Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do I choose which ski poles to buy?

Poster: A snowHead
Basically I need to buy a pair of ski poles and while extensive research has pointed me in the direction of 130cm long ones, there is very little out there on what the benefit is for spending more than £10 on the cheapest available.

I can see that being able to vary the length might be a good thing but doesn't appear to be so beneficial to me, it's worth spending loads on. I can see that having a safety release is a good thing but is it really simply about having a slightly cooler way to attach yourself to your pole? I'm quite drawn to the Leki Trigger S range but worry that I'm getting suckered into overpaying for a gimmick. Otherwise, there is loads of product information the benefit of which is not explained: e.g. the weight, does having lighter poles make a material difference? The diameter, what difference does that make? Better tip materials, are these worth paying extra for given that a pole plant is usually a tap, a brush on the surface or simply a swing through the air? The grip, does having a groove for each finger help you ski better than lining up the forefinger and letting the others arrange themselves?

I'm not averse to paying more because as so often stated, it's not a cheap sport. I just like to know what exactly it is I'm paying for.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IME. Things to consider:

1. The size and material of handle.....soft grip is nicer than hard plastic.

2. Handle loop adjustment....and whether there is a safety quick release.

3. Glove/pole connection systems

4. Adjustability....I had Goode poles that had adjustment by twisting the handle.

5. Material of shaft. Graphite is often thinner (more aerodynamic) and gives less of a shock up the arms, when pole planting (due to the "give"). Thin Aluminium is also an option....and there are even poles that combine both materials.

6. Size of the basket (Piste vs Off Piste) and whether you can get interchangeable baskets.

7. Whether you want a degree of built in forward angle, to help with pole planting position.

IMO. You value these attributes, in which case it will cost you £80-100.....or you just get the cheapest poles you can find and not worry about them being stolen.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Old Fartbag wrote:
IME. Things to consider:

2. Handle loop adjustment....

I know nothing about things but these two are really the only considerations I made when getting poles, need to be able to hold them, oh and matching my skis, that's important isn't it? Little Angel
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kittya wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
IME. Things to consider:

2. Handle loop adjustment....

I know nothing about things but these two are really the only considerations I made when getting poles, need to be able to hold them, oh and matching my skis, that's important isn't it? Little Angel

Matching the Skis is THE most important aspect, which is so obvious, I didn't feel the need to mention it.....and when one has superior poles, you should actually get skis to match them. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I loose/break poles so often that I go for the cheapest I can find. snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Other considerations are:

8. Are you a crash test dummy when skiing. If you trash polesmon a regular basis, buy disposable ones.

9. Do you lose stuff, or skimin resorts with known, theft issues. If so, as above buy disposable ones.

4a. If you get adjustable ones, make sure they are the cam lock type, rather than the twist to lock type. Test them out by locking them, then leaning on them hard, they shouldn’t move.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In this cold weather it’s worth investing in a pair with heated handles.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you're not buying flicklocks just buy the cheapies, lob pow baskets on them and jobs a good un. Then you're not arsed about them getting chipped, bent etc. Old skool Scott flanged pistol grips are worth having but you'll only find them on vintage used stock.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have these: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/fr-900-vario-ski-poles-id_8493887.html
Hard to fault at £29.95. Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
NeddySkiGoon wrote:
I loose/break poles so often that I go for the cheapest I can find. snowHead

But which causes which? Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Rather than how hard/soft the grip is I'd suggest how moulded it is is more important. A lot of poles I pick up in shops seem to expect you to have much bigger hands that I do, so even with a glove on my little finger's reasting on the ridge between third and little finger mouldings on the grip, which isn't exactly comfortable.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My missus uses basic aluminuium poles that she has had for 30 years.

Early in my skiing career I was notorious for bending and ultimately breaking poles. Obviously (?) I rarely fall these days so less of an issue. I currently use a pair of "Shocks" poles (made in US) that were purchased for a £1 in a charity shop!

I think all these fancy dan extras are just there to elicit extra ££££'s from the gullible.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Honestly - your choice of pole will make no difference to your piste skiing. Big baskets are really helpful for powder but you can change them.

I wouldn't spend any time thinking about your choice. Get something cheap in a colour you like
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Old Fartbag,

totally with you on this . . .poles that have no likeness to the brand / colourway of the owners skis are the sign of a complete imbecile and should be disposed of immediately.

In all seriousness, I like my rossi carbon freeride telescopics because they -

1 - Are light but strong
2 - Can be adjusted in height for different conditions
3 - The baskets can also be changed
4 - Everyone is jealous of them when I plonk them on the table in their knock down form at luncheon which makes for an interesting 10 sec convo about getting better poles . . . .cough
5 - Match my skis
6 - Have never been nicked because they follow me everywhere

Admittedly, I don't like the straps that much and have considered Leki Varios but that would definitely mean buying another pair of skis to match . . .
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I’d go for something quote cheap on as you willl scratch them, bend them and possibly lose them. As others has said getting a handle that suits the size of your hand is helpful. Don’t worry about wrist straps as in my opinion their only purpose is to hang the poles from a hook or ski tips - not to put aeound wrists while skiing as can cause nasty hand/wrist injuries in a crash.
ski holidays
Not sure Trigger S is worth the extra, my old man is still moaning of a thumb injury he picked up over new year when he bailed and they didn’t release.

I was given a set of Leki varios and really liked them up until they it trapped under a lift and bent. I now have 1.5 leki varios and not convinced that I want to spend another £45 to get the replacement half.
ski holidays
Belch wrote:
@Old Fartbag,

totally with you on this . . .poles that have no likeness to the brand / colourway of the owners skis are the sign of a complete imbecile and should be disposed of immediately.

In all seriousness, I like my rossi carbon freeride telescopics because they -

8 - haven't yet demonstrated to me how abrupt carbon failure can be
9 - add crucially to any all the gear image I am trying to project

Admittedly, I don't like the straps that much and have considered Leki Varios but that would definitely mean buying another pair of skis to match . . .

Only joking but snap a carbon pole once and you soon go back to as burly old school alu as you can find (not that I haven't destroyed many of those).
snow report
Well opinions here seem to be almost totally in accord. So much so, it made be double check whether I was on the right forum.

So cheap as chips it is, many thanks all. Unless there is anyone out there who has an opposite view...
snow report
jedster wrote:
Honestly - your choice of pole will make no difference to your piste skiing. Big baskets are really helpful for powder but you can change them.

I wouldn't spend any time thinking about your choice. Get something cheap in a colour you like

You talk BS, totally BS

Makes no difference. Ppfftttt.

LEKI HOT SHOTS

Those things have you skiing light a God

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I have a pair of Goode carbon poles which I acquired in 2001... more or less that means they’ve been skied for about 150 weeks... way, way, way longer than any other poles I have ever possessed.
ski holidays
And I would never go back to the faff of wrapping the straps around your wrists having enjoyed the Trigger S attach/release mechanism.

That said, don't get the carbon vario ones ... I managed to break two sets in a fairly short time !
latest report
Poles,
I've learnt my lesson.
I was treated to a top of the shop Leki carbon fibre a couple of Christmas's ago.
D profile S trigger in 115cm

I broke one of them ... but I still have the right one, yes there is a right and a left.

I think I compromised the construction by putting my ski bag on top of it in the boot of the car.
It took a couple of days to break after that.
Very nice poles, but I wont get another pair ... just the one will do.

I don't use straps and I even found the S trigger too much phaaf to use.

I think the best poles are (were) Goode Carbon Fibre very slim about 7mm diameter.
I had a pair given as a previous Christmas prezzie back in 1996 and they served me very well.
I forgot to bring them home from Soll a couple of years ago, but I'm sure someone is enjoying them still.

@Penry, If you are buying poles make sure you get them the proper length NOT the one that is probably recommended. @Dave of the Marmottes kindly pointed out that my poles were too long.
He was right, the recommended length poles for me are 125cm, but I ski much better with 115cm.
snow conditions
DrLawn wrote:

@Penry, If you are buying poles make sure you get them the proper length NOT the one that is probably recommended. @Dave of the Marmottes kindly pointed out that my poles were too long.
He was right, the recommended length poles for me are 125cm, but I ski much better with 115cm.

Are you sure he wasn't having you on? He responded up thread with talk of flanged flintlocks but no mention of reducing the recommended length. tbh I think I could use shorter poles right now but I'm determined to improve my posture, both frame and arms, so that the 130s work for me.

Lots of love for Goode poles. I went onto Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Goode-Products/b/ref=bl_dp_s_web_4491728031?ie=UTF8&node=4491728031&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Goode+Products&tag=amz07b-21 to find some very negative reviews based on the fact that they are supplied singly and not cheaply, although the cost is mainly postage and import duty.
snow report
No I wasn't having him on I'd seen him ski. Many people drop back 5cm or so when they've had chance to experiment with length. Gets you more forward and a massive help in bumps as it reduces " door opening".
snow conditions
Door opening?
snow report

A flanged Scott grip

Advantages
i Leverage
ii Old skool cool
iii Women will want to have sex with you

not all advantages proven. Ts &Cs apply.
snow conditions
Penry wrote:
Door opening?

When you leave your poleplant behind such that your upper body ends up rotating slightly back rather than getting forward for the next turn.
ski holidays
@Penry,
Door opening ... its swinging your arm out and around rather than just the twitch of the wrist.
I was, and probably still am a bit of a "door opener" ... I had too many lessons following a french instructor who was a very stylish "door opener" ... in the manor of a waiter showing you to your table with a flourish.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ah, that rings a bell. My left is like opening a door in a gale, my right more a light breeze.
snow report
@Penry I think good poles are really important,
and Goode poles are even better.
I just feel that heavy poles just disappoint.

The down side is you have to split your poles up in the same way as you leave your skis in two places when you pop into the Mooserwirt.
ski holidays
Colour
ski holidays
Quote:

@Penry I think good poles are really important,

reread that and try not to be embarrassed! Of course they aren't important. They might be nice Very Happy

I still have a pair of carbon poles which come out when the snow is hard (they have little baskets). They are quite nice. Most of the time I use some fairly ugly ally ones with big baskets and an extended foam grip down the shaft which is useful when traversing and general fiddlearsing off piste. Beyond that the choice makes no difference to my skiing.

I did have another pair of carbon poles that sheared 10cm above the basket leaving the tip in the piste and sharp fibres in the snow.

As for straps and clip mechanisms - I don't use them anymore. Unwise to use them off piste so trained myself not to use them at all - really just needs a little tightening of your grip as you plant. I do occasionally put them on for a long skate and they are handy for hanging the poles.
ski holidays
@jedstar why don't you use straps and clips mechanism for off piste?
ski holidays
PaulC1984 wrote:
jedster wrote:

You talk BS, totally BS

Makes no difference. Ppfftttt.

LEKI HOT SHOTS

Those things have you skiing light a God

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

This, much kudos to be gained both on the slopes (thought you need to be picky to get maximum fanboy exposure), and also in the bar at the end of the day....... For those who are a little less inclined for slopetime drinking, just use Blackcurrent cordial with a light splash of something alcoholic to pretend. Very Happy
snow report
jedster wrote:
As for straps and clip mechanisms - I don't use them anymore. Unwise to use them off piste so trained myself not to use them at all - really just needs a little tightening of your grip as you plant. I do occasionally put them on for a long skate and they are handy for hanging the poles.

Same here minus using them for a long skate.

It's funny with gear... some things I think are genuinely worth spending a bit/lot of money on... other things are not... currently for me....

Spend - boots (customised by CEM - definitely worth the £), jacket (I go out in all weathers and need that protection), skis (of course, it's the wheels man)

Mid-price - goggles (need good peripheral and no fogging), mid-layers

Cheap - poles (charity shop!), socks (Aldi), sunnies (Bolle protective glasses from Tool Station)
snow conditions
Who knew Lange made skis?

I had some (SLS, I think) and hated them, as they were much too stiff...but at the time were what the SCGB recommended to me...anyway, what has this got to do with Poles? Well I got shot of the skis (to a heavy friend in the early 80s), but still have the matching Poles (Navy Blue, with orange grips, leather straps with safety release system and big, old school (orange ) baskets.

I wonder if these are the only ones still in existence?

(They don't seem to be getting me more sex, for some reason).
ski holidays
Hmmm, in limited sampling, a Uni chum (1985) had too short poles which encouraged bending forward from the waist.
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:

A lack of flange?
snow conditions
Penry wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

A lack of flange?

Nope. They have an even bigger flange than those photographed....maybe it's too imposing. Puzzled
ski holidays
Penry wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

A lack of flange?

You have to be careful when insinuating about the size of your pole and your skills in using it. Pole use is a dance not a simple in out transaction wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy