Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chavlier or Chamonix first 10 days in march

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

We are looking to go to the snow. I'm an advance snowboarder, I like offpiste and park.
My wife is a good skier but doesn't like skiing so much, she will prob do 1-3 days.
I found a kindergarden in both places for our 1.8 year old son.

However I'm not sure if it's better for us to go to Chamonix or Serre Chavlier?
in Chamonix we have to stay in Houches as that is where the kindergarden is.

How would you compare to the two?
Which would you choose for first 10 days or so in March?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've done a week in SC and a week and w/e in Cham but both before parks really became a thing. Mind you most decent size resorts have a park these days.

First obvious thing is that Cham is a group of ski areas that are not interlinked so you have to bus/car it around to the different areas. And if you need to meet up with the wife or get back because say the child is unwell this could be a royal pain.

Another factor is what your wife wants to do if not skiing. I don't recall much going on in Serre.

Personally I wouldn't choose either. I'd probably go to ADH.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There's plenty to do in Serre Chevalier if you aren't skiing. Thermal baths in Monetier, Vauban fortified old town in Briancon, a huge market on Wednesdays, and lots of pedestrian accessible mountain restaurants to join up with you for lunch Plenty of walks along the valley too and guided snowshoe walks. For you, there is loads of lift accessible off-piste and a couple of snow parks. We have lots of families with young ones staying at our apartment in Le Monetier-les-Bains, and can recommend the creche there.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Layne wrote:
I've done a week in SC and a week and w/e in Cham but both before parks really became a thing. Mind you most decent size resorts have a park these days.

First obvious thing is that Cham is a group of ski areas that are not interlinked so you have to bus/car it around to the different areas. And if you need to meet up with the wife or get back because say the child is unwell this could be a royal pain.

Another factor is what your wife wants to do if not skiing. I don't recall much going on in Serre.

Personally I wouldn't choose either. I'd probably go to ADH.

ADH?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hells Bells wrote:
There's plenty to do in Serre Chevalier if you aren't skiing. Thermal baths in Monetier, Vauban fortified old town in Briancon, a huge market on Wednesdays, and lots of pedestrian accessible mountain restaurants to join up with you for lunch Plenty of walks along the valley too and guided snowshoe walks. For you, there is loads of lift accessible off-piste and a couple of snow parks. We have lots of families with young ones staying at our apartment in Le Monetier-les-Bains, and can recommend the creche there.

Thank you! I read about the creche, and called, sadly the monetier one doesn't really speak english...:/
Is there more than one ?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
doryz wrote:
Layne wrote:
...….I'd probably go to ADH...…..

ADH?

Alpe D'Huez
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@doryz, there's one in Chantemerle and Villeneuve too. I am surprised the creche doesn't speak some English, as I've had English guests stay there, and have spoken myself to some of the staff. I'm told Villeneuve Petits Loups is best for English speakers.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hells Bells wrote:
@doryz, there's one in Chantemerle and Villeneuve too. I am surprised the creche doesn't speak some English, as I've had English guests stay there, and have spoken myself to some of the staff. I'm told Villeneuve Petits Loups is best for English speakers.

oh ok. Petits Loups is the one in Chantemerle or Villeneuve?
Chantemerle seem to have very good english overall over the phone, but it's really hard to decide.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
First week of March is still French school holidays. Second week will be much quieter.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
First week of March is still French school holidays. Second week will be much quieter.

Thanks you Pam,

1) I understand that too, but I also hear that much more chance of offpiste group during french holiday then following week.
2) How bad / busy are the sloaps during this region holiday ?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
doryz wrote:
pam w wrote:

Thanks you Pam,

1) I understand that too, but I also hear that much more chance of offpiste group during french holiday then following week.
2) How bad / busy are the sloaps during this region holiday ?

it looks like zone A, is that not too bad?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
does anyone actualy offer "ad hoc" off piste groups?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
does anyone actualy offer "ad hoc" off piste groups?

Seems that do yes with a guide..
I think that's not bad, going alone with a guide is expensive, and if you get barried only one person looking for you :/
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

it looks like zone A, is that not too bad?

Zone A isn't as bad as Zone C (Paris) but accommodation costs will drop sharply between the first and second weeks of March. I have no idea about "ad hoc" off piste groups - I imagine (hope) there'd be some attempt to weed out people with little or no idea (such as me.....).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hells Bells wrote:

Hello, what makes it best for English speakers? do you know?
Do you have the contact detilas ofr Petits Loups? I could not find it on the serre chavlier website..
snow report
@doryz, it has been recommended by other English speakers, and by my accommodation manager. (Sorry P'tits Loups).
tel 04 92 49 00 86
email micro-creche@neuf.fr
It is quite small though I think.
latest report
Hells Bells wrote:
@doryz, it has been recommended by other English speakers, and by my accommodation manager. (Sorry P'tits Loups).
tel 04 92 49 00 86
email micro-creche@neuf.fr
It is quite small though I think.

Thanks, is the one in chantelmere good as well from what you know?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy