Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Engelberg or Grindelwald?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So thinking about heading out to the Swiss Alps for a quick weekend. Will most likely fly to Zurich. Looking at resort options and there is reasonably priced accommodation is Engelberg and Grindelwald. Have never been to either resort so just wondering what the group view of these resorts is for a long weekend of relaxed skiing and eating. We can ski well both on and off piste.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Heading to Grindelwald tomorrow for Wed, Thur and Fri on the piste. Ski well on reds and blacks but prefer to stay on piste.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can’t speak for Engelberg, but Grindelwald certainly has lots of good skiing at the moment, with new snow due on Friday. Good eating too!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Grindelwald is in great shape with snow forecast. For a quick weekend go and have a look at Engleberg. The off piste options may be better.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@JimSearle, I've done Grindelwald for a long weekend a couple of years ago and certainly found it relaxed for piste skiing and good eating. We didn't do any off-piste but the tracked slopes suggest there is plenty lift-accessible if conditions allow. It has a good park and a ski-cross route in the "First" area if you're into that sort of thing. First is not a very big ski-area but from Grindelwald you can also get the train to Kleine Scheidegg or Gondola to Manlichen on the Wengen side, so you are unlikely to run out of options.

I had Engelberg as an option for a weekend trip this year but the feedback from SH was that it's great for off-piste but a bit hectic at the Gondola due to local weekenders, so that put me off a bit. Other than that I have no personal experience to share.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Both good options but Engelberg is an hour closer to Zurich. Both also quite expensive so why not look at an alternative German speaking option and fly to Innsbruck or Salzburg and save 20% on all your other costs? The whole of the Ski Amade is in amazing nick at the moment and St Anton is not looking too ropey either.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have skied both. Engelberg is a great off-piste destination, but the on-piste skiing is limited. Grindelwald has much more choice.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@panaga52,
Hi thanks, did look at both but neither have late flights (after 7pm) from Heathrow. You can take an 8pm fright from Heathrow to Zurich with Swiss, so can work a full day then shoot off.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Both are great resorts, but as already mentioned the weekend queue at the base station in Engleberg can be bad. Don’t recall similar problems in Grindelwald, but always stayed in the Wengen side. Maybe worth considering accom in Wengen rather than Grindelwald as I think it gives better options.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
as peterkct notes, engelberg is mostly a freeride resort. if you are adventurous, it's great, but not really a cruisy/foody destination. but if the snow is good, it can be epic
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would say Engelberg for off-piste and Grindelwald for piste skiing. However I didn't really ski off piste in Grindelwald last time I was there as there wasn't any!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For me the deciding factor would be the potential weekend crowds at Engelberg; I much prefer skiing there midweek. Then again, the lifts from Grindelwald up to Kleine Scheidegg or Mannlichen are pretty slow (though both should have a significant upgrade for next season). The biggest plus for Engelberg are the several long, committing off-piste routes, which may not fit with your definition of 'relaxed skiing'
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy