Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val d'Isere vs Chamonix March 23rd Off piste - which one?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After stating a few weeks back that I'm not a fan of Spring skiing I'm thinking of heading out in a few weeks time as winter looks to be back! And I really want to ski!

I have the option of either an Off Piste course at Argentiere/Cham (High Mountain) or Val D' and I cant really decide between the two. My initial preference is swaying to Val D' but I have always wanted to ski Chamonix. With the top lift at Grand Montets being out of action I'm thinking that it would really limit the access and that all the good skiing would basically be off the Aiguille du midi...could be wrong here! Also thinking Val D' would be less faff with buses etc. All important in the end is the skiing though.

Anyone been to both at that time of year and can provide any insight??

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
"With the top lift at Grand Montets being out of action I'm thinking that it would really limit the access and that all the good skiing would basically be off the Aiguille du midi"

Absolutely no way, there is so so much more than just top bin at GM. Some of the best freeride terrain in europe is at GM from the Bochard and Herse lifts. Le Tour, Brevent also all have fantastic off piste. The forecast is also dumping for the foreseeable future. I live in Cham and am salivating at the late March powder skiing we've got coming. I'm sure VDI would also be good but can't comment on that myself.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've been to both many times. With the top lift out of action, Val D'Isere would be my choice by a margin actually. Enjoy!!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chamonix is a bit like the Margate of the Alps at the end of the season.

Go to Val d'Isere, it will still be a winter wonderland.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd go to Val d I'isere for the course to learn/improve - many more options/ aspects for different conditions. Then a separate trip to Chamonix when the GM top lift is back in operation to practice what you have learned. With the top lift is out I think over-crowding may be worse.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd go to Val d I'isere for the course to learn/improve - many more options/ aspects for different conditions. Then a separate trip to Chamonix when the GM top lift is back in operation to practice what you have learned. With the top lift is out I think over-crowding may be worse.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@On the rocks, I haven't been up GMs this year yet but what I am hearing is that it's super quiet (down 15% per a pisteur chum) as the received belief is that everything's closed. When it isn't. Sheeple.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy