Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Double Ski Bags with Inghams?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Has anyone else come across the Inghams ban on double ski bags? I have travelled with a double sportube, without problem for years. This year I booked an Inghams holiday through Iglu and advised them that I would be using a double bag. The flights are with Austrian Airlines. I was told this would not be a problem, the paperwork has recently arrived from Inghams and states that double ski bags are not allowed. This was not a problem with the same company and airline last year so I suspect it is an Inghams policy designed to extract two lots of ski carriage charges - which is a it of a nonsense as the offered a two for one deal on ski carriage! So far, Iglu have not sorted the problem and I really have no alternative to the double sportube so I was wondering if anyone else had experienced the same problem, and if so, how it was resolved?

Has anyone else travelled on an Inghams charter with Austrian Airlines with a double ski bag this year?

Thanks for any advice

Fleke
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Won't really help here but I've taken to booking my double ski bag as a snowboard bag to avoid similar heartache...its only 175 long so does look a bit like a coffin board bag...carriage charge was same as 1 x ski bag.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Checked in with Austrian/Inghams couple of days ago. I have a big bag which I use for both skis and a board.

I did notice they slightly pointedly asked if it was a board. From their tone I had feeling if I’d said skis they may have enquired further.

Incidentally the bag was 1kg overweight but they didn’t complain about that.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you for the responses.
Kerb, what weight were you working to? Inghams are telling me 15 KG, Austrian 32KG !
Cheers
Fleke
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It was 16kg - maybe why they didn’t comment
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've argued this point with both Inghams and Austrian airlines (who incidentally allow free ski carriage- so who's getting my £40?)

Anyway, the jist of the result of my conversations with Inghams was that a double ski bag would be fine, but they're cracking down on multiple pairs of skis in one bag - one pair only per paid carriage fee.

I have a note of the conversation just in case there's a hassle at the airport.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you are going from Edinburgh the baggage handlers will probably leave them behind anyway Evil or Very Mad
Ours got to us via Stuttgart Vienna and Innsbruck a couple of weeks ago
Not the end of the world
Inghams sorted us out with hire ones till they arrived
They managed to be loaded onto the return flight without problem rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I took a 15Kg double ski bag with Inghams/Austrian Airlines in Dec.
My paperwork stated "Doube ski bags are not permitted", but there were no problems checking in at either Manchester or Innsbruck.
Good luck Smile.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We flew with Austrian Airlines Dec 2018-Jan 2019 with double ski bag. No questions. No problem.
Inghams not involved.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The only thing I will say to anyone who is double packing skis or even more, if they get lost you can only claim on the insurance for the skis that you declared and paid for.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Saturday 23 March 2019

Flew from Bristol to Innsbruck, Austria this morning on an Inghams package to Cortina.

Flew Austrian on a scheduled flight.

Check-in was with Austrian, no Inghams presence (as I expected).

I booked one ski carriage for £40 supplement intending to put two sets of skis and poles in the one bag.

We booked the holiday on Thursday night and when the documents arrived by email it specifically said 'one set per bag'.

Went online yesterday to purchase a second ski carriage but because so close to departure I couldn't.

Chanced our arm this morning.

Two sets of skis & poles and clothing in a narrow wheeled ski bag
Bang on 15kg.

Rest of our stuff in a hold-all, weight 16kg.

No dramas, no questions at check-in.

A rip-off on Inghams behalf.

Pay £40 extra and get 5kg less luggage allowance.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Moaniesmum wrote:
The only thing I will say to anyone who is double packing skis or even more, if they get lost you can only claim on the insurance for the skis that you declared and paid for.

On the airline insurance....surely you can claim for anything else on your own travel insurance?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Insurance company will look for any reason not to settle a claim. If baggage is lost or delayed airline could claim this was because it was not inline with its baggage policy. Insurance company will then use this as justification to limit its exposure to match airline policy. Same goes for packing clothes in with skis. Found this out the hard way.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think that's the crux.

This is a cowdoo Inghams policy not an airline policy.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank you for all of your responses.

In the end we travelled with double bags (actually a double hard sided ski tube) with no problem at all. The Austrian check in staff could not have been more helpful.
It is very apparent that this is an Inghams policy designed to extract more money from the booking.

For once, I was happy to complete their feed back form and told them I will not book with them again unless this policy changes. More should do the same, this forum has a lot of influence.
snow report
We are going this Sunday with Ski Total (part of the Inghams / Esprit group).

The paperwork says no double bags. We have paid for two ski carriages.

I have already packed my Dakine Fall Line double with two pairs of skis / poles and some clothes to be bang on 20 kg weight limit.

I also have a boot bag (which the paperwork says is allowed as part of the carriage)

I am just going to turn up and say nothing...and if they ask , say one pair of skis in it... Not sure what else I can do.

My point to them will be I have paid to bring two ski bags stuffed with 20 kilos of gear each but I have only one - I am saving them 20 kilos...!!
snow report
We took a double ski bag with Ski Total on Titan Airways to Chambery in Feb. and the same bag with Inghams on BA to Turin in March no problem with either. Although our ski bag did fail to make flight with BA
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy