Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saas Fee 2018-19

Poster: A snowHead
I might as well kick it off:

I am here for a week of training with PDS Academy (visiting from the Porte de Soleil!)

A group of ten with two coaches.
Everybody else is a ski instructor, mostly ISIA, a couple of 2's.
I am a BASI zero...but that is no concern at all.

Snow is mid-winter packed powder/fresh powder.
Beautiful snow!

Flippin cold!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hopefully it stays cold, it was way too warm in mid January last season.

My favourite video clip from Saas-Fee this season is the bombing of the snow off the Allalin, it must have been spectacular in person Cool :

https://www.facebook.com/643455402385521/posts/2110771348987245/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sunny today...but still flippin cold!

Snow is utterly perfect, and there is a LOT of it.

The Morena chair is running, as are the T bars at the very top and the necessary access telecabines.

The snow cannons are hard at it lower down and I would expect that skiing all the way to town will be open from this weekend.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Read yesterday: same today Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Saas-Fee website is reporting temperatures around -3C, which isn’t cold by any standards. I’ve experienced -27C at the Metro, what temperature are they reporting?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PowderAdict wrote:
The Saas-Fee website is reporting temperatures around -3C, which isn’t cold by any standards. I’ve experienced -27C at the Metro, what temperature are they reporting?

The temperature quoted is in town - much colder higher up, I suppose!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In fairness it was not quite as cold today...but up the top, where we spent the whole day lapping gates, it was still pretty cold.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Today was, for me, an exceptional day.
Sunny, a lovely cloud layer down in the valleys...made for fantastic views.
Snow still top notch.
The forecast said it would not be so cold, and in town it was really quite OK first thing....but up high (3,500 meters or so) it was bloomin freezing!
The very top at Saas Fee is in shade all the time, add a stiff wind...ouch!

Still...ski hard in the gates and you soon warm up Very Happy

Tomorrow is my last day.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the reports! keep it up!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What's the latest in Saas-Fee? How is snow depth compared to last year? What's it like the week of half-term?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
65cm forecast wed to Sat this week,(snow forecast automated estimates therefore salt available)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I’ve been in Saas-Fee since the 19th Jan, and there has been no snow of consequence in that time.

The pistes are generally in excellent condition due to 2 days of early season rainfall which sealed the base, and also the cold (normal) temperatures which has often been in the -10 to -15C range.

The off piste is pretty much non-existent at the moment, but as mentioned the base is there waiting for the next snow fall.

The resort is pretty quiet at the moment, which is the reason I visit at this time of year, but the holidays can get pretty manic on the slope. Saas-Fee always has snow, so it can get very busy if other lower resorts are suffering poor conditions.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the reports. I've noticed it's been cold. Is the sledding from Hannig open?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Also, I'm looking to do a day trip to Zermatt this year. Flexible on the day, between 17.02-20.02. I would love to connect with someone who is interested in making the trip.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
After the cold period when daytime temperatures were in the -18 to -20C range, some wind was added at the top station taking the windchill down to -35C. On a couple of days the top station was closed to skiers/boarders due to the cold, and on other days it was open, but the top lifts were closed so you had to ski down immediately.

There is now some light snow (1st Feb), the first in more than 2 weeks, with maybe 20cm forecast but visibility is poor down to the mid stations.
latest report
Very pleased to hear it's snowing (it looks very wintry on the webccams - bit like the current view from my office window!).

It's sometime since I skied in Saas Fee but returning later this season with a group of mixed abilities. I recall there was a red then short black beneath Spielboden heading down towards the village. Can you download on the Langfluhbahn from the building next to the mountain restaurant? Any help would be appreciated; thanks.
snow report
@LOTA, You can download on all the cable cars/cabins in Saas-Fee. The Spielboden lift was replaced last season and is now much faster and less jerky/noisy than before (the old orange cabin that was there for 30+ years).

The Langfluh chair lift was also replaced and in now a faster quad chair with easy loading, and the piste was considerably widened due to some careful rock blasting. Unfortunately due to global warming the red glacier piste on Landfluh is no more and has become an unofficial off piste area.

There is a newish 6 seat chair on the Felskinn side that gives access to both blue and red runs, which would suit a mix group well, as both can do laps and meet at the same spots.
latest report
Thank you, that's helpful. Is the top station of the Langfluhbahn in the building alongside the restaurant?
latest report
Yes, as you exit the Langfluhbahn cable car you go up about 8 steps and the restaurant is on the right. That gives access to the chairlift piste, and there is then a black run (approaching 1:1) back down to the Spielboden restaurant and the base station of the Langfluhbahn, and the top station of the Spielboden cabin.
snow report
Excellent, that's what I was after. Me down the black, one or two of the others downloading! Very Happy

The blue piste, served by the draglift is, if I recall correctly one of the easiest and tranquil runs anywhere!
snow report
Correct the very long T-Bar from Langfulh is the Panoramalift which gives access to the blue Feechatz-Piste (and the Metro via other lifts). It's great for beginners and those who want some gentle carving practice. But if there is new snow or a head wind you often have to tuck to reach the bottom of the lift without excessive pole action, or walking if you are a boarder.

One word of warning, if it is cold (below -10C) and windy, don't put any beginners on that lift as 10mins on a T-Bar with wind chill will put them off skiing for life Crying or Very sad
latest report
@PowderAdict, noted and thanks. I remember it was a long old drag, in all senses of the word!

We're going in March so hopefully will not get quite that cold. You can never be certain, of course, when it comes to the weather!
latest report
Hello all! What is your go to resource for snow and weather conditions in Saas-Fee? In the US it is typical to see recent snowfall amounts (last 24hr, 72hrs etc) and a season to date number. I know that's not the convention in Europe, but Saas-Fee is pretty quiet on social and I find this pretty useless:
https://www.saas-fee.ch/en/mountains/mountain-conditions/weather/
snow conditions
What's the easiest way to pick up your Winter Card? Do I need to send them a picture in advance?
ski holidays
I'm just back from Saas-Fee and during my time there the Met Office App (iPhone at least) was much more accurate than any other forecast I looked at. The snow-forecast.com website gave the best temperature profile across the mountain, but as usual was wildly optimistic and inaccurate with regards to snow fall.

The ticket offices have digital cameras that they use to take your picture for any ticket over 3 days duration.
snow report
This is a really lively thread rolling eyes We're just back from Saas-Fee, not a cloud in the sky all week and not as warm as feared, although the lack of snow and temps are beginning to take their toll. Nowhere near the snow coverage of last year, but still very good conditions. Never made it to Zermatt. I heard a rumor that the Hannig lift will be decommissioned after this season. Does anyone have info on this?
snow report
Is the hannig lift not a total waste of time for skiers? For walking only? This is what I was told. We are there from the 5th so hoping for the forecast snow this weekend onwards. We are then moving to Zermatt. Fortunately for us we are primarily piste skiers, so we are hoping these will at least have been maintained well. Any snow will then at least make things look a bit more wintery.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 26-02-19 12:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
When I first started going to Saas-Fee in 1987 Hannig was a ski hill with button lifts and the main cable car. The scale of the then standard annual snow is given by the avalanche fences above the Hannig area, these are sadly untroubled these days.

All lifts and cable cars are inspected and given 25-30 year licenses on construction, some are then given extensions as the result of upgrades, but many are replaced when the license expires at a cost of tens of millions.

I wouldn’t be surprised that the Hannig lift was to be closed, as it is for walkers only, and Saas-Fee is currently short of money due to the ill thought out Winter Lift Pass deals that were far too cheap. I bought the 3 year season pass for the same price as a 12 day regular lift ticket.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There is sledding as well. Which was open at the beginning of the week, but closed by the 23rd due to lack of snow. The rumor was there is a private equity firm that's become involved and has pushed for the closure. The folks operating the restaurant up there will not be pleased. @twoodwar, I think you'll be fine. It looks like a return to winter next week.
snow conditions
I too recall the Hannig as a ski hill in the 1980s, but was told by instructors and hoteliers etc that it was barely used by skiers - no links or connection of any sort with the rest of the ski area.

Looking forward to arriving on March 17 and encouraged by the forecasts of snow (they can be over-optimistic), especially as I'm going to take advantage of my 'ill thought-out' season lift pass with another few days in April!
snow report
snowing nicely on the Mountain.
ski holidays
Webcam looked nice and gray a while ago and forecast calls for a good dump on Wednesday night. Fingers crossed.
ski holidays
Snow last night, but light in town. Blasting this morning indicates decent quantities up above. It is warm in the day, but piste conditions are holding up very well, right into town
ski holidays
Day trip from Verbier.

Lovely sunny day, superb piste conditions all over the mountain.

Off piste not so good...too much sun and wind.
latest report
Just back from a great week in Saas Fee. A little windy followed by new snow last Sunday night but otherwise gorgeous blue skies and lovely on-piste conditions for the rest of the week. Not too many people about and queues were non-existant. Looking forward to a return trip in April if the snow holds. Cool
ski holidays
It was dumping full throttle today at the top of Saas Fee. Super light knee+ deep pow - the best quality snow we've sampled all season. In nearly May. Wow.

Visibility was next to nothing but it'll be fantastic up there on Monday/Tuesday when the sun comes out.

Er, what's that you say? Closed for the season now, with 4m+ on the glacier and a ton of fresh?

Bollox Sad
snow conditions
It was a strange old time in Saas Fee last week. Fine on Monday (strangely quiet on the mountain) then mostly windy, blizzards above 2,400m, a fair bit of rain below on Tuesday and Wednesday before the storm set in. Ski patrol ordered everyone off the mountain around 1.15 on Wednesday afternoon - visibility was diabolical at that time! Lifts closed on Thursday so cut my losses and changed to an earlier flight. Good decision as everything closed again on Friday. A bit frustrating, all told, but did get some great, fresh snow skiing in on three days. Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy