Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice needed - Best route from Val D'Isere to Chamonix

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Y'all. I need to drive from Val D'Isere to Cham either tomorrow Friday or Saturday morming. Apparent route is via Bourg - Moutier - Albertville - Ugine - Flumet - Megeve - St Gervais - Cham. I am worried that this is a twisted slow road, esp if weather is bad. Is anyone familar with this route or an alternative. One alternative is through Annecy and up to Bonneville.

There even seems to be a shortcut from Seez to Flumet whuch would save me a lot of traffic but I guess this must be an awful road.

Any advice. What would be the easiest drive. Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maybe wrong, but thought that road across to Flumet was closed during winter season.

Your first route is logical and ok, shouldn't give you problems in the week days. Unless particularly heavy snowfall changes things.

Via Annecy to Bonneville also ok and maybe slightly quicker timewise.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just saw the Saturday bit, best to be through Bourg by about 7:30am to avoid onward delay I feel.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
First route is the shortest route if open the gorges above Ugine can be shut from rock falls .
The comet d’roseland pass is shut in the winter
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Forecast a metre of snow ish between now and tomorrow around 1,500ish in Cham, make sure you are prepared if the forecast is out a degree or so ...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hey Guys. Thanks for quick reply. May drive to Albertville and make the decison on Megeve route dependant on weather.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AndyT wrote:
Hi Y'all. I need to drive from Val D'Isere to Cham either tomorrow Friday or Saturday morming. Apparent route is via Bourg - Moutier - Albertville - Ugine - Flumet - Megeve - St Gervais - Cham.

You can't go via Ugine - Flumet, the road is blocked due to rockfall. You can go via les Saisies but it risks being snow covered or Serraval / Thones but again watch the snow.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You have to drive via Chambery - Annecy. All higway, +- 2h50 on a normal day.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks Guys. davidof, if Ugine - Flumet is blocked then I guess i have to go via Annecy. PieterG, you suggest going via Chambery, that is much further than Albertville - Annecy with tolls. Is it a much better faster road, is it easier.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If the road is clear then take the Beaufort signs out of Albertville via Villard sur Doron (not Ugine). Then Les Saisies - Praz sur Arly - Megeve. That will be slow but should be OK (and a very interesting drive). If snowy, the longer way round might be preferable, especially if you don't have winter tyres as you'd probably need chains (especially on a Saturday). The road up to Saisies from near Beaufort is not too steep, and will be cleared, but loads of bends.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ever hear of maps?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AndyT wrote:
Thanks Guys. davidof, if Ugine - Flumet is blocked then I guess i have to go via Annecy. PieterG, you suggest going via Chambery, that is much further than Albertville - Annecy with tolls. Is it a much better faster road, is it easier.

Or try Pam's route via les Saisies.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Ever hear of maps?

I'm a big fan of maps - but a map wouldn't show that the Cormet de Roselend is closed - as it always is in winter - or that the Gorge d'Arly is closed as it often is because of rockfalls - in any season. Asking for local knowledge is a good idea!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@davidof, http://www.savoie-route.fr/ shows that the D109 is an alternative to the closed section of the D1212 (Gorges de l'Arly).

So, are you SURE Ugine->Flumet is blocked?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hmm. One time I drove that route we were signposted onto a deviation which took part of that route. It's tortuous - at one point we had to drive through a tiny village which was full of people following a funeral cortege. At a kind of slow shuffle - and our initial attempts to indicate politely that we'd like to get through didn't go down well. It took forever. If the whole of that route is the only alternative to the road at the bottom of the gorge I think I'd go a different way - probably Albertville - Queige - Les Saisies.
snow report
The Ugine bypass is definitely open, I drove it the other day. It only adds about 15 minutes to the usual val d'arly route (unless you get stuck behind a funeral....). It's well signposted and easy to follow and still quicker than going on the motorway via Annecy.

The normal val d'arly route is staying closed until 2020 as they undertake major works to protect it from the rockfalls that frequently close it.
latest report
@Meltus, hmmm. Maybe it's meant to be one of those alternative route/shortcuts that's best kept quiet about or it'll turn into a long tailback? wink
snow conditions
.....not really? It's a heavily signposted diversion from the main/normal route and anyone with access to google maps will go that way.
latest report
The D109 route was open and well signposted on Friday.
snow conditions
crosbie wrote:
@davidof, http://www.savoie-route.fr/ shows that the D109 is an alternative to the closed section of the D1212 (Gorges de l'Arly).

So, are you SURE Ugine->Flumet is blocked?

it depends what kind of vehicle you have, I suppose

as posted above, they are building a long tunnel around this section to open 2020, 2021 time
latest report
@davidof, The bottom bit of the D1212 is closed but it is fine to get from Ugine to Flumet using the D109.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy