Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glisshop skis - brakes too small - RESOLVED

Poster: A snowHead
So I just ordered skis and board for my kids for half term. Initially Glisshop were great - really good advice on chat and on the phone regarding picking sizing etc. Delivery was also good.

However the skis have arrived, and the brakes are too narrow for the skis so they are catching the edges.
http://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/51623596_10161302598110099_5204170512028139520_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=6c9f938ffd26be060a51c6b6d139a4ce&oe=5CE7896C

Although Glisshop sold them as a set - Fischer Stunner SLR 131 and Fischer FJ4 bindings, I've since looked at the specs. The width of the brakes on the FJ4 bindings are 74mm, however the narrowest point of the skis is 76mm. Hence the problem.

Glisshop are fobbing me off telling me they are a set from Fischer and they are "perfectly compatible" and they are very surprised that "they've never had this problem before". I've said I don't give a stuff how many you've sold before, the pair you sold me have brakes that are too small as the photo and indeed the specifications show. But right now they are not offering a solution other than "they are compatible, try and bend it".

I've tried removing the brakes from the binding to try and bend them, but they just spring back. The problem is they are small, so there's no room to get any decent size tool into the gap between where the brake comes out of the binding and the right angle which needs bending by a degree or two. I can just about get a slim pair of long nose pliers in there but they don't give enough grip or force to be able to bend the angle.

Any ideas ?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 5-03-19 12:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
email fischer for their opinion?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Gazzza, If you need to bend the brakes a degree or two (not that uncommon), its best to remove the brake, normally 2 screws and place them in a vice. Use a bit of pipe over the brake and bed by hand.

At least that worked for me...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You bought by mail order. Surely the distance-selling regulations allow you to send them back and get a refund.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mr.Egg wrote:
email fischer for their opinion?

This would seem the tidiest option, they’re likely to tell you that they aren’t compatible, at which point Glisshop haven’t really got much of an argument.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So I can easily remove the brake from the binding, it's actually just two snap clips so doesn't need screws. As you can see though the curved elbow that needs bending is incredibly close to the plastic holding, so no where to get a vice on it, literally thin nose plies is all i can get in the gap.

http://photos.app.goo.gl/kmyDojv1F2J53cm49

There doesn't seem to be a way to remove the metal part of the break from the plastic holding, it's manufactured in. I'm worried about damaging the plastic part by applying too much force.

@kditrj2d, unfortunately Glisshop are in France. (I know - buyer beware).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had issues with glisshop and their after sales department. Despite admitting they were in the wrong, they refused to solve their own issues. I ended up taking my skis and bindings to a local ski shop and paying £30 for them to fix the issue. This was still way cheaper than buying here in the UK, was just a pain the bum and put me off the company!

I would email fischer and see what they say, if not send them back.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You should just point them to the Fischer website for the Fischer Stunner SLR 131 which clearly shows the correct bindings as FJ7 (78mm width).

https://www.fischersports.com/us_en/stunner-181?number=A20618.9002972291432&c=164 This is the spec for Stunner ski lengths 131 to 161

Just to add confusion the specs for the Stunner skis from 81 to 121 length show the FJ4 as being the correct binding.
https://www.fischersports.com/us_en/stunner-180?number=A20518.9002972291357&c=164

I would guess that Glisshop have inadvertently swapped bindings. Doesn't stop the fact that that the FJ4 are still too narrow for the smaller skis.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Funnily enough I first spoke to their sales department on Saturday - the same guy who I spoke to who was really helpful when I brought them. He agreed they were too small. Sadly I'm in the hands of their after sales who do not acknowledge there's a problem - though how someone can think argue a width of 74mm can fit around a width of 76mm is beyond me.

I'd ideally not want to send them back, my 8 year old is delighted with them, he was over the moon, he'll be gutted if he can't get to use them at half term this weekend.

I'll try contacting Fischer, though they have no email address on their website, just a contact us form (saying they'll respond in 3-4 days). Their FAQ page though tells you to refer all issues/complaints to the retailer/dealer.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I see that Glisshop are selling the Stunner in a 141 and 151 with the FJ7 binding
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I wonder if you can replacement brakes in the correct width?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've asked them if the brake unit will from the FJ7 will fit the FJ4 and if so perhaps they can send the brake unit and I can swap them as 78mm brake width would be fine.

Its very frustrating all for 2-3mm. If I could just bend the brake by 1 degree on each side they'd be fine.

In every other respect the FJ4 are fine and will easily last. My son is currently set to DIN 2 and they go up to 4.5, 45 kg skier weight- he'll have outgrown the skis way before he will have outgrown the bindings.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whilst I think glisshop should do the decent thing and sort you out with the correct brakes I think you can bend them. I seem to recall doing similar with a set of kids bindings, holding the central portion steady but not crushed in a vice and using two lengths of copper pipe to simultaneously bend both brakes.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gazzza, I can't offer advice on sorting the brake width, but Glisshop do offer a 100 day return-refund guarantee. I have used them three times for skis and up until this Christmas I have been delighted with them for price, service and delivery. The last order was a bit of disaster for delivery but in fairness it was mostly Colissimo having an extended christmas holiday and Swiss customs loosing the paperwork. Glisshop dealt with the problem reasonably well, eventually. So if you're unhappy I'd send them back.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Give the brakes a tweak. They are good skis, the mushette loved hers. Much better than the K2's that replaced them
snow conditions
Just grab 'em and bend 'em out a touch. No need for any tools, no need to send them back.

If they were completely failing to pass the edge then maybe you'ld have a problem, if they are just 'catching' then you have none.

I have done it dozens of times, better that than a brake way too big that risks dragging in a carve and doesn't 'lock' the skis together for carrying.
ski holidays
Is that the K2 Juvvy @musher ? Funnily enough I almost bought those instead but the bindings that came with them wouldn't quite stretch to the sole length of his boots (I've got him the expandable Roces Idea Free boots that grow around 4 sizes). They were also a bit shorter, whereas these 131's I think he should just about get two seasons out of them.
ski holidays
just bend them a bit - its normal practice and should not cause an issues.
snow report
Ah I think I've just had some success. I put the ski on the ski floor and, facing the back of the skis knelt on the brake retract plate (as a boot would press it when engaged) then put my thumbs on each elbow and my fingers inside each brake and bent outwards as hard as I could. I think it has just moved enough to give clearance. I'll be delighted if it stays that way and doesn't spring itself back to shape.

Meanwhile Glisshop have just emailed me again to continue deny responsibility or offer any form of assistance. They sent me a Fischer catalogue table extract showing the FJ4 bindings with the 131 length skis and told me again they are compatible. I've messaged Fischer seperately - it will be interesting what, if anything, they respond with.
latest report
Maybe point out to them their reputation is currently coming into question on the biggest ski forum in the UK.
snow report
Glisshop's returns policy refuses return of skis ordered pre-mounted. Don't know how this sits with the distance-selling regs...
ski holidays
@shep, probably treated as custom (mounted to a specific size).
snow conditions
@Gazzza, slide copper pipe over and bend out, job done
ski holidays
shep wrote:
Glisshop's returns policy refuses return of skis ordered pre-mounted. Don't know how this sits with the distance-selling regs...

Doesn't matter, 'your statuary rights are not effected' means goods sold should be of merchantable quality, these are not. no ski ever has been designed so the brakes clash on purpose so it is a defect. So they legally have to replace, repair or refund. How easy that is to get them to do is another matter.
snow conditions
Well I had a better reply from them yesterday acknowledging at least that although they are a Fischer compatible set (according to the Fischer retailer catalogue) yes they are too small and whilst it's not a perfect solution but bending them is the only way forward given my impending half term departure. Another staff member has since replied this morning to say they've contacted Fischer to see if Fischer can send a wider brake, so at least I feel they have acknowledged the problem and tried to do something about it, so they've won some of my opinion back.
Anyway I've managed to bend them now so at least they operate without catching or jamming every time, and they fully extend when detached (so should work if/when he stacks it and the bindings release), so good to go for half term. They did spring back to shape and started catching again after I put the brake retainer band on them to wax them up last night so I've bent them back again.

One happy 8 year old all set for half term. (actually technically still waiting on poles to be delivered from Decathlon, the first set got lost in transit to store).

Thank you, as always, to the collective wisdom of snowHead
latest report
@Gazzza, not wishing to put a downer on things. I had some skis where the breaks were quite close to the edge of the ski. It got clogged up with snow quite often and the brake arms wouldn't release. Was wary of getting anything without a bit of clearance after that.
snow report
Just thought I'd update this thread with the closure. Glisshop got in touch with Fischer who sent out new brakes and Glisshop posted them on to me. I just need to clip them in. So credit to them in the end.
I wonder if maybe their earlier responses to me that they couldn't do anything were perhaps lost in translation, and meant they couldn't do anything in time before my impending holiday, rather than couldn't do anything at all.

Anyway it all ended well. I'll have no problem ordering from Glisshop again.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy