Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First family ski trip -- any advice?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Any last minute tips for a first time ski family holiday? We're off to La Thuile next week. Very excited but a little bit nervous. 2 adults, 2 kids, 6 hours of dry slope lessons, zero hours on snow. 5 mornings of ski school booked for us all.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have an amazing time, best holiday in the world, pace yourself and don't forget the sunscreen for the kids in particular including proper UV lip screen and do under their chins as the snow is reflected upwards. Packet of haribo in their jacket pockets for when the sugar low hits. You're doing it right by having lessons so if you have the energy you can practice together in the afternoon. There's a million things people can advise you on but if you go with the flow you'll love it.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agree with @RobH2017, don't forget sunscreen and plenty of snacks for the kids.

It will take time to get everyone ready in the morning, especially as you're all beginners, so there'll be some faffing about with boots, etc., so allow for that so there's no mad rush to get to ski school on time. A good tip I read on here was to have stuff ready and out the night before, i.e. gloves, hats, etc. so you don't spend time in an increasing panic trying to get everything together in the morning.

Remember that it's a holiday, and therefore you should have fun, so don't feel you have to ski every afternoon, as when you're learning you get tired much quicker. Kids can enjoy just playing in the snow near the chalet. Take gondola up the mountain and enjoy a crêpe/hot chocolate/vin chaud in a mountain restaurant/bar while basking in the beautiful mountain scenery (if weather is nice). Have leisurely lunches, etc.

Basically just enjoy, go with the flow, and you'll have a great time I'm sure.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's great thanks @RobH2017 -- Haribo is a great shout
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mad for chelsea, thanks for the tips -- these are exactly the sort of things l hadn't really thought of. Thank you
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
1) Lift passes go into a specific zip pocket on their (and your) jacket on day 1. Make it a sleeve pocket or somewhere easy to get next to the reader. Nothing else goes in that pocket, ever. The zip is not touched all week.

2) Good base layers solve many problems.

3) If the kids are young, allow extra time for toilet emergencies. Ski boots plus salopettes can be a real faff, and you may be some way away from the nearest toilet.

Others will add more, but that's my top 3...

And most of all, enjoy. My boys are 14 and 16 and skiing the four of us (or 8 of us when we are with our friends and their kids next week in Obergurgl) is one of life's greatest joys.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
put a card with your mobile phone numbers into a zipped up pocket and make sure they know it's there!

Have fun, don't stress, the worst time is getting everyone ready in the mornings! Can you walk to the ski school meeting place or do you need to take a bus? If the latter think about how you are going to carry all the kit? If the kids are young they may not be able to carry skis morning 1 and get onto/off the bus
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good gloves (mitts?) are essential for all. Very few little ones...or big ones ...can cope with freezing fingers.
Idiot straps for gloves to avoid dropping and losing them - there is many a lonely glove to be seen under a chairlift! Some gloves have wrist straps attached but we like the long elasticated cord that attaches to each glove and goes through each arm. Unless the gloves need drying, there is no need to unclip them so eliminates the possibility for these to be lost.
Sun glasses and goggles.
Keep it fun and know when to call it a day!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The focus in responses so far on the stress of getting everybody kitted up and out the first morning is absolutely justified! You will presumably be hiring boots and skis the night before? Might be worth taking stuff for at least first morning breakfast. Kids favourite cereal etc
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I Always take two pairs of gloves one to wear one to dry. But then also covers if one gets lost!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
- Everything takes longer in ski boots. Start early to get to your morning lessons and you won't go wrong, start late and ski boot faffage will conspire to thwart you!
- Suncream, suncream, suncream.
- Ski pass in a zipped pocket. Noone touches that pocket.
- A few tissues can be useful as noses may run in cold air.
- A snack helps to maintain energy levels. Haribo, snack bar, handful of dried fruit, whatever does it for you.
- your mobile number, on a card in each child's picket. With their EHIC and insurance details.
- Pack some generic paracetamol and ibuprofen - a few pence in UK supermarket, several Euro in a pharmacy up a mountain.

Have fun - it's a brilliant family holiday!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How old are the kids?
There's a lot of faff around getting kitted up. Make sure they get in the habit of toilet/drinks just before getting kitted up in the morning. Teach them to put gloves on last after everything else is done. Don't put your last few layers on until they're at this stage otherwise you'll overheat and start to feel harassed with the faff/heat - or maybe that's just me Very Happy

Maybe take a bigger back pack than normal for when/if they need to take a few layers off?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How old are the kids?
There's a lot of faff around getting kitted up. Make sure they get in the habit of toilet/drinks just before getting kitted up in the morning. Teach them to put gloves on last after everything else is done. Don't put your last few layers on until they're at this stage otherwise you'll overheat and start to feel harassed with the faff/heat - or maybe that's just me Very Happy

Maybe take a bigger back pack than normal for when/if they need to take a few layers off?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dear all. Thank you very much -- what a brilliantly helpful community you have on here. I have learnt a lot of really useful things already which l hadn't thought of. We are going with a very open mind -- we're going there for a family holiday and the bonus is we are there to learn to ski and enjoy being in a ski resort, rather than think we need to nail 8 hours of skiing a day. Thanks again for all of the great tips.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@daleh, some great advice above and you're right not to focus on skiing 8 hours a day, an afternoon off to sledge etc can be a great way to spend time together and enjoy the mountains
snow report
Thanks @MHskier, kids are 11 and 9 and already are much more comfortable on skis than me. Thankfully the ski school meeting point is right outside our hotel so your advice on keeping faff levels low should be achievable! Thanks again
snow conditions
How old are the kids?

ski holidays
Just back from the area Smile The cafeteria at Les Suches has excellent pizza, a massive slice for 4 euros. Avoid the pizza at 'Off Shore', not nice at all, but still a nice place to stop for a drink.
ski holidays
You're getting excellent advice here, I wish I'd known this stuff when I first took my family!

The only thing I could add is that snow is for playing - playing on skis, but also just rolling around in snow, throwing snowballs, having hot chocolates and making yourself little snow chairs, etc. The more you play the more comfortable you'll be on skis and in the snow, and the faster you'll learn.

It's going to be A LOT of faff. I mean, a LOT LOT LOT. But it's totally worth it, skiing with my kid is the most fun I have doing anything.
latest report
@daleh, oh and a few things that may not be obvious for your first trip into the mountains.

Everything outside your boots apart from your legs and socks, don't have thermals (if cold) or any part of your ski trousers inside the boot, they will rub you raw and give you blisters. If you have thermal underlayers, chop them off to make them 3/4 or pull them up if possible.

Make sure the kids keep their googles/sunglasses on, snow blindness is horrible from having your eyes exposed to all the bright reflective light.

Where are you off to? Forecast is looking warm for next week which may mean some harder slopes in the morning, and if the slopes face the sun all day they could get slushy in the afternoon. Don't be afraid to ask your instructor(s) what slopes they'd recommend you to explore in the afternoons based on the weather, this could change daily!
ski holidays
@MHskier,

Quote:

Don't put your last few layers on until they're at this stage otherwise you'll overheat and start to feel harassed with the faff/heat -

Not just you...definitely a good piece of advice!
ski holidays
Thanks @kitenski. We're going to La Thuile and it does look like it is going to be warm. Will definitely keep thermals out of boots, goggles / glasses on and ask advice each day on where to go after lessons. Thanks Cool
snow report
@daleh, fantastic - Italian hot chocolates are the best in the alps Smile
latest report
depends on the age of your kids, but most of them get a break during lessons, generally small kids get a break and if they have a snack they can eat it, put a bag of haribo or small chocolate on their pocket for then - I believe sometimes teens do go into mountain restaurants to have their snack / chocolate break, so give them some money
talking about snacks, take something small for the adults and some for the afternoon - of course they sell lots of things at resort and you'll have some coffee/hot chocolate/mulled wine stop - but sometimes is nice to have a little something in the lift or while you wait

take some painkillers

for little kids, make sure their goggles are attached to their helmet and the gloves to their jacket - actually do that for all the family

getting out in the morning will take 50% more time than it usually does, factor that in

make sure you check what else it's happening at resort, yes skiing is fantastic, but night sledging, ski shows, even a snowball fight are all part of the experience

take an external battery for your phone, the cold will make your phone battery go down very fast
latest report
Actually @kitenski l hadn't given warm temperatures much thought.

To be honest l've just ignored the risk of bad weather / not much new snow. Blue sky sounds lovely but does a week of day time temperatures at 10+ degrees change things when you guys are planning your ski trips?
snow report
Quote:

To be honest l've just ignored the risk of bad weather / not much new snow

Good policy. Nothing you can do about it. New snow tends to equal "bad weather" for a beginner family. Sunshine and blue skies are really much more pleasant and the resort will keep the snow in the best possible shape - and ski instructors will know where to take you (which might be different in the morning from the afternoon, so asking for advice is a good idea).

You've done the most important thing - booked the whole family into ski school. Now just have fun. And let us know how it goes. Just be aware that once hooked you'll be committed to spending money on skiing every year! snowHead
latest report
Thank you @pam w, that's reassuring. Will write a little update when we get back in case it helps other first timers. Btw, we're already talking about continuing the weekly trips to dry slope when we get back -- we've really enjoyed the lessons.
snow conditions
daleh wrote:
Actually @kitenski l hadn't given warm temperatures much thought.

To be honest l've just ignored the risk of bad weather / not much new snow. Blue sky sounds lovely but does a week of day time temperatures at 10+ degrees change things when you guys are planning your ski trips?

We mostly skied at Easter with our kids, less layers on, and enjoyable breaks in the sun and having a beer as the sun sets all make it more enjoyable!

Each child is different, so you may find you don't need thermal layers etc. Make sure they and you drink enough water!

You'd also maybe need a higher sun cream factor, we'd use an all day factor 30.

Enjoy is the most important thing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Before the first morning work out how long it will take you all to get from your room to the ski room, find your kit, all kitted out out the door and to the ski school, then double it and allow that much and a bit extra for luck! There will be huge faffs with gloves left in room, boots too big, to small, the wrong colour, desperate trips to the loo for the 5th time and you really don't want to sprinting across the piste stressed out of your mind to join your ski school only to see them head of to lift before you join them. This worked for me first trip (single parent but from what I saw that may have made things easier!)
Keep in mind the kids will be better than the big people from lesson one (probably already are from dry slopes but even more so once they get in the mountains). Just live with it! Also kids are far more bouncy than big people, they can spectacularly stack it, get up and find their skis and carry on no harm done (other than to your nerves) but equally keep a close but discrete eye out to make sure they haven't picked up an injury as they are quite likely to try an ignore so as not to spoil their and everyone else's fun.
I'm sure you can spot the signs your kids are getting tired, that is the time to stop for the day or at least have a long snack and hot choc break. If your kids are anything like mine on their first ski holiday (aged 5 and 9, 15 and 19 now!) after day one they will want to be skiing from first lift to last and if there is any floodlit night skiing all the time that is open too but tiredness is when accidents happen, pace yourselves and force the kids to pace themselves.
If it is warm there is absolutely nothing wrong with loosing a layer or two, doubt it will be this warm for you but for Easter skiing my two frequently end up in just tshirt and fleece in the afternoon and once or twice over the years have been down to a long sleeve tshirt.
As @kitenski says listen to kids on how hot/cold they are, they all run at different comfort levels!
Above all have fun and don't get stressed!

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 14-02-19 20:48; edited 3 times in total
snow report
If you've all enjoyed dry slope lessons that bodes well for your encounter with snow. Even imperfect snow.
snow conditions
@daleh, lucky you lot! to reiterate some advice, (3 daughters from 16 years ago). Put your ski clothing on last, as it will be your job to get the kids boots done up in probably a very warm ski boot room. Sweating heavily before skiing is never good!. Enjoy lunch on the mountain, and drinks stops. Be prepared to spend a large proportion of your holiday budget on skiing in furture as I'm sure you will love it. Enjoy snowHead
snow conditions
Your toes should lightly touch the front of your boots when sitting, then pull back from there when you stand up and rest the weight forward on your shins on the boots. They're not meant to be comfy like slippers but shouldn't be crippling.

Make sure the hire shop show you how to put on and do up your boots. It's something people often get wrong and is not completely intuitive.

Take some compede or other similar blister plasters. I wish I'd known about these when I first skied.
latest report
If you find yourself getting tired or not feeling your best in the afternoon - knock it on the head. Avoid the just one more run routine if tired. Enjoy. You will love it. Best family holiday.
snow conditions
Make sure you have fun. If you want to go again in the future the kids need to have enjoyed it.
latest report
If you're staying in Planibel apartments then I heartily recommend the butcher there. Pop in in the morning and order a spit roast chicken and roast potatoes or a lasagne to pick up hot later that evening. Delicious.
ski holidays
Thank you all very much for your contributions today -- l have had some great advice which is definitely going to help us have a brilliant trip. All the best.
latest report
Use wool or polyester thermal underwear , don’t use cotton. It gets wet from sweat and stays wet, and the wearer gets cold. Plenty of good cheap stuff around these days.
latest report
But if going with wool (well merino) base layers get them to try it on at home to make sure it isn't itchy! My youngest can't wear even the finest merino as it makes her itch.
snow report
Plenty of good advice here. Other suggestions: Calpol melts or ibuprofen sachets in your napsack/pockets as you never know, the sun/lack of fluids can bring on a headache for the kids when you least expect it. Also, if any have allergies take children's antihistamine with you as it can be hard to get without a prescription. I used to send mine with haribo style sweets and the little sachets of pureed apple as it helps if they are thirsty. Have fun! And like the others have said, don't put on your top layer until the kids are all ready - then send the out into the cool while you get your boots on - amazing how having little one to worry about stops the adult boot faffing.
latest report
This thread is really useful so thank you for all the contributions. I've been around a dozen times to the slopes, but this April will be the first one that I take my daughter. It's just the two of us so can't wait! Picked up some really good tips/ideas from this thread, which I hadn't thought about myself.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy