Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Touring in Grand Tourmalet

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
In a couple of weeks I'm off to the Grand Tourmalet resort and I'm hoping to get out for a few days on my touring skis, to start out I will probably head up the marked out route set within the resort, but I think this will get boring pretty quickly so I'm looking for a few easier routes. A couple of my friends have also shown an interest, every one of us have had a couple of weeks worth of alpine mountaineering experience and we are all regular rock climbers, however one of us is not the most comfortable skier, he will usually be found at the back of the group snowploughing down a red piste, so Ideally we are looking for stuff that he will be able to cope with as well.

Do any of you Guys & Girls know of any easy routes in the area?

I've heard that there are a few long-ish Cross country ski routes set out that feature a fair amount of climbs & some moderately easy descents, which might be suitable, what is the etiquette of skiing on XC routes, are users of alpine touring skis welcome on these routes or are they strictly for Skinny Nordic skis only?

The rest of us are fairly accomplished skiers, black runs can be a challenge but we always get down them in control, we always manage to find a few "side country" runs where ever we go and love skiing in powder, we have also had a couple of off piste days such as Pic De Bure / Combe Gratin at Super Devoluy.

At present none of us have any avvy gear but I have told everyone that we must hire the kit before we do anything away from the marked out areas.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Deejayry wrote:
what is the etiquette of skiing on XC routes, are users of alpine touring skis welcome on these routes or are they strictly for Skinny Nordic skis only?

No dogs, no ski tourers !

You might be best contacting one of the local ski instructors that does touring. The lac d'Oncet would not be too difficult. Start from the Super Bareges car park and follow the summer path not the road to the observatory. The only avalanche prone section is after the Toue

You can skin up to the Aygues-Cluses refuge (it is pretty flat). You can push further up this valley say to the col de Bareges or south to the Col de Tracens. The start of the valley to the Cabane de pegue is steep sided, take care on risk 3 or above days. You can rejoin la Mongie via the pas de la Crabe (or vice versa) but this is much steeper.

From la Mongie the Glere valley is not too steep to climb but again the sides are avalanche prone.

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Pyrenees/Bareges-La-Mongie-Off-Piste-Map

Lac d'Oncet

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davidof wrote:
The lac d'Oncet would not be too difficult. Start from the Super Bareges car park and follow the summer path not the road to the observatory. The only avalanche prone section is after the Toue

Do you mean the carpark to the west, near Tournaboup? looking at google earth there is pretty much nothing but a couple of lift stations at Super Bareges, i think one of them is the Toue Lift.

davidof wrote:
You can skin up to the Aygues-Cluses refuge (it is pretty flat). You can push further up this valley say to the col de Bareges or south to the Col de Tracens. The start of the valley to the Cabane de pegue is steep sided, take care on risk 3 or above days. You can rejoin la Mongie via the pas de la Crabe (or vice versa) but this is much steeper.

do you know if it is possible to continue up the valley past Lac d'Agalops and the two smaller lakes to the east, then take a line roughly to the North or North West over the ridge and drop down to the top of the Quatre Termes lift?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy