Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hahnenkamm Race weekend 2020

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Hopefully the right section of the forum.

Wondering if any has any experience going to the Hahnenkamm race weekend? With a baby on the way this year - no ski holiday booked and we've decided to postpone until next year!

Couple of questions- has anyone gone for the 2/3 day event alone? Will accomadation cost a fortune for that weekend? Is there any point in taking my planks for a wee half day on the slopes? We are going to watch the racing/ enjoy the atmosphere rather than a ski weekend. Ticket prices look cheap enough- presuming we'll be going an drinking lots of beers and shaking cow bells for the 2 days.

Any ideas on travel- likely be 4 of us flying from Scotland. We have been before- but it was a package deal so transfers were included. I remember there being a train station in the town? Or might be easier hiring a car?

Cheers,
Dave Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There is a train station, accomadation costs might be lower, in another town on the train line
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BlueBird13 wrote:
Hi all,

Hopefully the right section of the forum.

Wondering if any has any experience going to the Hahnenkamm race weekend? With a baby on the way this year - no ski holiday booked and we've decided to postpone until next year!

Couple of questions- has anyone gone for the 2/3 day event alone? Will accomadation cost a fortune for that weekend? Is there any point in taking my planks for a wee half day on the slopes? We are going to watch the racing/ enjoy the atmosphere rather than a ski weekend. Ticket prices look cheap enough- presuming we'll be going an drinking lots of beers and shaking cow bells for the 2 days.

Any ideas on travel- likely be 4 of us flying from Scotland. We have been before- but it was a package deal so transfers were included. I remember there being a train station in the town? Or might be easier hiring a car?

Cheers,
Dave Very Happy

Unless you drive south to fly or transfer in London your flight options are limited. I would use the Easyjet flight from Edinburgh to Munich and then take the S-Bahn from the Airport to the Ostbahnhof then get the train south from there to Wörgl. You then change on to the east-west Austria line there then you are on the line that goes through Kitzbühel and you can either book in there if the budget allows or into the villages such as Brixen, Kirchberg, St Johann, Fieberbrunn etc that are only minutes away on the same railway line. I would definitely not plan to use a car to attend the races, you won't get a car into Kitzbühel itself uniess you are booked into accomodation there.

The race weekend normally comprises the Super G on Friday, Downhill on Saturday and Slalom on Sunday. If you are meaning to take in all three then you would need to arrive on the Thursday and depart again the following Monday as you wouldn't get there on time before the SG on the Friday nor could you get back in time for the Edinburgh flight after the 2nd run of the slalom on the Sunday. If you want to have a chance to get close to the racers without buying anything more than the basic ticket then the Super G is your best bet. If the budget allows then buy a VIP area or even grandstand seat and have a chat with Arnie

Accommodation will be cheaper further out, google the prices in the places I mentioned above and see what meets your budget. I wouldn't take your own kit, would be much cheaper to hire for a day if you feel the need.

Also you won't be shaking cow bells unless you're supporting the Swiss wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Flight schedules might not be the same for 2020 as they are now. If you can extend the trip to include the following Tues night - Schladming night race! Each time I've gone I booked accommodation a year ahead in Kitzbuhel (with parking), rented a car at Munich airport. Worked fine. Didn't have a baby on board though!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@BlueBird13, @davidthornton makes a good point about flight times although that Easyjet flight to Munich has been running for about 12 years at pretty much the same times. Sometimes it has been dropped on Saturdays in winter but that won't affect you.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We’re out in the area now and are going to go to the race next week. I’ll let you know how I get on!

So far I can recommend the Hotel Zentral in Kirchberg and Andis Taxi shared transfers from Salzburg.

We intend to go to the super G on skis and the downhill on foot, taking the train or the bus from Kirchberg to Kitzbühel.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The trains are free from Kirchberg on race day, there and back
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Maireadoconnor, a good view point is from the Hausberg jump, and you get a great view of the finish area below. If an Austrian gets a green light a wall of noise from the crowds below blasts up the mountain. Fingers crossed for clear weather. Enjoy!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We went about five years ago and stayed in a b&b type hotel in the village or St Johan in Tyrol down valley. There were regular complimentary trains running during the weekend including late at night and journey no more than 20 mins. We kept our skis in the lockers by the main gondola in Kitzbühel to easy the load. Also kept a change of clothes on race day for Apres party at the Londoner after the main race. Tip is to go to the Londoner bar early morning before the race to get an admission stamp. We watched the downhill and 2nd slalom run and bought tickets onsite.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Flying in from Canada arriving Thursday AM. As @Maireadoconnor we'll ski Friday and on foot Saturday. Staying in St. Johann. Tks @davidthornton for viewing advice.

Also, @Ozboy : what time did you show up in the morning at Londoner for stamp?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just another question on ticket types- is there any whee that shows the breakdown of the different types?

There’s huge range of prices but I can’t work out where we can stand etc.

Really we are hoping to be somewhere around the bottom to enjoy a beer or two and take in the atmosphere
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@BlueBird13, Are you talking about tickets for the Hahnenkamn downhill or the slalom or Schladming? Hahnenkamn tickets are available as a three day package (Fri super G, Sat downhill, Sun slalom), as are individual day tickets, from the tourist office prior to the weekend. Schladming tickets will probably be now on sale, the best viewing areas get sold quickly. For Schladming buy now. For Kitzbuhel, unless in the grandstand, you can wait. Bear in mind that weather can affect the super G and downhill schedules dramatically, not so much the slalom, though last year, if I remember, the slalom was switched to Sat so that they could run the downhill on Sunday because Saturday's adverse weather was predicted to clear for the Sunday, but that was very rare. The Super G and downhill get frequently get swopped around or shortened. As for Schladming never known that to be weather affected.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi, for last year's downhill 2019, they rescheduled rescheduled the race for Friday. We arrived by train at 9am from St.Johan, bought our 29 EUR wristband on site and got almost first at the bottom. We positioned ourselves on the fence between the arrival and the VIP section with a view of the slope and the giant screen. At that time, skiers were inspecting. Bear in mind that you watch most of the DH on the screen until the skier gets in view. Beer and snacks are available everywhere. It's the best organized major event I've seen in my life.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidthornton wrote:
@BlueBird13, As for Schladming never known that to be weather affected.

I'd agree and I'm almost disappointed if it's not blowing a blizzard!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Strangely Hahnenkamm weekend is actually a good time to ski in Kitzbühel. Yes the pistes around the race route are closed but that is only a small part of the area. The rest of the area is pretty quiet most folk will be watching the race.
snow report
munich_irish wrote:
Strangely Hahnenkamm weekend is actually a good time to ski in Kitzbühel. Yes the pistes around the race route are closed but that is only a small part of the area. The rest of the area is pretty quiet most folk will be watching the race.

Yes, but getting accommodation is not easy around race weekend.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy