Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Zermatt-Cervinia Link Approved

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead

"The submission in the summer of 2018 of the project to construct a cableway link via a 3S cableway made by LEITNER ropeways between the stations at Testa Grigia and Matterhorn glacier paradise (Klein Matterhorn) generated intensive discussions between Zermatt Bergbahnen AG (ZBAG) and the complainant, the Swiss Foundation for Landscape Conservation (Stiftung Landschaftsschutz Schweiz, or SL). With both sides offering constructive proposals, an agreement has been reached and work can now start on the realization of an "Alpine Crossing" between Zermatt and Cervinia (Italy). Within the framework of these amicable talks, ZBAG and the SL signed an accord taking appropriate account of the interests of both parties.

For its part, the SL agrees that where the legal proceedings covering concession and planning approval are concerned, it will not object to the anticipated granting of concession and planning approval by the Federal Office of Transport for the LEITNER ropeways 3S cableway between Testa Grigia and the Matterhorn glacier paradise. In return, ZBAG affirms its commitment to promote quality tourism, provide a high-calibre experience of the mountains and natural surrounding and maintain a respectful approach to the environment.

Furthermore, ZBAG also pledges to remove the existing materials cableway between Cime Bianche in Italy and the Klein Matterhorn, plus the cross-border lift which is currently a component of the summer ski area, and restore the sites to their original condition. This is to be done upon receipt of the operating licence from the Federal Office of Transport. Agreement was also reached on the issues of the outside lighting of the mountain station and the colour scheme for the valley station with respect to improved integration of the buildings into the surrounding landscape.

The landscape is to be improved
It is hoped that opening up the design and use of the existing buildings to an architectural competition will improve the appearance of the landscape on Testa Grigia and integrate the development better into the surrounding mountain scenery and other natural features. As soon as ZBAG has produced the overall concept for the future infrastructure, design and operations on Klein Matterhorn, it will be presented to the SL so that mutually agreeable solutions can be arrived at where these are concerned too.

Scheduled for commissioning in 2021
Construction work is set to begin without delay on the new 3S cableway which will connect Zermatt with Italy all year round and form the highest Alpine crossing. The "Alpine Crossing" is scheduled to go into service in 2021."

https://www.zermatt.ch/en/Media/News/Alpine-Crossing-Vision-becomes-reallity
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Amazing news. I thought it might be more of a fight. It will certainly be interesting to see how many foot passengers we get between the two places once you can go from Zermatt to Breuil-Cervinia (or vice versa) without ever getting on skis.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It'll be interesting to see if this approval speeds up the Cervinia-Monte Rosa link.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
südtirolistdeutsch wrote:
It'll be interesting to see if this approval speeds up the Cervinia-Monte Rosa link.

That is the one I would really like to see built. For skiers the Testa Grigia to Klein Matterhorn lift is of little benefit. But linking Monte Rosa to Cervinia and Zermatt would be great.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

It will certainly be interesting to see how many foot passengers we get between the two places once you can go from Zermatt to Breuil-Cervinia (or vice versa) without ever getting on skis.

Aah, I was wondering what the point of that was! Presumably this is a cable car, so will be slightly less wind-affected than the current lift (he says, optimistically...)?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Presumably this is a cable car, so will be slightly less wind-affected than the current lift

Not sure I understand what you mean - there isn't a current lift between the two places?
The new 3S gondola up to Klein Matterhorn, which seemed pretty rock-solid when we were on it, was closed all day last Friday because of the wind, as were the upper Cervinia lifts - chairs and cablecar.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sorry, I meant the current connection...your right there isn't a lift between those two exact points
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As JohnMo says, the new route is aimed mainly at foot passengers, and doesn't help anyone skiing from Zermatt to Cervinia or vice-versa. Having said that, I'm not sure why the many Japanese etc foot passengers would want to go to Testa Grigia or Cervinia, or indeed how many foot passengers there would be coming from Cervinia, who would be prepared to pay the no-doubt hefty price of a one-trip ticket? I'm sure they've worked it all out. Of course the whole thing would still get the punters up the mountain when the snow runs out....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JohnMo wrote:

That is the one I would really like to see built. For skiers the Testa Grigia to Klein Matterhorn lift is of little benefit. But linking Monte Rosa to Cervinia and Zermatt would be great.

Does it really not do much for skiers? I've never been to Zermatt but it seems according to the trail map that the Testa Grigia link would help catapult skiers up to the top of the ski area, avoiding all the time it would take on the chair and drag lifts to get to the top?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
JohnMo wrote:

Does it really not do much for skiers? I've never been to Zermatt but it seems according to the trail map that the Testa Grigia link would help catapult skiers up to the top of the ski area, avoiding all the time it would take on the chair and drag lifts to get to the top?

That is true. It gets Italy based skiers direct from Testa Grigia up to Klein Matterhorn. But at present they have a pleasant ski down to Trockener Steg and then get the quick and comfortable new 3S cars up to Klein Matterhorn. Yes the former is better than the latter but I can’t see it is so much better that one would pay all those millions.

The fact that they are branding it the “Alpine Crossing” tells you what the aim is. They are not branding it the “Italians get to Klein Matterhorn without having to ski to Trockener Steg” lift.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This being a ski forum the great majority of folks here only go to Zermatt in the winter.

It is SO busy in the summer!
Loads of hikers, but LOADS of lookers from far flung parts of the world.

I think that this connection is aimed at those people rather than skiers...who will get a new way to move between areas as something of a by-product.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rungsp, sounds right to me. Most of the run from klein matterhorn to the border, is simply a bit of a motorway, then its a long schuss to avoid poling. No real benefit to skiers, except Cevinia skiers who presumeably would be able to now get to Klein Matterhorn on a Cervinia pass, and take the very long number6 down to Val Touranche.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
twoodwar wrote:
@rungsp, sounds right to me. Most of the run from klein matterhorn to the border, is simply a bit of a motorway, then its a long schuss to avoid poling. No real benefit to skiers, except Cevinia skiers who presumeably would be able to now get to Klein Matterhorn on a Cervinia pass, and take the very long number6 down to Val Touranche.
I'd be surprised if this cable car was included in the Cervinia local pass. The Cervinia lift company would have to pay for their customers to have the right to use it. I'm not sure it would be worth the cost. The run down from Klein Matterhorn to the top of Cervinia is not much of an attraction in itself; you only do it in order to carry on into Cervinia or to do the run down to Trockner Stegg.

I guess it would mean a skier would have the satisfaction of doing one of the longest runs in the world, which is what you get if you link this run to the Ventina (red 7) down to Cervinia base. (Or the even longer run to Valtournenche, if you ignore the little lift up over the lip.) And perhaps some Cervinia skiers would like the idea of sightseeing to the top of Klein Matterhorn. But Cervinia skiers who want to do these things can already pay to add a one-day Zermatt upgrade. I'm sceptical about the commercial benefit of adding this cable car as a standard feature of the local pass.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
twoodwar wrote:
I'd be surprised if this cable car was included in the Cervinia local pass. The Cervinia lift company would have to pay for their customers to have the right to use it. I'm not sure it would be worth the cost. The run down from Klein Matterhorn to the top of Cervinia is not much of an attraction in itself; you only do it order to carry on into Cervinia or to do the run down to Trockner Stegg.

I guess it would mean a skier would have the satisfaction of doing one of the longest runs in the world, which is what you get if you link this run to the Ventina (red 7) down to Cervinia base. (Or the even longer run to Valtournenche, if you ignore the little lift up over the lip.) And perhaps some Cervinia skiers would like the idea of sightseeing to the top of Klein Matterhorn. But Cervinia skiers who want to do these things can already pay to add a one-day Zermatt upgrade. I'm sceptical about the commercial benefit of adding this cable car as a standard feature of the local pass.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@koru, probably right. Given the cost, there must be a lot of summer tourists willing to pay!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy