anymore pictures put em up.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have loads - will upload some more this weekend. I think you'll like it. I love skiing in Austria but next up is Ischgl for me.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
2019 update from our January trip. There's now no T-bar lift to get to the top of the Carnia lift. Zum Alois is another apres bar next to the Millenium lift station. The Cube is now the Franz Ferdinand. Nightlife was quiet but not as bad as expected. Barenhutte and bar Alpin open till two and Zum Alois didn't seem to shut, weekend was busier than mid week.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy